    Any ideas?

    Paul

    , Jan 3, 2005

  2. Hello, !
    You wrote on 2 Jan 2005 20:13:03 -0800:

    T> Hi,

    T> I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. When I run my
    T> broadband connection through the router, I can't access certain
    T> sites (e.g., *.microsoft.com, nytimes.com). This happens with both
    T> wired and wireless connections. When I run the broadband
    T> connection directly into a computer, I can access the sites
    T> without a problem.

    T> Using the router, the sites are found (so it's not a DNS issue),
    T> but no response is received. The router uses factory defaults all
    T> around, except for the PPoE connection info and changing the
    T> wireless security (non-default name, WEP, etc.). When I used the
    T> router's PING and TRACEROUTE functions to test the problematic
    T> sites, both failed, although they worked fine with other sites.

    T> Any ideas?

    1492

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Jan 3, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. When I run my broadband
    > connection through the router, I can't access certain sites (e.g.,
    > *.microsoft.com, nytimes.com). This happens with both wired and
    > wireless connections. When I run the broadband connection directly into
    > a computer, I can access the sites without a problem.

    Someone posted the same problem several days ago. It wasn't you, was it?

    > Using the router, the sites are found (so it's not a DNS issue), but no
    > response is received. The router uses factory defaults all around,
    > except for the PPoE connection info and changing the wireless security
    > (non-default name, WEP, etc.). When I used the router's PING and
    > TRACEROUTE functions to test the problematic sites, both failed,
    > although they worked fine with other sites.

    Many sites block ping and traceroute, so those are not useful tests.

    Have you tried running a sniffer (e.g. Ethereal) to see whether you get
    any response to the connection?

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

    Barry Margolin, Jan 3, 2005
  4. Jeff C Guest

    "Andrey Tarasov" <> wrote in news:crah8s$14uf$1
    @news.aha.ru:

    > Hello, !
    > You wrote on 2 Jan 2005 20:13:03 -0800:
    >
    > T> Hi,
    >
    > T> I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. When I run my
    > T> broadband connection through the router, I can't access certain
    > T> sites (e.g., *.microsoft.com, nytimes.com). This happens with both
    > T> wired and wireless connections. When I run the broadband
    > T> connection directly into a computer, I can access the sites
    > T> without a problem.
    >
    > T> Using the router, the sites are found (so it's not a DNS issue),
    > T> but no response is received. The router uses factory defaults all
    > T> around, except for the PPoE connection info and changing the
    > T> wireless security (non-default name, WEP, etc.). When I used the
    > T> router's PING and TRACEROUTE functions to test the problematic
    > T> sites, both failed, although they worked fine with other sites.
    >
    > T> Any ideas?
    >
    > 1492
    >
    > With best regards,
    > Andrey.

    Columbus sailed the ocean blue. I'm curious how the answer relates.
    Is this an RFC I should go read or a new 802. standard? Help.

    -Jeff

    Jeff C, Jan 3, 2005
  5. In article <Xns95D2E755CD57Djeffcaslakedomailmar@68.12.19.6>,
    Jeff C <> wrote:
    :"Andrey Tarasov" <> wrote in news:crah8s$14uf$1
    :mad:news.aha.ru:

    :> T> I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. When I run my
    :> T> broadband connection through the router, I can't access certain
    :> T> sites (e.g., *.microsoft.com, nytimes.com).

    :> T> Any ideas?

    :> 1492

    :Columbus sailed the ocean blue. I'm curious how the answer relates.
    :Is this an RFC I should go read or a new 802. standard? Help.

    Andrey is, I believe, hinting that the MTU should be dropped to 1492.
    PPPoE take some overhead. If you don't have a functional
    MTU Path Discovery [e.g., because it is turned off or because the
    remote site isn't sending back ICMP FragNeeded or something along
    the way is filtering them out] then you have to lower your MTU to
    take the PPPoE overhead into account.
    --
    "Meme" is self-referential; memes exist if and only if the "meme" meme
    exists. "Meme" is thus logically a meta-meme; but until the existance

    Walter Roberson, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Hello, Jeff!
    You wrote on Mon, 03 Jan 2005 05:44:24 GMT:

    T>>> I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. When I run my
    T>>> broadband connection through the router, I can't access certain
    T>>> sites (e.g., *.microsoft.com, nytimes.com). This happens with
    T>>> both wired and wireless connections. When I run the
    T>>> broadband connection directly into a computer, I can access the
    T>>> sites without a problem.
    ??>>
    T>>> Using the router, the sites are found (so it's not a DNS issue),
    T>>> but no response is received. The router uses factory defaults
    T>>> all around, except for the PPoE connection info and changing the
    T>>> wireless security (non-default name, WEP, etc.). When I used the
    T>>> router's PING and TRACEROUTE functions to test the problematic
    T>>> sites, both failed, although they worked fine with other sites.
    ??>>
    T>>> Any ideas?
    ??>>
    ??>> 1492
    ??>>
    ??>> With best regards,
    ??>> Andrey.

    JC> Columbus sailed the ocean blue. I'm curious how the answer
    JC> relates. Is this an RFC I should go read or a new 802. standard?
    JC> Help.

    http://www.anvari.org/fun/Computer/Bart_Uses_Google.html

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Hello, Walter!
    You wrote on 3 Jan 2005 05:59:14 GMT:

    WR> Andrey is, I believe, hinting that the MTU should be dropped to
    WR> 1492.
    WR> PPPoE take some overhead. If you don't have a functional
    WR> MTU Path Discovery [e.g., because it is turned off or because the
    WR> remote site isn't sending back ICMP FragNeeded or something along
    WR> the way is filtering them out] then you have to lower your MTU to
    WR> take the PPPoE overhead into account.

    Yep. To be correct, it's not client's problem but other way around. Here is a
    nice article

    http://www.netheaven.com/pmtu.html

    With best regards,
    Andrey.