Linksys Router Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Major ChrisB, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Major ChrisB

    Major ChrisB Guest

    I asked for some help in various places but nothings worked

    I have the NTLHome cable modem and a Linksys befsr41v2 4 port Router.

    It's connected
    ]--- My PC
    NTL Cable Modem---Router----Hub-[
    ]----- Dad's
    Computer

    Now I've tried running it without the hub and it still has the same
    result....Basically whats happening is that when I go to the set up url of
    192.168.1.1 I get a message in IE saying "Internal Server Error" and I can't
    access set up. I've tried numerous things which never helped so today I
    formatted and re-installed XP. first thing I did was try it and it worked
    so I added all the windows updates, installed norton anti-spam and norton
    anti-virus, installed bit tornado, WS FTP, WinAmp, WinRar and NewsLeecher -
    all programmes I've had on my PC for months when the router was
    working...now I CAN access the set up from my dads PC with no problems but
    my Pc doesn't acknowlage the changes if I open ports.

    I've tried the following:
    reseting the router using the reset button
    using different cables
    telnetting into the setup url
    using different cables in different ports of the router and hub
    with XP Firewall off and on
    unistalling Norton completly
    Tried accessing the page on different web browsers (opera)
    registry sweeps
    router firmware update (failed when it couldn't detect the router)
    unistalled my ethernet drivers and reinstalled it.
    ran the linksys set up CD several times

    Can anyone suggest anything else to try?

    I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

    Thanks,

    ChrisB

    Major ChrisB, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Major ChrisB

    John Smith Guest

    Chris -

    Here are some things to try...

    Firstly, if you have a router, you don't need the hub, you should be able to
    connect all computers to 4 ports on the router, and the router to the ntl
    modem (goes in the WAN port).

    Firstly - How is the router configured - commonly, most broadband services
    use DHCP, where the isp assigns you an IP address which can, and frequently
    does change often. Therefore, your router must be set to accept information
    assigned by the ISP.

    Secondly, you should then configure your router to be a DHCP server, where
    it will in turn give your computer(s) an ip address (usually a 192.168.1.x)
    depeneding on whether you have changed the defaults or not. Make sure this
    is so. If you have to, click the reset button on the router (consult your
    book/disk/etc) for the location of the reset. This will usually set linksys
    routers to DHCP incoming and to act as a DHCP server to the internal
    network.

    Third, plug your first computer into the router (NOTE: make sure that you
    are using a straight-through cable - you DO NOT use a crossover ethernet
    cable with a router or a hub - they are designed to act as the crossover
    point). Configure the computer's networking settings to be IP Address, DNS
    servers, etc... to be assigned automatically if not already. Reboot the
    computer - go to the run command (start -> run) and type ipconfig <enter>
    This will bring up the configuration settings for your computers network
    card - verify that you are now getting an ip address of 192.168.x.x
    (remember, this can vary if you have played with the defaults). If this is
    true, and you see this address, try using your browser to connect to the
    192.168.1.1 of the router - you should now see the configuration screen.

    Finally, connect your other computer and follow the steps used to configure
    your other computer.

    Thats it! You now have a network set up. You can now experience the joys
    of file sharing - which can be its' own unique pain.... <grin>

    I hope this helps, otherwise post/email again.

    Fred.

    John Smith, Sep 2, 2004

  3. Major ChrisB

    Scrote Guest

    Major ChrisB wrote:

    Snip>>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> ChrisB

    RSDG?

    --
    Twas a woman who drove me to drink.
    I never had the courtesy to thank her.

    Scrote, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Major ChrisB

    Major ChrisB Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Chris -
    >
    > Here are some things to try...
    >
    > Firstly, if you have a router, you don't need the hub, you should be able
    > connect all computers to 4 ports on the router, and the router to the ntl
    > modem (goes in the WAN port).

    yeah I know but the friend who set up the server for me said I did so it's
    always been there...

    > Firstly - How is the router configured - commonly, most broadband services
    > use DHCP, where the isp assigns you an IP address which can, and
    > frequently
    > does change often. Therefore, your router must be set to accept
    > information
    > assigned by the ISP.
    >
    > Secondly, you should then configure your router to be a DHCP server, where
    > it will in turn give your computer(s) an ip address (usually a
    > 192.168.1.x)
    > depeneding on whether you have changed the defaults or not. Make sure
    > this
    > is so. If you have to, click the reset button on the router (consult your
    > book/disk/etc) for the location of the reset. This will usually set
    > linksys
    > routers to DHCP incoming and to act as a DHCP server to the internal
    > network.

    Thats the problem. I can't access the configuration page. going to
    192.168.1.1 on my main PC bring up an "Internal Server Error" but accessing
    it on my secondary PC works fine and confirms all the settings are correct
    but triggering the port forwarding doesn't seem to affect the main PC.

    > Third, plug your first computer into the router (NOTE: make sure that
    > you
    > are using a straight-through cable - you DO NOT use a crossover ethernet
    > cable with a router or a hub - they are designed to act as the crossover
    > point). Configure the computer's networking settings to be IP Address,
    > DNS
    > servers, etc... to be assigned automatically if not already. Reboot the
    > computer - go to the run command (start -> run) and type ipconfig <enter>
    > This will bring up the configuration settings for your computers network
    > card - verify that you are now getting an ip address of 192.168.x.x
    > (remember, this can vary if you have played with the defaults). If this
    > is
    > true, and you see this address, try using your browser to connect to the
    > 192.168.1.1 of the router - you should now see the configuration screen.

    all of this, near enough, is done.

    Major ChrisB, Sep 2, 2004
  5. Major ChrisB

    Major ChrisB Guest