    a straight through cable,Does anyone know if this is the right cable and if
    so what does it connect to. Thanks in advance.

    Lawrence

    Lawrence, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Lawrence

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:17:10 -0400, Lawrence wrote:

    >I have the Linksys BEFSR41-CA V.2 Router with built in 4 ports, I had it
    >working with 3 computers with a DSL modem,And it worked great, I have now
    >switched to cable and am having a problem setting it up again, I am
    >wondering if I sent the wrong cable back with the DSL modem, I have a red
    >crossover wire left and not sure if it belongs with this or if it should be
    >a straight through cable,Does anyone know if this is the right cable and if
    >so what does it connect to. Thanks in advance.

    It isn't. You use CAT5 (or higher) cable for the router, not a crossover.

    --
    "I love the way Microsoft follows standards. In much the same manner that
    fish follow migrating caribou." --Paul Tomblin

    Mara, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Lawrence

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:40:12 -0500, Mara <>
    scribbled:

    >It isn't. You use CAT5 (or higher) cable for the router, not a crossover.

    CAT5 is the cable type standard, they can either be straight though or
    crossover.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Lawrence

    Stevo Guest

    Mara wrote:
    <snip>

    > It isn't. You use CAT5 (or higher) cable for the router, not a
    > crossover.
    >

    >> Lawrence

    Straight through or crossover, the cable is still Cat 5 (or higher).. :)

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Lawrence

    Stevo Guest

    Lawrence wrote:
    > I have the Linksys BEFSR41-CA V.2 Router with built in 4 ports, I had
    > it working with 3 computers with a DSL modem,And it worked great, I
    > have now switched to cable and am having a problem setting it up
    > again, I am wondering if I sent the wrong cable back with the DSL
    > modem, I have a red crossover wire left and not sure if it belongs
    > with this or if it should be a straight through cable,Does anyone
    > know if this is the right cable and if so what does it connect to.
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Lawrence

    You need a 'straight through' CAT 5 cable between the modem and the
    router...

    Stevo, Oct 19, 2003
  6. Lawrence

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:53:22 +1000, Stevo wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    ><snip>
    >>
    >> It isn't. You use CAT5 (or higher) cable for the router, not a
    >> crossover.
    >>

    >>> Lawrence

    >Straight through or crossover, the cable is still Cat 5 (or higher).. :)

    I've never seen a crossover CAT5.

    "Never even heard of one, until now."

    Mara, Oct 19, 2003
  7. Lawrence

    Stevo Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:53:22 +1000, Stevo wrote:
    >
    >> Mara wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> It isn't. You use CAT5 (or higher) cable for the router, not a
    >>> crossover.

    >> Straight through or crossover, the cable is still Cat 5 (or
    >> higher).. :)

    > I've never seen a crossover CAT5.
    >
    > "Never even heard of one, until now."

    Cat 5 etc is a cable standard.. the basic 8 core cable is used to make up
    cables of various types.. the common ones are straight through and
    crossover..

    http://www.southwest.com.au/~jfuller/rj45/rj45.htm

    Stevo, Oct 19, 2003
  8. Lawrence

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:15:06 +1000, Stevo wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:53:22 +1000, Stevo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mara wrote:
    >>> <snip>

    >>> Straight through or crossover, the cable is still Cat 5 (or
    >>> higher).. :)

    >> I've never seen a crossover CAT5.
    >>
    >> "Never even heard of one, until now."

    >Cat 5 etc is a cable standard.. the basic 8 core cable is used to make up
    >cables of various types.. the common ones are straight through and
    >crossover..

    I'm aware it's a standard. However, the crossover I'm looking at right now just
    says it's a patch cable, and I've got straight-through CAT5s and CAT5es on my
    personal LAN which actually _say_ they're CAT 5 and 5e. Perhaps that's where I
    got a bit confused. The LAN is run through the same make/model of router as the
    OPs.

    "The LAN I run at work uses 5e, also."

    Mara, Oct 20, 2003
  9. Lawrence

    Stevo Guest

    Mara wrote:
    <snip>

    >> Cat 5 etc is a cable standard.. the basic 8 core cable is used to
    >> make up cables of various types.. the common ones are straight
    >> through and crossover..

    > I'm aware it's a standard. However, the crossover I'm looking at
    > right now just says it's a patch cable, and I've got straight-through
    > CAT5s and CAT5es on my personal LAN which actually _say_ they're CAT
    > 5 and 5e. Perhaps that's where I got a bit confused. The LAN is run
    > through the same make/model of router as the OPs.

    <snip>

    The cable itself, should have CAT 5, (E) etc, printed on it every so often
    along its length..

    The crossover label is usually an add on external label for easy
    identification.

    In many cases the colour of the cable sheath itself signifies it usage - red
    is often used for cross over or special application, blue or gray for data,
    yellow for voice and white for special services but this cannot ever be
    assumed without clear evidence of the cable type. The easiest way to
    identify straight through or crossover is to look at the wire colours at the
    clear connector on each end (if the connector isn't moulded over) - side by
    side, in the same orientation. The difference is quite obvious.

