    find it. The package wrap is perfect, don't look like someone returned it.
    Please help. Thanks

    Ar Q

    Ar Q, Aug 18, 2007

  2. Ar Q

    pcbutts1 Guest

    They are very good.
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=3595090855L07

    pcbutts1, Aug 18, 2007

  3. Ar Q

    SgtMinor Guest

    Ar Q wrote:

    > and I don't know what to do.
    >
    > I bought one LinkSys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router (model BEFSR41). I am
    > supposed to run the setup wizard CD first. I did. The first few screens are
    > easy, just guide me to connect all cables. Then it said checking system
    > configuration, then it prompted me to enter password (also saying default
    > password is admin.) I entered admin. The system counted down from 0% to 100%
    > then asked me password again. I am in a loop. Try this again many times. I
    > am just stuck there. Don't know what to do next.
    >
    > Although the package contents say there is fast set up guide inside. I can't
    > find it. The package wrap is perfect, don't look like someone returned it.
    > Please help. Thanks
    >
    > Ar Q

    Have you checked the Linksys site? http://qurl.net/1XW

    Many stores own shrinkwrap machines.

    SgtMinor, Aug 18, 2007
  4. Ar Q

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > Ar Q wrote:
    >
    >> and I don't know what to do.
    >>
    >> I bought one LinkSys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router (model BEFSR41). I am
    >> supposed to run the setup wizard CD first. I did. The first few screens
    >> are
    >> easy, just guide me to connect all cables. Then it said checking system
    >> configuration, then it prompted me to enter password (also saying default
    >> password is admin.) I entered admin. The system counted down from 0% to
    >> 100%
    >> then asked me password again. I am in a loop. Try this again many times.
    >> am just stuck there. Don't know what to do next.
    >>
    >> Although the package contents say there is fast set up guide inside. I
    >> can't
    >> find it. The package wrap is perfect, don't look like someone returned
    >> it.
    >> Please help. Thanks
    >>
    >> Ar Q
    >>

    > Have you checked the Linksys site? http://qurl.net/1XW
    >
    > Many stores own shrinkwrap machines.

    Yeah - that's the truth. The only virus I ever had was from a store-bought
    software package (back when software came on floppy discs). It seems this
    store took returns, re-wrapped them and put them on the shelf. They didn't
    stay in business long <g>!

    WhzzKdd, Aug 18, 2007
  5. Ar Q

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-08-18, Ar Q <> wrote:
    > and I don't know what to do.
    >
    > I bought one LinkSys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router (model BEFSR41). I am
    > supposed to run the setup wizard CD first. I did. The first few screens are
    > easy, just guide me to connect all cables. Then it said checking system
    > configuration, then it prompted me to enter password (also saying default
    > password is admin.) I entered admin. The system counted down from 0% to 100%
    > then asked me password again. I am in a loop. Try this again many times. I
    > am just stuck there. Don't know what to do next.

    Find the reset button on the router and use it. That should take
    everything back to the factory settings, which may have become scrambled
    in transit.

    > Although the package contents say there is fast set up guide inside. I can't
    > find it. The package wrap is perfect, don't look like someone returned it.
    > Please help. Thanks
    >
    > Ar Q

    Packaging is easy, and so is bits getting left out. That's why the
    instructions for things often include a list of everything you should have
    and suggest that you check. Of course, the list of things that should be
    included is one of the things that can be left out ...

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 18, 2007
  6. Ar Q

    Leythos Guest

    In article <fa5kc2$kev$>, pcbutts1
    @leythosthestalker.com says...

    > They are very good.

    Be leary of following links posted from a porn creator and porn hosting
    site/individual.

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    and put on his website: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
    3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
    not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
    googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.

    Leythos, Aug 18, 2007
  7. Ar Q

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    <snipped>

    > Although the package contents say there is fast set up guide inside. I
    > can't
    > find it. The package wrap is perfect, don't look like someone returned it.
    > Please help. Thanks

    All that the CD does, you can do it manually. So, why don't you call Linksys
    Tech Support and let them help you and you learn from that, because you're
    the one that has to eventually support your network.

    Mr. Arnold, Aug 18, 2007
  8. Ar Q

    meerkat Guest

    Yea. The OP wants to be very, very leary of... http://www.linksys.com

    meerkat, Aug 18, 2007
  9. Ar Q

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Idiot Stalker.

    pcbutts1, Aug 18, 2007
  10. Ar Q

    Leythos Guest

    In article <lUDxi.20141$>,
    says...

    > "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <fa5kc2$kev$>, pcbutts1
    > > @leythosthestalker.com says...
    > >>
    > >> They are very good.

    > > Be leary of following links posted from a porn creator and porn hosting
    > > site/individual.
    > >

    > Yea. The OP wants to be very, very leary of... http://www.linksys.com

    Nah, the vendors site is good, but links posted by a porn hoster are
    always questionable.

