    Can anyone loan me a clue?

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Mr. Foster Freeze, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Mr. Foster Freeze

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Mr. Foster Freeze <> wrote in
    news::

    > It's been awhile since I was here last.
    > Good to see y'all got along so well without my stupid questions.
    > Here's another:
    > I finally got a semi-decent ISP (Comcast) and built the PC I was once
    > talking about (XP Pro OS), and bought a Linksis Model No. BEFSR41 ver.
    > 4 to use as a physical firewall.
    > It works. But only for about 10 to 30 minutes. Then it drops me
    > offline.
    > I stay online fine without the router but would kinda like to use the
    > dang thing.
    > I gotta reset everything to use it. Right not I just bypassed the
    > bugger.
    > I called the tech line and the lady in India (or wherever) was very
    > nice and walked me thru making a clone mac (sounds like a
    > cheeseburger) and everything, but it's still fukin up.

    You can try and re-flash the router with the latest version of the
    firmware the router is using and see if that fixes your problem.
    Sometimes you have to flash it to get it to work out of the box.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Dec 6, 2005

  3. What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Tue, 06 Dec 2005
    04:35:53 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide Duane Arnold
    <> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >Mr. Foster Freeze <> wrote in
    >
    >> It's been awhile since I was here last.
    >> Good to see y'all got along so well without my stupid questions.
    >> Here's another:
    >> I finally got a semi-decent ISP (Comcast) and built the PC I was

    once
    >> talking about (XP Pro OS), and bought a Linksis Model No. BEFSR41

    ver.
    >> 4 to use as a physical firewall.
    >> It works. But only for about 10 to 30 minutes. Then it drops me
    >> offline.
    >> I stay online fine without the router but would kinda like to use

    the
    >> dang thing.
    >> I gotta reset everything to use it. Right not I just bypassed the
    >> bugger.
    >> I called the tech line and the lady in India (or wherever) was very
    >> nice and walked me thru making a clone mac (sounds like a
    >> cheeseburger) and everything, but it's still fukin up.

    >You can try and re-flash the router with the latest version of the
    >firmware the router is using and see if that fixes your problem.
    >Sometimes you have to flash it to get it to work out of the box.
    >
    >Duane :)

    Izat the same as running the software that came widit? Cauz I didit.
    First.

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Mr. Foster Freeze, Dec 6, 2005
  4. Mr. Foster Freeze

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mr. Foster Freeze wrote:

    > I finally got a semi-decent ISP (Comcast) and built the PC I was once
    > talking about (XP Pro OS), and bought a Linksis Model No. BEFSR41 ver.
    > 4 to use as a physical firewall.

    > It works. But only for about 10 to 30 minutes. Then it drops me
    > offline.

    You haven't described your connectivity and your troubleshooting yet.

    You are comcast connected how? dialup, dsl, cable? When you lose your
    connectivity are you still connected to the router and the router has
    lost its connection to the net, or you have lost your connection to the
    router?

    If you lose your connection to the router, you can't 'see' its webpage
    'internals' at http://192.168.1.1/ [needs user/pw]

    If you can see the router, but it doesn't have a routable IP comcast IP
    address like 68.47.216.122 in the WAN section of the status tab, then
    somehow the wan connection is being dropped, like a dialup can get
    dropped.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 6, 2005
  5. Mr. Foster Freeze

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Mr. Foster Freeze <> wrote in

    > What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Tue, 06 Dec 2005
    > 04:35:53 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide Duane Arnold
    > <> from this open and apparent shame?:
    >
    >>Mr. Foster Freeze <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> It's been awhile since I was here last.
    >>> Good to see y'all got along so well without my stupid questions.
    >>> Here's another:
    >>> I finally got a semi-decent ISP (Comcast) and built the PC I was

    > once
    >>> talking about (XP Pro OS), and bought a Linksis Model No. BEFSR41

    > ver.
    >>> 4 to use as a physical firewall.
    >>> It works. But only for about 10 to 30 minutes. Then it drops me
    >>> offline.
    >>> I stay online fine without the router but would kinda like to use

    > the
    >>> dang thing.
    >>> I gotta reset everything to use it. Right not I just bypassed the
    >>> bugger.
    >>> I called the tech line and the lady in India (or wherever) was very
    >>> nice and walked me thru making a clone mac (sounds like a
    >>> cheeseburger) and everything, but it's still fukin up.

