Linksys WAP/Router connectivity

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ed Rust, Nov 29, 2003.

  1. Ed Rust

    Ed Rust Guest

    I recently purchased a WRT54G WAP/Router, WPC11 (laptop) adapter and
    WMP11 (desktop) adapter. Connections are as follows:

    All components set to "Infrastructure" mode
    SSID "off"
    WEP "off"
    Channel 6 (default)
    One wired connection to router (in addition to the two wireless ones)
    Uplink on WAP/Router connected to cable broadband modem
    Wired desktop OS is Win98
    Wireless desktop OS is Win98SE
    Wireless laptop OS is WinME

    Now the problem--

    All the computers can see the Internet connection through the router -
    connectivity is just fine.
    _None_ of the computers can see each other in "Network Neighborhood"
    (Win98) or "My Network Places" (WinME). I installed the ME network
    wizard on all three machines, per the instructions for ME. All three
    machines have TCP/IP installed as the only protocol, and file and
    printer sharing is enabled on each.

    And the question--

    What have I done wrong???

    I'm a retired network/systems administrator (whose active working life
    ended with NT4 SP6) - so the problem has to be too simple for me to see
    it 8)

    TIA for any help, and if any additional info is needed, please ask.

    Ed
    Ed Rust, Nov 29, 2003

  2. Ed Rust

    Ljuteplow Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:53:52 -0600, Ed Rust wrote:

    > I recently purchased a WRT54G WAP/Router, WPC11 (laptop) adapter and
    > WMP11 (desktop) adapter. Connections are as follows:
    >
    > All components set to "Infrastructure" mode
    > SSID "off"
    > WEP "off"
    > Channel 6 (default)
    > One wired connection to router (in addition to the two wireless ones)
    > Uplink on WAP/Router connected to cable broadband modem
    > Wired desktop OS is Win98
    > Wireless desktop OS is Win98SE
    > Wireless laptop OS is WinME
    >
    > Now the problem--
    >
    > All the computers can see the Internet connection through the router -
    > connectivity is just fine.
    > _None_ of the computers can see each other in "Network Neighborhood"
    > (Win98) or "My Network Places" (WinME). I installed the ME network
    > wizard on all three machines, per the instructions for ME. All three
    > machines have TCP/IP installed as the only protocol, and file and
    > printer sharing is enabled on each.
    >
    > And the question--
    >
    > What have I done wrong???
    >
    > I'm a retired network/systems administrator (whose active working life
    > ended with NT4 SP6) - so the problem has to be too simple for me to see
    > it 8)
    >
    > TIA for any help, and if any additional info is needed, please ask.
    >
    > Ed

    Did you have any of the three wired prior to installing a WAP and did they
    see each other?

    I never had much luck with stable -hard wired- ad-hoc netbios let alone
    wireless in Win98. Win2K improved up this and XP made it too easy between
    Win2K and XP peers and even between SMB peers. I have the same WAP/Router
    as you and have a WPC11 and a Belkin 45G PCM cards. And I can see the
    shares on both my Redhat 9 linux box and my XP Pro box using either PCM
    card.
    Ljuteplow, Nov 29, 2003

  3. Ed Rust

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Install netbeui.

    pcbutts1, Nov 29, 2003
  4. Ed Rust

    Sparky Guest

    Have you actually set any of the resources to share on any of the machines?

    Are all of them set to the same workgroup?

    Sparky, Nov 29, 2003
  5. Ed Rust

    Billh Guest

    I will agree with you and add are you running any firewall software?

    Billh, Nov 30, 2003
  6. Ed Rust

    Ed Rust Guest

    pcbutts1 wrote:

    Won't that just add additional, unnecessary packet overhead on the
    wireless connections? Since the router uses NAT behind its firewall,
    there's no danger in running TCP/IP within the network, and I don't
    understand why it should be necessary to add (an)additional protocol(s)
    to enable the machines to see each other. Am I simply _wrong_ in that
    assumption? 8)

    Ed

    > Install netbeui.

    > "Ed Rust" <> wrote in message

    <Lengthy problem / question snipped>

    Ed Rust, Nov 30, 2003
  7. Ed Rust

    Ed Rust Guest

    Sparky wrote:

    > Have you actually set any of the resources to share on any of the machines?

    From original post > and file and printer sharing is enabled on each.

    > Are all of them set to the same workgroup?

    Yes

    <Snip original long question / problem>

    Ed Rust, Nov 30, 2003
  8. Ed Rust

    Ed Rust Guest

    Billh wrote:

    > I will agree with you and add are you running any firewall software?

    No, other than the hardware "firewall" provided by the router through
    NAT.

    <lengthy original post and previous reply snipped>

    Ed Rust, Nov 30, 2003
  9. Ed Rust

    landivision Guest

    Billh wrote:
    > I will agree with you and add are you running any firewall software?
    >

    >>Have you actually set any of the resources to share on any of the

    > machines?
    >
    >>Are all of them set to the same workgroup?
    >>

    >>Ed Rust wrote:
    >>
    >>>I recently purchased a WRT54G WAP/Router, WPC11 (laptop) adapter and
    >>>WMP11 (desktop) adapter. Connections are as follows:
    >>>
    >>>All components set to "Infrastructure" mode
    >>>SSID "off"
    >>>WEP "off"
    >>>Channel 6 (default)
    >>>One wired connection to router (in addition to the two wireless ones)
    >>>Uplink on WAP/Router connected to cable broadband modem
    >>>Wired desktop OS is Win98
    >>>Wireless desktop OS is Win98SE
    >>>Wireless laptop OS is WinME
    >>>
    >>>Now the problem--
    >>>
    >>>All the computers can see the Internet connection through the router -
    >>>connectivity is just fine.
    >>>_None_ of the computers can see each other in "Network Neighborhood"
    >>>(Win98) or "My Network Places" (WinME). I installed the ME network
    >>>wizard on all three machines, per the instructions for ME. All three
    >>>machines have TCP/IP installed as the only protocol, and file and
    >>>printer sharing is enabled on each.
    >>>
    >>>And the question--
    >>>
    >>>What have I done wrong???
    >>>
    >>>I'm a retired network/systems administrator (whose active working life
    >>>ended with NT4 SP6) - so the problem has to be too simple for me to
    >>>see it 8)
    >>>
    >>>TIA for any help, and if any additional info is needed, please ask.
    >>>
    >>>Ed

    try adding each machine to the host file on each machine.
    ie: if on a 192.168.1.1 each host file could look like -
    192.168.1.1
    192.168.1.2
    192.168.1.3
    all three machine's should then at least see eachother
    I'm on a mac at the moment so I am not sure of the path on win98/me, but
    2000/xp is windows/system32/drivers/etc i think. their is a knowledge
    base article on microsoft with the correct path if you are unable to
    fine it. anyways...good luck
    landivision, Dec 1, 2003