Linksys router woes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dane Beko, Jan 20, 2008.

  1. Dane Beko

    Dane Beko Guest

    FamilyNet International Newsgate

    I have a cable modem hooked to a Linksys wired router (model #
    BEFSR41). This is an older model, version 2, that I picked up at a
    rummage sale for $10. It had firmware dated 2001 and I updated it to
    firmware dated 2004 (latest available on the Linksys website).

    I purchased this router because the router before it, another BEFSR41,
    v4) was not providing dynamic IPs on my home network from time to
    time. Any device on the home network that I had configured for a
    static IP was not impacted. The first router would drop connectivity
    for any DHCP-computer but devices with static IPs worked fine
    (connectivity-wise). Only rebooting the router would get things back
    to normal (and only then after rebooting the router a few times).

    I got tired of putzing with it so I bought a used one to replace it.

    This one has been working OK but... Now it drops **Internet**
    connectivity to every device on the network (static IPs or DHCP) but
    the internal network is not impacted. I can still see networked HDs,
    print to the print server, etc. Only Internet connectivity is
    impacted now. It happens a few times / hour for about 30-60 seconds
    at a time.

    I run WinXP on every computer. I'll get the "a network cable has been
    unplugged" error message and then "connected - 100mbs" right after
    that and the internet connectivity starts working again.

    Before I run out to get yet another router, does anyone have any
    suggestions about why this might be happening?

    Thanks!

    FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail
    http://www.familynet-international.org

    Dane Beko, Jan 20, 2008

  2. Dane Beko

    old man Guest

    Linksys chipset compatilbity issues

    old man, Jan 20, 2008

  3. Dane Beko

    Brett Kline Guest

    Dane Beko wrote:

    > I purchased this router because the router before it, another BEFSR41,
    > v4) was not providing dynamic IPs on my home network from time to
    > time. Any device on the home network that I had configured for a
    > static IP was not impacted. The first router would drop connectivity
    > for any DHCP-computer but devices with static IPs worked fine
    > (connectivity-wise). Only rebooting the router would get things back
    > to normal (and only then after rebooting the router a few times).
    >
    > I got tired of putzing with it so I bought a used one to replace it.
    >
    > This one has been working OK but... Now it drops **Internet**
    > connectivity to every device on the network (static IPs or DHCP) but
    > the internal network is not impacted. I can still see networked HDs,
    > print to the print server, etc. Only Internet connectivity is
    > impacted now. It happens a few times / hour for about 30-60 seconds
    > at a time.
    >
    > I run WinXP on every computer. I'll get the "a network cable has been
    > unplugged" error message and then "connected - 100mbs" right after
    > that and the internet connectivity starts working again.
    >
    > Before I run out to get yet another router, does anyone have any
    > suggestions about why this might be happening?

    Have you tried connecting a single PC with firewall enabled directly to
    the cable or xDSL modem?

    Brett Kline, Jan 20, 2008
  4. Dane Beko

    sittingduck Guest

    Dane Beko wrote:

    > Before I run out to get yet another router, does anyone have any
    > suggestions about why this might be happening?

    Yeah, those routers are crap. Go get a new one.

    --
    http://improve-usenet.org

    sittingduck, Jan 20, 2008
  5. Dane Beko

    20 Jan 08 16:57, "old man" () wrote to all:

    OM> Linksys chipset compatilbity issues

    Is there a way to fix this? Different router brand? D-Link perhaps? That
    sort of thing? Thanks!

    Dane Beko, Jan 21, 2008
  6. Dane Beko

    On 20 Jan 08, Brett Kline () wrote to all:

    BK> Have you tried connecting a single PC with firewall enabled directly
    BK> to the cable or xDSL modem?

    I haven't yet, no. I was just seeing if there's something else that could be
    wrong before taking this step. It's a PITA to do.. :)

    Dane Beko, Jan 21, 2008
  7. Dane Beko

    On 20 Jan 08 01:12, sittingduck wrote to all:

    SI> Yeah, those routers are crap. Go get a new one.

    I've had good luck with Linksys routers in the past but which brand of router
    would you buy to replace this one? Thanks!

    Dane Beko, Jan 21, 2008
  8. Dane Beko

    Brett Kline Guest

    Dane Beko wrote:
    > On 20 Jan 08, Brett Kline () wrote to all:
    >
    > BK> Have you tried connecting a single PC with firewall enabled directly
    > BK> to the cable or xDSL modem?
    >

    > I haven't yet, no. I was just seeing if there's something else that

    could be
    > wrong before taking this step. It's a PITA to do.. :)

    While it may not be simple to accomplish, it's worth trying for a 24
    hour period. If the problem persists you may have a bad NIC or a problem
    with the modem.

    Brett Kline, Jan 21, 2008
  9. Dane Beko

    pcbutts1 Guest

    El barato sale caro
    Translation: the cheap comes out expensive.
    Buy a new one.

    pcbutts1, Jan 21, 2008
  10. Dane Beko

    In a message to All, Pcbutts1 wrote:

    Pc> El barato sale caro Translation: the cheap comes out expensive.
    Pc> Buy a new one.

    I agree with the "el barato sale caro"; my wife says that quite often.
    :) I've put a brand-new Linksys router online, configured it and so
    let's see what happens. Thanks, everyone.

    Dane Beko, Jan 21, 2008
  11. Dane Beko

    sittingduck Guest

    Dane Beko wrote:

    > I agree with the "el barato sale caro"; my wife says that quite often.
    >:) I've put a brand-new Linksys router online, configured it and so
    > let's see what happens. Thanks, everyone.

    I've had issues with no less than 4 Linksys routers. I switched to a Netgear,
    and it's much nicer. No more constant disconnects from IRC, no more random
    reboots to get the network back.

    --
    http://improve-usenet.org

    sittingduck, Jan 21, 2008
  12. Dane Beko

    In a message to All, Sittingduck <> wrote:

    Si> I've had issues with no less than 4 Linksys routers. I switched
    Si> to a Netgear, and it's much nicer. No more constant disconnects
    Si> from IRC, no more random reboots to get the network back.

    If this latest Linksys router gives me grief and I have to purchase
    another one, it won't be another Linksys. :)

    Dane Beko, Jan 21, 2008
  13. Dane Beko

    Sys

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Where it is still not safe from chemtrails.
    (( Many years later in the future ))

    - Anyone reading this having issues?
    Think about your wiring connections in your wall going to phonejack, ethernet jacks, etc.
    DSL dropping IP is usually just a loose wire or screw.
    Sometimes the wire will break a little bit and you might not see this without close-up view.
    ' have you tampered with the wiring or rj11-45 outlets recently would be my 1st question to anyone mentioning this old common problem.
    Cable dropping IP is sometimes related to loose connection in coax cable and will need 7\16th wrench and ladder to hit the basement ceiling and find connections that are loose. Sometimes they will twist or have a twist during installation and overtime it will loosen the once tight connection. Don't forget the outside box and watch some youtube videos if uncertain about the insides of the boxes.
    Sometimes a gopher will get mad at you for mowing the yard and knocking down dirt hills and then moisture percentage is trigger possibly.

    Symptoms or Questions to ask self:
    :intermittent connection, ip resetting with new ip every few minutes, sometimes few times a day only.
    Sometimes the internet works fine all day-week even when its wet outside.
    Some dry days it will go out, some wet days it will go out.
    Did i mess with the wiring?

    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    Sys, Mar 6, 2012