    tone?

    If I'm actually on a call then callers receive the ringing tone whilst I
    get the call waiting beep, so that works fine.

    BC, Feb 10, 2007

  2. BC

    PhilT Guest

    On Feb 10, 9:21 am, BC <> wrote:
    > I have a standard wired phone connected to the ATA which is working
    > great with Sipgate. The only thing is - if my phone is off the hook but
    > not actually on a call, callers from BT lines do not hear any tones at
    > all and number unobtainable message is generated from Virgin mobile.
    >
    > Is it possible to change any settings so that callers receive an engaged
    > tone?

    you could change your settings to not leave the phone off the hook :)

    > If I'm actually on a call then callers receive the ringing tone whilst I
    > get the call waiting beep, so that works fine.

    I suspect its a Sipgate network thing. Quite common to not hear
    ringing tones when
    calling a sipgate number from a BT line.

    Phil

    PhilT, Feb 11, 2007

  3. BC

    Jono Guest

    PhilT formulated the question :
    > I suspect its a Sipgate network thing. Quite common to not hear
    > ringing tones when
    > calling a sipgate number from a BT line.

    Really?

    I was under the impression that ringing was generated by the device &
    not the provider....?

    I can't say I've noticed a high (or low, for that matter) incidence of
    no ringing on Sipgate "lines"

    Jono, Feb 11, 2007
  4. Thus spaketh Jono:
    > PhilT formulated the question :
    >> I suspect its a Sipgate network thing. Quite common to not hear
    >> ringing tones when
    >> calling a sipgate number from a BT line.

    > Really?
    >
    > I was under the impression that ringing was generated by the device &
    > not the provider....?
    >
    > I can't say I've noticed a high (or low, for that matter) incidence of
    > no ringing on Sipgate "lines"

    No problems here with people not hearing the ring back when calling my
    Sipgate number from a BT line or any other line for that matter.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 11, 2007
  5. BC

    PhilT Guest

    On Feb 11, 2:41 pm, Jono <> wrote:

    > I was under the impression that ringing was generated by the device &
    > not the provider....?

    nope. You get a ringing tone before contact has been made to the
    device. I suspect the ring tone is generated by the BT exchange (its
    always the same ring tone on a BT line) in response to some status
    indication from the provider - I think its the latter that goes titsup
    occasionally and the exchange is waiting to be told what the score is
    (engaged etc) and remains silent pending the notification.

    I've had silent calls dialling a Sipgate number and had people sound
    surprised "oh you are there, it wasn't ringing". Not a high proportion
    of calls but not zero either.

    It may be something around voicemail signalling falling over too, the
    device is engaged (off hook) so it diverts to voicemail and that
    doesn't respond.

    Its one of those intermittent things you can never quite pin down and
    often a redial solves it anyway.

    Phil

    PhilT, Feb 11, 2007
  6. BC

    Scope Guest

    BC wrote:
    > I have a standard wired phone connected to the ATA which is working
    > great with Sipgate. The only thing is - if my phone is off the hook but
    > not actually on a call, callers from BT lines do not hear any tones at
    > all and number unobtainable message is generated from Virgin mobile.
    >
    > Is it possible to change any settings so that callers receive an engaged
    > tone?
    >
    > If I'm actually on a call then callers receive the ringing tone whilst I
    > get the call waiting beep, so that works fine.

    If the SPA2101 is anything like the PAP2 (and I suspect it is) you can
    change the following setting under the LINE tab:

    Call Waiting Serv:

    Set this to NO and you get an engaged tone if you are on the phone.. I
    had the same problem before, and the above sorted it out.

    Scope, Feb 11, 2007
  7. Thus spaketh Scope:
    > BC wrote:
    >> I have a standard wired phone connected to the ATA which is working
    >> great with Sipgate. The only thing is - if my phone is off the hook
    >> but not actually on a call, callers from BT lines do not hear any
    >> tones at all and number unobtainable message is generated from
    >> Virgin mobile. Is it possible to change any settings so that callers
    >> receive an
    >> engaged tone?
    >>
    >> If I'm actually on a call then callers receive the ringing tone
    >> whilst I get the call waiting beep, so that works fine.

    > If the SPA2101 is anything like the PAP2 (and I suspect it is) you can
    > change the following setting under the LINE tab:
    >
    > Call Waiting Serv:
    >
    > Set this to NO and you get an engaged tone if you are on the phone.. I
    > had the same problem before, and the above sorted it out.

    That seems to work when you are actually on the call (as does call
    waiting work as posted above), but either setting with call waiting on
    or off, if you pick the phone up and then phone is waiting for the
    digits to dial, then you get the problem described above, this happens
    not just from Sipgate lines, but from other providers too.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 11, 2007
  8. BC

    Scope Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

    > That seems to work when you are actually on the call (as does call
    > waiting work as posted above), but either setting with call waiting on
    > or off, if you pick the phone up and then phone is waiting for the
    > digits to dial, then you get the problem described above, this happens
    > not just from Sipgate lines, but from other providers too.