    Stevo, Oct 20, 2003
  10. Lawrence

    nospam Guest

    Lawrence wrote:

    > I have the Linksys BEFSR41-CA V.2 Router with built in 4 ports, I had it
    > working with 3 computers with a DSL modem,And it worked great, I have now
    > switched to cable and am having a problem setting it up again, I am
    > wondering if I sent the wrong cable back with the DSL modem, I have a red
    > crossover wire left and not sure if it belongs with this or if it should be
    > a straight through cable,Does anyone know if this is the right cable and if
    > so what does it connect to. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Lawrence

    Make sure you're using PPPoE in the router for the cable modem. Most
    cable companies use this.

    nospam, Oct 20, 2003
  11. Lawrence

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:42:54 +1000, Stevo wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    ><snip>
    >>>
    >>> Cat 5 etc is a cable standard.. the basic 8 core cable is used to
    >>> make up cables of various types.. the common ones are straight
    >>> through and crossover..

    >> I'm aware it's a standard. However, the crossover I'm looking at
    >> right now just says it's a patch cable, and I've got straight-through
    >> CAT5s and CAT5es on my personal LAN which actually _say_ they're CAT
    >> 5 and 5e. Perhaps that's where I got a bit confused. The LAN is run
    >> through the same make/model of router as the OPs.
    >>

    ><snip>
    >
    >The cable itself, should have CAT 5, (E) etc, printed on it every so often
    >along its length..

    It does.

    >The crossover label is usually an add on external label for easy
    >identification.

    I don't recall this cable ever having anything on it, but it's been a long time
    since I ran a simple two-machine network, too.

    >In many cases the colour of the cable sheath itself signifies it usage - red
    >is often used for cross over or special application, blue or gray for data,
    >yellow for voice and white for special services but this cannot ever be
    >assumed without clear evidence of the cable type. The easiest way to
    >identify straight through or crossover is to look at the wire colours at the
    >clear connector on each end (if the connector isn't moulded over) - side by
    >side, in the same orientation. The difference is quite obvious.

    Well, it would be if I had my glasses on, maybe. I can't read my screen then,
    though. LOL

    --
    "What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator." -- Anonymous

    Mara, Oct 20, 2003
  12. Lawrence

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Cable does not use PPPOE DSL does.

    pcbutts1, Oct 20, 2003
  13. Lawrence

    nospam Guest

    pcbutts1 wrote:

    > Cable does not use PPPOE DSL does.

    > "nospam" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > Lawrence wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I have the Linksys BEFSR41-CA V.2 Router with built in 4 ports, I had it
    > > > working with 3 computers with a DSL modem,And it worked great, I have

    > now
    > > > switched to cable and am having a problem setting it up again, I am
    > > > wondering if I sent the wrong cable back with the DSL modem, I have a

    > red
    > > > crossover wire left and not sure if it belongs with this or if it should

    > be
    > > > a straight through cable,Does anyone know if this is the right cable and

    > if
    > > > so what does it connect to. Thanks in advance.
    > > >
    > > > Lawrence

    > > Make sure you're using PPPoE in the router for the cable modem. Most
    > > cable companies use this.

    OOOPPPSS - My Bad - Too many cocktails today!

    nospam, Oct 20, 2003
  14. Lawrence wrote:
    > I have the Linksys BEFSR41-CA V.2 Router with built in 4 ports, I had it
    > working with 3 computers with a DSL modem,And it worked great, I have now
    > switched to cable and am having a problem setting it up again, I am
    > wondering if I sent the wrong cable back with the DSL modem, I have a red
    > crossover wire left and not sure if it belongs with this or if it should be
    > a straight through cable,Does anyone know if this is the right cable and if
    > so what does it connect to. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Lawrence

    This router should work JUST FINE if you re-initialize it -- there is a
    reset button that you have to hold down for at least 3 seconds -- see
    the Linksys site.

    For cable, you normally just set it up to get its address from the DHCP
    server; for DSL, you might've had a fixed IP address and so you have to
    remove that.

    You should only be using standard Cat 5 patch cables, not any crossover
    cables. Make sure you have the wire running from the cable modem (WAN
    port) to the router's WAN port (not one of the LAN/"ethernet" ports).
    When you connect that physically, and have the cable connected to the
    cable modem, is the WAN light on the router lit?

    Use your browser to go to the SEtup page, and set the WAN address to
    "Obtain an IP automatically". Click Apply. Then go to the Status tab &
    see if it has a WAN IP address and shows the DNS servers and default
    gateway.

    No use going any further with this until you get that far, and report
    back what lights are lit (or not).

    -- DE

    Tergiversative, Oct 20, 2003
  15. Lawrence

    Lawrence Guest

    I went out and got a straight through cable and got rid of the red crossover
    one, Everything works fine now,Thanks for everyones help.

    Lawrence, Oct 20, 2003