Linksys VoIP boxes NOT tied to a particular provider?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ramon F Herrera, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. If you look in the Linksys pages, you will find that they only offer
    two devices which combine NAT routing and SIP telephony, for domestic
    use:

    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...687006&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

    1) PAP2: This seems to be a Sipura (now Linksys). In the manual they
    refer exclusively to Vonage. In my experience the Sipura boxes don't
    have the capacity to drive a LAN, as their NAT capabilities are lacking
    and the most you can connect to them is ONE PC (in the PC port).
    Sometimes not even one connected PC will work, because as soon as you
    connect it, the audio will become impossible to understand.

    2) RT41P2-AT: This is a much more capable device, combining the NAT
    abilities of a Linksys product with the SIP abilities of a Sipura.
    Looks like it should fill my needs. EXCEPT that this product only
    works in conjunction with the AT&T CallVantage service.

    So, it looks like the folks at Sipura/Linksys/Cisco believe that if you
    want to experience IP telephony from your home, you have to sign with
    AT&T.

    Isn't there a RT41P2-NA??

    -Ramon F Herrera

    Technical note: I have assembled a SIP network with about a dozen ATAs
    in 4 countries, and have seen all kinds of NATs, etc.

    Ramon F Herrera, Feb 13, 2006

  2. Ramon F Herrera

    Norm Young Guest

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > If you look in the Linksys pages, you will find that they only offer
    > two devices which combine NAT routing and SIP telephony, for domestic
    > use:
    >
    > http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...687006&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
    >

    > 1) PAP2: This seems to be a Sipura (now Linksys). In the manual they
    > refer exclusively to Vonage. In my experience the Sipura boxes don't
    > have the capacity to drive a LAN, as their NAT capabilities are lacking
    > and the most you can connect to them is ONE PC (in the PC port).
    > Sometimes not even one connected PC will work, because as soon as you
    > connect it, the audio will become impossible to understand.
    >
    > 2) RT41P2-AT: This is a much more capable device, combining the NAT
    > abilities of a Linksys product with the SIP abilities of a Sipura.
    > Looks like it should fill my needs. EXCEPT that this product only
    > works in conjunction with the AT&T CallVantage service.

    Well I hope the RT41P2 is better implemented than the RT31P2.

    I had nothing but grief with that box whenever the LAN/WAN ports
    were heavily loaded (hanging & self-rebooting). I suspect a very
    badly implemented NAT which can't handle a large number of
    connections.

    I finally convinced Vonage to swap it out for an RTP-300 which
    is more stable under heavy load but doesn't seem to implement
    any QoS/priority for the voice stream. Under heavy load you
    can't even originate or receive a call and although the RTP-300
    doesn't crash or hang, you can forget about making/receiving
    phone calls while running a bit-torrent for example.

    Overall I'm very disappointed with the Linksys products I've
    tried, they are certainly not what I've come to expect from a
    product with the name Cisco on the box.

    Norm

    Norm Young, Feb 15, 2006

  3. [Norm Young:]
    > I had nothing but grief with that box whenever the LAN/WAN ports
    > were heavily loaded (hanging & self-rebooting). I suspect a very
    > badly implemented NAT which can't handle a large number of
    > connections.

    Well, you have to keep in mind that the NAT devices we are talking
    about are designed for *domestic* networks, with only a handful PCs.
    If I am connecting an office, I would use a real Cisco router.

    -Ramon

    Ramon F Herrera, Feb 15, 2006