    Leythos, Aug 19, 2007
  11. Ar Q

    Ar Q Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > On 2007-08-18, Ar Q <> wrote:
    > > and I don't know what to do.
    > >
    > > I bought one LinkSys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router (model BEFSR41). I am
    > > supposed to run the setup wizard CD first. I did. The first few screens

    are
    > > easy, just guide me to connect all cables. Then it said checking system
    > > configuration, then it prompted me to enter password (also saying

    default
    > > password is admin.) I entered admin. The system counted down from 0% to

    100%
    > > then asked me password again. I am in a loop. Try this again many times.

    > > am just stuck there. Don't know what to do next.

    > Find the reset button on the router and use it. That should take
    > everything back to the factory settings, which may have become scrambled
    > in transit.

    I push the reset button and the default "admin" is still no good. Since I
    am the first timer on router setup, I want to gain more knowledge on this
    topic before I call LinkSys. Here is the technical background on my
    computer. Any advice will be appreciated.

    My computer uses Windows 2000 Professional (SP4). I have only used dial-up
    service from my ISP Earthlink until ten days ago. My main computer has an
    Ethernet card (called it card A for later reference) linked to a 4-port
    switch which connected to my old computer and sometimes a laptop. Ten days
    ago I upgraded to Etherlink DSL service (6.0). I downloaded a Microsoft
    document detailing the steps I need to do. First I bought the second
    Ethernet card (card B). Put card B in my main computer. Connect card B, DSL
    modem and the phoneline. The upgrade is a breeze. Took less than 10 minutes.
    After the hardware setup, I opened a web page as Earthlink instructed,
    filled the blanks, then I can enjoy the web and Internet in high speedy,
    mostly surfing and gaming. The only problem is, after the upgrade, my old
    computer can no longer share the Internet thru the dial-up modem and the
    switch hub. I disconnect the cable between card A and the switch. But card A
    still sits on my main computer.

    So my questions are:

    1. Should I remove card A from my main computer since I have disabled my
    home LAN and this card sits there doing nothing? (Card A use IP address
    192.168.0.1. It has been configued that way for years.)

    2. Before I run the router setup wizard, are there any pre-setup steps I
    should do? I mean, should I run Microsoft "Make New Connection" wizard or
    something else? (I did when I first installed the dial-up modem. But I
    didn't when I installed the DSL modem, mainly because there is no choice for
    DSL, but only LAN, VPN and dial-up.)

    3. I got the card B's TCP/IP properties automatically configured when I
    first got my DSL modem installed. The TCP/IP properties are DHCP enabled,
    obtain an IP address automatically, obtain DNSserver address automatically,
    Enable LMHOSTS lookup, use NetBIOS setting from DHCP server, append parent
    suffixes of the primary DNS suffix, and register this connection's address
    in DNS. Should I change anything since these properties are set when my main
    computer is directly connected to the DSL modem without a router?

    Once again, many thanks to anyone who helps.

    Ar Q

    Ar Q, Aug 19, 2007
  12. Ar Q

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > So my questions are:
    >
    > 1. Should I remove card A from my main computer since I have disabled my
    > home LAN and this card sits there doing nothing? (Card A use IP address
    > 192.168.0.1. It has been configued that way for years.)
    >
    > 2. Before I run the router setup wizard, are there any pre-setup steps I
    > should do? I mean, should I run Microsoft "Make New Connection" wizard or
    > something else? (I did when I first installed the dial-up modem. But I
    > didn't when I installed the DSL modem, mainly because there is no choice for
    > DSL, but only LAN, VPN and dial-up.)
    >
    > 3. I got the card B's TCP/IP properties automatically configured when I
    > first got my DSL modem installed. The TCP/IP properties are DHCP enabled,
    > obtain an IP address automatically, obtain DNSserver address automatically,
    > Enable LMHOSTS lookup, use NetBIOS setting from DHCP server, append parent
    > suffixes of the primary DNS suffix, and register this connection's address
    > in DNS. Should I change anything since these properties are set when my main
    > computer is directly connected to the DSL modem without a router?
    >
    > Once again, many thanks to anyone who helps.

    Most Linksys devices are defaulted to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, if you
    keep that card in your computer, your computer won't know which
    192.168.0.1 to use, the card or the DHCP assigned - as it will conflict
    with the router and routers assigned address.

    Set card A to 10.0.0.10/255.255.255.0/nothing
    Disable Card A
    reboot computer, reboot Linksys, don't login until 60 seconds after
    Linksys reboots.

    Try http://192.168.0.1 again, see if it works now

    Leythos, Aug 19, 2007
  13. Ar Q

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    > Once again, many thanks to anyone who helps.

    Why don't you call Linksys Tech Support and let them help you by giving you
    a hand, instead of you trashing about in the water drowning?

