Linksys Wireless Adapter on Windows Me - No Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Dick, Aug 17, 2007.

  1. Dick

    Dick Guest

    I have two computers running Windows Me. Trying to get one of them to
    connect to the Internet. Using Linksys WUSB54g wireless adapter.
    Used same Linksys CD to install the drivers on both. Using the same
    Linksys adapter. One computer, a Sony laptop, connects to my router
    perfectly and to the Internet. The other computer, a Compaq desktop,
    connects to the router, but does not connect to the Internet.

    When I look at the Network settings in Control Panel on both
    computers, I see one big difference. On the computer that connects OK
    (the laptop) there is a specific protocol TCP/IP entry listed as
    TCP/IP - Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter. On the computer that
    doesn't see the Internet (Compaq), it shows only the generic Windows
    TCP/IP protocol. What do I have to do to get the Linksys TCP/IP
    installed on the Compaq?

    Dick, Aug 17, 2007

  2. Hi
    Look at the Device manger and make sure that the installation of the
    wireless card is valid and there is No Ghosts.
    This is for WinXP (I do no have screen shots for WinME) but should be
    similar to WinME, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#ghost
    Please note that your wireless cards would work as 802.11b since they need
    USB2 to work as 802.11g
    For older laptops it is better to use PCMCIA Wireless Cards.
    You should also consider upgrading the OS, WinME does not provide great
    network experience.
    If the laptops are too old for WinXP you can use Win2000. Most laptop that
    can work with Win ME would work with Win2000 as well.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 17, 2007

  3. Dick

    Dick Guest

    No ghosts. And adapter does connect fine with the wireless router.
    It just doesn't make it to the Internet.

    This computer belongs to a friend who can't afford to update right
    now. So I am stuck trying to get it to work with Me. The Compaq is
    actually much newer than the laptop, but only the laptop works with
    the adapter. All of my own computers besides my old laptop work fine
    on the network, but I am using Windows XP Pro for most of them.

    Dick, Aug 17, 2007
  4. Hi
    What do you mean by can connect to the Router?
    Can you type the Router's core IP to the browser and get the Router menus
    from the "bad" computer?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 17, 2007
  5. Dick

    Jim Guest

    "Dick" <> wrote in message
    > No ghosts. And adapter does connect fine with the wireless router.
    > It just doesn't make it to the Internet.

    Isn't this all that the adapter is supposed to do? Isn't it the job of the
    router to connect every computer to the internet?

    Jim

    Jim, Aug 17, 2007
  6. Dick

    Dick Guest

    The Linksys Network Monitor reports a valid connection to the router.
    Signal strength full. Link Quality full. Reports transmit rate,
    receive rate, packets received and transmitted, IP address, subnet
    mask, default gateway, DHCP client enabled, MAC address and a bunch of
    other data. Yes, I can bring up the router menu using the browser on
    the "bad" computer. Just can't connect to the Internet.

    I get the very common error message of, "You are connected to the
    access point, but the internet cannot be found." If I google that
    phrase, I get pages of responses, but most refer to fixs for XP.
    Don't see much help for Me.

    Dick

    Dick, Aug 17, 2007
  7. Hi
    WinME is much older than the Wireless "Boom", and was always considered as a
    network "klutz", so it is hard to find online info.
    It is quite puzzling. Do you use the Wireless security? Try with the
    security off.
    If the computer has a wire NIC try to connect with Wire so you can determent
    whether is the computer or the Wireless part of the Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 18, 2007
  8. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions Jack. Yes, I was using the same security
    as the rest of the computers on my network. It's just really strange
    that two computers, using the same install CD, the exact same adapter,
    and the same OS would act so differently on the network. I have given
    up trying to get it going, and am recommending to my friend that she
    just donate this computer and start with a new one. The fact that
    Windows Me is no longer supported by Microsoft, which leaves one wide
    open to security issues, makes getting a new computer almost
    mandatory. Especially when she wants to go to broadband in place of
    her dial-up connection. The 633 Celeron processor, small hard drive
    and lack of adequate RAM memory in the Compaq just makes this a lose,
    lose situation all the way around. It didn't have a NIC, so I didn't
    try a wired connection. Probably would have worked, I have decided
    that I will no longer try to help people who don't have at least XP on
    their computer. Too much agravationThanks again.

    Dick

    Dick, Aug 18, 2007