    >>You can try and re-flash the router with the latest version of the
    >>firmware the router is using and see if that fixes your problem.
    >>Sometimes you have to flash it to get it to work out of the box.
    >>
    >>Duane :)
    >>

    > Izat the same as running the software that came widit? Cauz I didit.
    > First.

    So you're saying you flashed the router out of the box? You reinstalled
    the firmware/flashed the router with the firmware downloaded from the
    site because sometimes the software doesn't get installed properly on the
    router for whatever reason and that's a way of correcting problems with
    the router. I am not saying that will for sure fix you problem but it
    can't hurt and it's worth a try. Other than that, the thing may be
    defective out of the box too, which in that case you should return it and
    get another one.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Dec 6, 2005
  6. What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 5 Dec 2005
    20:52:16 -0800, canst thou now find out, to hide "Mike Easter"
    <> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >Mr. Foster Freeze wrote:
    >
    >> I finally got a semi-decent ISP (Comcast) and built the PC I was

    once
    >> talking about (XP Pro OS), and bought a Linksis Model No. BEFSR41

    ver.
    >> 4 to use as a physical firewall.

    >> It works. But only for about 10 to 30 minutes. Then it drops me
    >> offline.

    >You haven't described your connectivity and your troubleshooting yet.
    >
    >You are comcast connected how? dialup, dsl, cable?

    Cable.

    >When you lose your
    >connectivity are you still connected to the router and the router has
    >lost its connection to the net, or you have lost your connection to

    the
    >router?

    The former.

    >If you lose your connection to the router, you can't 'see' its

    webpage
    >'internals' at http://192.168.1.1/ [needs user/pw]

    Can see that. (Hey that's where the India girl took me!)

    >If you can see the router, but it doesn't have a routable IP comcast

    IP
    >address like 68.47.216.122 in the WAN section of the status tab, then
    >somehow the wan connection is being dropped, like a dialup can get
    >dropped.

    I'll check that.
    And if that's the case?

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Mr. Foster Freeze, Dec 6, 2005
  7. Mr. Foster Freeze

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mr. Foster Freeze wrote:

    >>> It works. But only for about 10 to 30 minutes. Then it drops me
    >>> offline.

    I'm worried about Duane's idea that you might have a sick firmware.

    When that happened to me, the router's diagnostic light stayed on,
    blinking. Are your lights on the front of the router doing what they
    are supposed to, or something else?

    When you build the network from scratch, lets say that everything is
    powered down. When you powerup the cable modem, the little lights go
    thru' their thing and then they get all situated. Then, when you
    powerup the router, the little router lights go thru' their thing and
    then they get all situated. When my firmware got sick, the red
    diagnostic light kept blinking on powerup. So I had to go get a
    firmware flasher and send it to the router to get it fixed. But, when
    my firmware got sick, I couldn't even see the router.

    Anyway, back to our network building. Then when you powerup the
    computer it can see the router and the router can see the network and
    the computer can see the network thru' the router. In your
    troubleshooting, you should definitely take it thru' such a rebuild.

    > Cable.

    >> still connected to the router and the router has
    >> lost its connection to the net,

    >> If you can see the router, but it doesn't have a routable IP comcast
    >> IP address like 68.47.216.122 in the WAN section of the status tab,
    >> then somehow the wan connection is being dropped, like a dialup can
    >> get dropped.

    > I'll check that.
    > And if that's the case?

    Errrm. That shouldn't be happening, he said, unhelpfully.

    I didn't think this problem of sick firmware might be encountered right
    out of the box, but it does seem like that stuff is kinda 'delicate.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 6, 2005
  8. Mr. Foster Freeze

    Mike Easter Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > Mr. Foster Freeze
    >> Duane Arnold

    >>> You can try and re-flash the router with the latest version of the
    >>> firmware the router is using and see if that fixes your problem.
    >>> Sometimes you have to flash it to get it to work out of the box.

    >> Izat the same as running the software that came widit? Cauz I didit.
    >> First.

    I think FF is saying he ran the Linksys setup wizard that comes on the
    linksys CD, not a firmware flash.

    > So you're saying you flashed the router out of the box?

    I think not.

    > Other
    > than that, the thing may be defective out of the box too, which in
    > that case you should return it and get another one.

