    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:29:29 up 2 days, 8:56, 3 users, load average: 0.03, 0.50, 0.38

    alexd, Jul 4, 2008

  2. alexd <> writes:
    >This little beastie has a very Cisco-esqe CLI, and after googling a few
    >of the commands, I noticed that it is in fact identical to a Dell
    >Powerconnect 3324 [amongst others], but not identical to IOS. So, are
    >Dell re-badging Linksys? Linksys re-badging Dell? Or Linksys and Dell
    >both using the same ODM? Seems unlikely. Surely Linksys would be using
    >Cisco's in-house experience rather than going out to an ODM like Marvell?

    Linksys is all on their own. I haven't seen much if any cross over
    from classic cisco to linksys and vice-versa. To me, it seems that
    Cisco bought linksys purely to get their name more well known in
    consumer gear that is likely stocked at BestBuy and not much more..

    I've heard from elsewhere that HP designs/OEMs the insides of the Dell
    switches. The CLI in the Dell is different than the HP. Both of their
    feature sets are very simular, but then again, most switches in that
    class are very close as well.

    Linksys had their own design department before the aquisition
    and I'd imagine that it continues to be self-sufficient outside of Cisco.

    Doug McIntyre, Jul 5, 2008

  3. alexd

    alexd Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 04:48:46 +0000, Doug McIntyre wrote:

    > Linksys had their own design department before the aquisition and I'd
    > imagine that it continues to be self-sufficient outside of Cisco.

    I suppose if you're turning over ~$30B a year, then saving a few million
    here and there on "synergies" isn't worth the effort.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    10:06:53 up 2 days, 20:33, 3 users, load average: 0.75, 0.39, 0.21

    alexd, Jul 5, 2008