LinkSys router WRT54GC problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Alojzy Majchrzak, Dec 25, 2008.

  1. Hello!

    My sister has a problem with LinkSys router WRT54GC.
    Initialy she didn`t set up network access encryption on configuration
    settings on ruter.
    When I noticed it I wanted to do it but router address
    http://192.168.1.1/setup.htm didn`t open me a web configuration page.
    I tried to do it on two computer. One was connected to router by cable and
    another one used wi-fi connnected to net .
    Configuration page didn`t opened on both of them.
    I heard that when I use wi-fi connection there is such security which
    doesn`t let me open router configuration page and I have to use cable
    connection, but when I`ve done it it didn`t make success.
    My sister use proxy server to use internet - because network company forces
    to do that their users. So I have tried to unable proxy configuration on IE
    7.0 for a while but it also didn`t open me router configuration page.:(
    I opened cmd and I pinged this adress 192.168.1.1 I got 4 sucesss responses.
    I have a gateway in ipconfig /all set: 192.168.1.1.

    I don`t know what it is and why I cannot access to 192.168.1.1

    Can you help me?
    I add that my sister has Windows Vista system (wi-fi connected to router)
    but on the other computer which has Windows XP (cable connected to router)
    there is also no possibility to open 192.168.1.1 address.

    I couldn`t find any real solution on the internet. The router was rebooted
    many times and it also didn`t make a positive result.

    Thank you in advance for any help

    Alojzy Majchrzak, Dec 25, 2008

  2. Alojzy Majchrzak

    Paul Guest

    Alojzy Majchrzak wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > My sister has a problem with LinkSys router WRT54GC.
    > Initialy she didn`t set up network access encryption on configuration
    > settings on ruter.
    > When I noticed it I wanted to do it but router address
    > http://192.168.1.1/setup.htm didn`t open me a web configuration page.
    > I tried to do it on two computer. One was connected to router by cable and
    > another one used wi-fi connnected to net .
    > Configuration page didn`t opened on both of them.
    > I heard that when I use wi-fi connection there is such security which
    > doesn`t let me open router configuration page and I have to use cable
    > connection, but when I`ve done it it didn`t make success.
    > My sister use proxy server to use internet - because network company forces
    > to do that their users. So I have tried to unable proxy configuration on IE
    > 7.0 for a while but it also didn`t open me router configuration page.:(
    > I opened cmd and I pinged this adress 192.168.1.1 I got 4 sucesss responses.
    > I have a gateway in ipconfig /all set: 192.168.1.1.
    >
    > I don`t know what it is and why I cannot access to 192.168.1.1
    >
    > Can you help me?
    > I add that my sister has Windows Vista system (wi-fi connected to router)
    > but on the other computer which has Windows XP (cable connected to router)
    > there is also no possibility to open 192.168.1.1 address.
    >
    > I couldn`t find any real solution on the internet. The router was rebooted
    > many times and it also didn`t make a positive result.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help

    I don't know how to fix it, but here are a few ideas.

    1) The manual says the gateway address is programmable. It is 192.168.1.1
    when the product is new. The user can change the value to another subnet.
    2) The IP address of the PC right now, might be related to the gateway
    address. For example, if you notice the IP address of the PC is
    192.168.3.2, perhaps the router was set to 192.168.3.1 .
    3) There is a reset button on the bottom of the router, next to the stand.
    That will wipe out *all* the settings, and restore 192.168.1.1 as the
    router address.
    4) You can connect your PC directly to the internet box, download a
    copy of Firefox from Mozilla.org and use that as a browser. It should
    not be doing the proxy thing by default.
    5) To see what packets are going out on the wire from the PC to the router,
    use a copy of Wireshark. The program and its history are described here.
    Using this, if you enter 192.168.1.1 in IE, and you see packets headed for
    the proxy server address, then that will confirm your suspicions about
    the proxy setting being a problem. If you see 192.168.1.1 leave via an Ethernet
    packet, and still no response, then you might suspect the router is
    not at 192.168.1.1

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark

    The Wireshark installer consists of two installers. WinPCAP is the
    part that has something to do with capturing the packets, while
    the main program displays the results. Once installed, use Capture:Interfaces
    and click Start on the interface with a valid looking address. That
    address should be the PC address obtained via DHCP.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 25, 2008

  3. Alojzy Majchrzak

    Baron Guest

    Try http://192.168.1.1:80 Use a cable ! Wireless won't work !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Dec 25, 2008
  4. Alojzy Majchrzak

    jinxy Guest

    On Dec 25, 8:40 am, Baron <> wrote:
    > Alojzy Majchrzak wrote:
    > > Hello!

    > > My sister has a problem with LinkSys router WRT54GC.
    > > Initialy she didn`t set up network access encryption on configuration
    > > settings on ruter.
    > > When I noticed it I wanted to do it but router address
    > >http://192.168.1.1/setup.htm

    > Tryhttp://192.168.1.1:80 Use a cable !  Wireless won't work !
    >

    > > didn`t open me a web configuration page.
    > > I tried to do it on two computer. One was connected to router by cable
    > > and another one used wi-fi connnected to net .
    > > Configuration page didn`t opened on both of them.
    > > I heard that when I use wi-fi connection there is such security which
    > > doesn`t let me open router configuration page and I have to use cable
    > > connection, but when I`ve done it it didn`t make success.
    > > My sister use proxy server to use internet - because network company
    > > forces to do that their users. So I have tried to unable proxy
    > > configuration on IE 7.0 for a while but it also didn`t open me router
    > > configuration page.:( I opened cmd and I pinged this adress
    > > 192.168.1.1 I got 4 sucesss responses. I have a gateway in ipconfig
    > > /all set: 192.168.1.1.

    > > I don`t know what it is and why I cannot access to 192.168.1.1

    > > Can you help me?
    > > I add that my sister has Windows Vista system (wi-fi connected to
    > > router) but on the other computer which has Windows XP (cable
    > > connected to router) there is also no possibility to open 192.168.1.1
    > > address.

    > > I couldn`t find any real solution on the internet. The router was
    > > rebooted many times and it also didn`t make a positive result.

    > > Thank you in advance for any help

    > --
    > Best Regards:
    >                      Baron.- Hide quoted text -

    I found this the fastest way:
    Unplug the router from the modem,plug the ethernet cable into the
    modem. Now press the reset button on the router and hold for about
    15secs., unplug the power to the router and wait about 15secs. Plug
    the power for the router in again and take the router install disk to
    the pc that is hardwired to the net and reinstall the software
    following the steps provided. You must be hardwired to set up the
    router, you cannot do this wirelessly. Now you can access the router
    config page and make your changes.hope this help.
    jinxy

    jinxy, Dec 26, 2008