    Therein lies the great difference between getting something at your
    local Fry's or other vs the mailorder process.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 6, 2005
  9. Mr. Foster Freeze

    Rosco Guest

    Mike Easter cried out

    > I'm worried about Duane's idea that you might have a sick
    > firmware.
    >
    > When that happened to me, the router's diagnostic light stayed on,
    > blinking. Are your lights on the front of the router doing what
    > they are supposed to, or something else?
    >
    > When you build the network from scratch, lets say that everything
    > is powered down. When you powerup the cable modem, the little
    > lights go thru' their thing and then they get all situated. Then,
    > when you powerup the router, the little router lights go thru'
    > their thing and then they get all situated. When my firmware got
    > sick, the red diagnostic light kept blinking on powerup. So I had
    > to go get a firmware flasher and send it to the router to get it
    > fixed. But, when my firmware got sick, I couldn't even see the
    > router.
    >
    > Anyway, back to our network building. Then when you powerup the
    > computer it can see the router and the router can see the network
    > and the computer can see the network thru' the router. In your
    > troubleshooting, you should definitely take it thru' such a
    > rebuild.
    >
    >> Cable.

    >>> still connected to the router and the router has
    >>> lost its connection to the net,

    >>> If you can see the router, but it doesn't have a routable IP
    >>> comcast IP address like 68.47.216.122 in the WAN section of the
    >>> status tab, then somehow the wan connection is being dropped,
    >>> like a dialup can get dropped.

    >> I'll check that.
    >> And if that's the case?

    > Errrm. That shouldn't be happening, he said, unhelpfully.
    >
    > I didn't think this problem of sick firmware might be encountered
    > right out of the box, but it does seem like that stuff is kinda
    > 'delicate.

    firmware firmware firmware, thats what linksys told me, i found out
    the simplest way to fix my problem (firmware did not fix it) click
    on the administration page, and disable UPnP
    Rosco, Dec 6, 2005
  10. Mr. Foster Freeze

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rosco wrote:
    > i found out
    > the simplest way to fix my problem (firmware did not fix it) click
    > on the administration page, and disable UPnP

    Well, mine is disabled, but I can't see how if upnp were enabled it
    would disturb the connectivity.

    My manual doesn't help me much because my router's configuration section
    for upnp isn't even shown in the manual, much less explained. I
    understand from elsewhere that it is for routing appropriate devices.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 6, 2005
  11. Mr. Foster Freeze

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in news:43952586$0$23953
    $:

    > I'm worried about Duane's idea that you might have a sick firmware.
    >
    > When that happened to me, the router's diagnostic light stayed on,
    > blinking. Are your lights on the front of the router doing what they
    > are supposed to, or something else?

    There are situations where machines will connect with one site and not
    connect to another behind a router and it's due to a sick firmware. I
    have seen too many issues with routers where a simple re-flash of the
    router corrects the problem. The OP could have a problem with the modem
    that is the issue as mine did awhile back when the modem was going
    defective and dropping the connection. Maybe, the hook from the cable
    company is bad and they need to check the line.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Dec 6, 2005
  12. Mr. Foster Freeze

    Rosco Guest

    Mike Easter cried out

    > Rosco wrote:
    >> i found out
    >> the simplest way to fix my problem (firmware did not fix it)
    >> click on the administration page, and disable UPnP

    > Well, mine is disabled, but I can't see how if upnp were enabled
    > it would disturb the connectivity.
    >
    > My manual doesn't help me much because my router's configuration
    > section for upnp isn't even shown in the manual, much less
    > explained. I understand from elsewhere that it is for routing
    > appropriate devices.

    from what i understand UPnP is the ability for a device to configure
    the router ex. windows media player can allow a port through to that
    computer. disabling that is just what worked for me, but still could be
    your firmware...
    Rosco, Dec 6, 2005
  13. What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 5 Dec 2005
    21:46:00 -0800, canst thou now find out, to hide "Mike Easter"
    <> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >I'm worried about Duane's idea that you might have a sick firmware.
    >
    >When that happened to me, the router's diagnostic light stayed on,
    >blinking. Are your lights on the front of the router doing what they
    >are supposed to, or something else?
    >
    >When you build the network from scratch, lets say that everything is
    >powered down. When you powerup the cable modem, the little lights go
    >thru' their thing and then they get all situated. Then, when you
    >powerup the router, the little router lights go thru' their thing and
    >then they get all situated. When my firmware got sick, the red
    >diagnostic light kept blinking on powerup. So I had to go get a
    >firmware flasher and send it to the router to get it fixed. But,

    when
    >my firmware got sick, I couldn't even see the router.
    >
    >Anyway, back to our network building. Then when you powerup the
    >computer it can see the router and the router can see the network and
    >the computer can see the network thru' the router. In your
    >troubleshooting, you should definitely take it thru' such a rebuild.
    >
    >> Cable.