    Mr. Arnold, Aug 19, 2007
  14. Ar Q

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-08-19, Ar Q <> wrote:
    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2007-08-18, Ar Q <> wrote:

    [...]

    > My computer uses Windows 2000 Professional (SP4). I have only used dial-up
    > service from my ISP Earthlink until ten days ago. My main computer has an
    > Ethernet card (called it card A for later reference) linked to a 4-port
    > switch which connected to my old computer and sometimes a laptop. Ten days
    > ago I upgraded to Etherlink DSL service (6.0). I downloaded a Microsoft
    > document detailing the steps I need to do. First I bought the second
    > Ethernet card (card B). Put card B in my main computer. Connect card B, DSL
    > modem and the phoneline. The upgrade is a breeze. Took less than 10 minutes.
    > After the hardware setup, I opened a web page as Earthlink instructed,
    > filled the blanks, then I can enjoy the web and Internet in high speedy,
    > mostly surfing and gaming. The only problem is, after the upgrade, my old
    > computer can no longer share the Internet thru the dial-up modem and the
    > switch hub. I disconnect the cable between card A and the switch. But card A
    > still sits on my main computer.

    Whereabouts in all that does your router fit in? Do you mean that you
    have a combined modem/router? How many ethernet ports does the router
    have? How is "old computer" connected to anything now? Why are there two
    NICs in "main computer"? What is the "switch" doing now?

    > So my questions are:
    >
    > 1. Should I remove card A from my main computer since I have disabled my
    > home LAN and this card sits there doing nothing?

    Not if you want that computer to have an internet or LAN connection.

    > (Card A use IP address
    > 192.168.0.1. It has been configued that way for years.)

    That will probably need to be changed to work with your new router, which
    will allocate each computer an IP number according to he settings in the
    router.

    > 2. Before I run the router setup wizard, are there any pre-setup steps I
    > should do? I mean, should I run Microsoft "Make New Connection" wizard or
    > something else? (I did when I first installed the dial-up modem. But I
    > didn't when I installed the DSL modem, mainly because there is no choice for
    > DSL, but only LAN, VPN and dial-up.)

    I don't use Windows so I can't help you with that.

    Generally, if you have a DSL internet connection controlled by a router,
    then the router creates and controls a LAN and your computers need to be
    configured to connect to the LAN - the router will be another computer on
    your LAN, providing local IP numbers (probably by DHCP) and acting as
    'gateway' to the internet.

    > 3. I got the card B's TCP/IP properties automatically configured when I
    > first got my DSL modem installed. The TCP/IP properties are DHCP enabled,
    > obtain an IP address automatically, obtain DNSserver address automatically,
    > Enable LMHOSTS lookup, use NetBIOS setting from DHCP server, append parent
    > suffixes of the primary DNS suffix, and register this connection's address
    > in DNS. Should I change anything since these properties are set when my main
    > computer is directly connected to the DSL modem without a router?
    >
    > Once again, many thanks to anyone who helps.

    I'd be inclined to start again. Power down everything, and unplug all the
    network connections. Use an ethernet cable to connect each of your
    computers to a socket on the modem/router. Connect the 'internet' or 'DSL'
    socket on the modem/router to the DSL socket connected to your telephone
    line. Power up the modem/router and let it settle down. Power up one
    computer, and use that to get a LAN connection to the modem/router so that
    you can configure the modem/router. When that computer is working
    properly and has an internet connection, power up the second computer and
    create a new LAN connection on that one.

    With a router that has enough ethernet sockets for all your computers, you
    do not need a 'switch' to create a LAN. With a combined modem/router you
    do not need a seperate modem - indeed there probably isn't a socket for an
    external modem. Each computer only needs one ethernet socket.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 19, 2007
  15. Ar Q

    Ar Q Guest

    When I retire the dial-up modem, I also retire my home LAN including the 2nd
    computer and the switch, just in hope to make the router work. Right now I
    only power on DSL modem, router and the main computer. Nothing else is in
    play besides the three.

    Ar Q

    Ar Q, Aug 19, 2007
  16. Ar Q

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Just call Linksys and get it over with already sheeeeeeesh! If you would
    have done that 2 days ago you would of been happy. Dump the slow modem
    already and make a 10 minute free phone call.

    pcbutts1, Aug 19, 2007
  17. Ar Q

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > Just call Linksys and get it over with already sheeeeeeesh! If you would
    > have done that 2 days ago you would of been happy. Dump the slow modem
    > already and make a 10 minute free phone call.

    No one has got the life preserver for him but Linksys. In the meantime, I
    guess everyone will just watch him drown.

    Linksys would have most likely have saved him within a few minutes on a new
    setup and sent him on his way, but he chooses to let everyone watch him
    drown. :)

    Mr. Arnold, Aug 19, 2007