    Whats the chances of that happening? Surely you dont hold the phone for
    long before dialing the numbers? :)

    Scope, Feb 11, 2007
  9. BC

    BC Guest

    PhilT wrote:

    > I suspect its a Sipgate network thing. Quite common to not hear
    > ringing tones when
    > calling a sipgate number from a BT line.
    >
    > Phil

    No problem with ringing tones its just the busy tone. With landlines if
    a phone is off the hook then someone calling that number receives the
    busy tone, with my Sipgate line the person calling my Sipgate number
    gets no tone at all or number "not recognised" from a mobile.

    If anyone else has a Spigate line give it a try, let me know if you get
    the same thing.

    BC, Feb 11, 2007
  10. Thus spaketh Scope:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >
    >> That seems to work when you are actually on the call (as does call
    >> waiting work as posted above), but either setting with call waiting
    >> on or off, if you pick the phone up and then phone is waiting for the
    >> digits to dial, then you get the problem described above, this
    >> happens not just from Sipgate lines, but from other providers too.

    > Whats the chances of that happening? Surely you dont hold the phone
    > for long before dialing the numbers? :)

    Usually only the second or so that it takes to dial the number (input
    number first then press dial), but several times someones tried calling
    in that split second.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 11, 2007
  11. Thus spaketh BC:
    > PhilT wrote:
    >

    >> I suspect its a Sipgate network thing. Quite common to not hear
    >> ringing tones when
    >> calling a sipgate number from a BT line.
    >>
    >> Phil
    >>

    > No problem with ringing tones its just the busy tone. With landlines
    > if a phone is off the hook then someone calling that number receives
    > the busy tone, with my Sipgate line the person calling my Sipgate
    > number gets no tone at all or number "not recognised" from a mobile.
    >
    > If anyone else has a Spigate line give it a try, let me know if you
    > get the same thing.

    I get the same from not only Sipgate, but others too.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 11, 2007
  12. BC

    BC Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Thus spaketh BC:
    >> PhilT wrote:
    >>

    >>> I suspect its a Sipgate network thing. Quite common to not hear
    >>> ringing tones when
    >>> calling a sipgate number from a BT line.
    >>>
    >>> Phil
    >>>

    >> No problem with ringing tones its just the busy tone. With landlines
    >> if a phone is off the hook then someone calling that number receives
    >> the busy tone, with my Sipgate line the person calling my Sipgate
    >> number gets no tone at all or number "not recognised" from a mobile.
    >>
    >> If anyone else has a Spigate line give it a try, let me know if you
    >> get the same thing.

    > I get the same from not only Sipgate, but others too.

    I thought that was probably the case, there seems to be quite a few
    posts on Voxilla about VOIP systems not generating a busy tone.

    Ah well I can live with that. I have to say the Linksys is a great unit
    and with the UK ring tone settings it's more to my liking than the
    Grandstream 486 I was using before. Have people reported success with
    using a fax on Sipgate?

    Guess I can drop the BT line now I'm happy with this set up :)

    BC, Feb 11, 2007
  13. BC

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "BC" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > No problem with ringing tones its just the busy tone.
    > With landlines if a phone is off the hook then someone
    > calling that number receives the busy tone, with my
    > Sipgate line the person calling my Sipgate number gets no
    > tone at all or number "not recognised" from a mobile.
    > If anyone else has a Spigate line give it a try, let me
    > know if you get the same thing.

    I get call waiting bleeps and the caller gets ringing tone.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 11, 2007
  14. BC

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "BC" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > I thought that was probably the case, there seems to be
    > quite a few posts on Voxilla about VOIP systems not
    > generating a busy tone.

    That's because they don't.

    > Ah well I can live with that. I have to say the Linksys
    > is a great unit and with the UK ring tone settings it's
    > more to my liking than the Grandstream 486 I was using
    > before. Have people reported success with using a fax on
    > Sipgate?

    I've used it occasionally with G711a but it won't work with anything less.
    T38 isn't currently supported on Sipgate.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 11, 2007
  15. BC

    BC Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    >> No problem with ringing tones its just the busy tone.
    >> With landlines if a phone is off the hook then someone
    >> calling that number receives the busy tone, with my
    >> Sipgate line the person calling my Sipgate number gets no
    >> tone at all or number "not recognised" from a mobile.
    >> If anyone else has a Spigate line give it a try, let me
    >> know if you get the same thing.

    > I get call waiting bleeps and the caller gets ringing tone.
    >
    > Ivor

    No I mean if the phone is off the hook but not on a call, i.e. when you
    lift the handset and start to enter the number, before the call is
    connected.

    BC, Feb 11, 2007