    >>> still connected to the router and the router has
    >>> lost its connection to the net,

    >>> If you can see the router, but it doesn't have a routable IP

    comcast
    >>> IP address like 68.47.216.122 in the WAN section of the status

    tab,
    >>> then somehow the wan connection is being dropped, like a dialup

    can
    >>> get dropped.

    >> I'll check that.
    >> And if that's the case?

    >Errrm. That shouldn't be happening, he said, unhelpfully.
    >
    >I didn't think this problem of sick firmware might be encountered

    right
    >out of the box, but it does seem like that stuff is kinda 'delicate.

    I did everything (except flash) that was recommended by y'all & called
    the helpdesk and the girl had me tweak something else & I'm trying it
    out.
    She said we can flash it next.

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Mr. Foster Freeze, Dec 6, 2005
  14. Mr. Foster Freeze

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mr. Foster Freeze wrote:

    > I did everything (except flash) that was recommended by y'all & called
    > the helpdesk and the girl had me tweak something else & I'm trying it
    > out.
    > She said we can flash it next.

    Yep, it looks like it is coming down to that. You'll find that
    'interesting'. It is different from flashing a bios on a mobo.

    The other tool which I use which might prove also 'interesting' about
    troubleshooting info in this case is WallWatcher, which is a logging
    app. Your linksys has the ability to log, but for what I wanted to do
    with my logs, the linksys logging app wasn't suitable, so I installed
    WallWatcher, which gets its information from the linksys and can
    automatically feed its logs to DShield and/or MyNetWatchman. Also,
    there are a lot of ways to play with and look at and analyze the WW
    logs.

    WallWatcher can be configured to be logging router messages, that is
    messages from/about the router [non-traffic and other 'unidentified'],
    if there's something going on 'useful' that the router is talking about.
    I don't know anything about that result, I have that function turned
    off.

    The other logs which I sometimes look at are the logs from the modem.
    It keeps track of getting itself situated on powerup, which is
    interesting to read, and it might be keeping logs on getting itself
    unsituated if that's what is happening; acquiring, debugging, locking,
    registering, etc. You could also see evidence of sick modem behavior
    there, which it sounds like you think you don't have because you do
    better or normal with the router out of the loop.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 6, 2005
  15. Mr. Foster Freeze

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > She said we can flash it next.

    You're going through the whole nine yards of worthless trouble shooting
    when you should have just flashed the thing off the top of the bat. :)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Dec 6, 2005
  16. Re: oral sex and chlamydia

    Thalassomonas Paradisiaca Chrysomallus Fabavirus, Dec 6, 2005
  17. Mr. Foster Freeze

    Mike Easter Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    >> She said we can flash it next.
    >>

    > You're going through the whole nine yards of worthless trouble
    > shooting when you should have just flashed the thing off the top of
    > the bat. :)

    I think everyone always worries about the 'flash to brick' syndrome.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 6, 2005
  18. What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Tue, 6 Dec 2005
    08:26:50 -0800, canst thou now find out, to hide "Mike Easter"
    <> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >Duane Arnold wrote:
    >>> She said we can flash it next.
    >>>

    >> You're going through the whole nine yards of worthless trouble
    >> shooting when you should have just flashed the thing off the top of
    >> the bat. :)

    >I think everyone always worries about the 'flash to brick' syndrome.

    I don't disagree with anything y'all are saying (how could I?) But the
    lady in Bombay (or wherever) is the one who wants to go thru all the
    crap before we flash. Heck, I'm not even sure what flashing is but so
    long as I don't have to cut up any of my trousers I'm sure it'll be
    almost painless. :)

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Mr. Foster Freeze, Dec 6, 2005
  19. Mr. Foster Freeze

    Duane Arnold Guest

    >>I think everyone always worries about the 'flash to brick' syndrome.
    >
    > I don't disagree with anything y'all are saying (how could I?) But the
    > lady in Bombay (or wherever) is the one who wants to go thru all the
    > crap before we flash. Heck, I'm not even sure what flashing is but so
    > long as I don't have to cut up any of my trousers I'm sure it'll be
    > almost painless. :)

    The person is just going down list. Either the flash is going to fix it or
    the router is defective if it continues to happen.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Dec 6, 2005
  20. Re: Handjob/Fingering Issue

    Humuk the censorial, Dec 6, 2005