Linksys question...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by RJK, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Upstairs, on my PC I use a WAG354G router and a short RJ45 LAN lead to to my
    PC.
    Downstairs, Dads PC has a WMP54G pci wireless adapter card in it.

    Earlier, (with my PC switched off), I turned on the router so that my niece
    could use Dads' PC down stairs, and then a little later, (whilst she's still
    using Dads' PC), I switched on my PC upstairs and she lost internet access /
    and/or wireless connection downstairs, and I had to go down there and fiddle
    with it to make it "reconnect," anyone know if this is normal, or if I've
    got something incorrectly set up.

    Whilst fiddling around getting Dads' PC set up, I ended up with two profiles
    in it, one "infrastructure" based and the other "ad-hoc" based. DHCP is on
    in the router and it seems to do everything it should. I even fought with
    MAC addresses and am restricting access to the hex. looking ID no. for the
    downstairs PC. That was a nightmare because the MAC address appears to have
    to be received and generated in the router firmware, using a poorly labelled
    procedure in those firmware menus ! i.e. if one types it in it won't work !
    ....anyway, anyone know why the downstairs PC loses the internet when I
    switch mine on upstairs ?

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Sep 15, 2006

  2. RJK

    MartinX Guest

    If you haven't done so, try the following:

    1) Update the firmware for the router. (This might reset your configuration,
    so write that down beforehand).
    2) Update the driver on the PCI wireless card.

    Both can be found by going to the support section for each product on
    Linksys' Web site.

    MartinX, Sep 15, 2006

  3. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Thanx MartinX, I have alreadu updated the firmware in router, didn't think
    about the pci card though !
    ....I've been wading through the Linksys discussion forums and have
    registered and asked similar questions in there :)

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Sep 15, 2006
  4. RJK

    Don35

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2006
    Messages:
    18
    Check to see the MAX connections you are allowing. YOu may be sert to only 1. The wired connection may "overrule" the wireless when only one is allowed. I would go through all the settings on the router. IT is a settting issue.

    Don35, Sep 16, 2006
  5. You should be using the Infrastructure mode. Ad-hoc would be for connecting
    computer to computer without a wireless router between them. You might want
    to check how both the Downstairs computer and upstairs computer are
    configured to use DHCP. It's possible, but unlikely that your computer is
    set to a static address, and the downstairs computer is set to use DHCP. If
    the wireless router handed out the address your computer is configured to
    use, and you switched your computer on after the downstairs computer was
    given this address you could see what you experienced.

    --
    David Hettel
    Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    David Hettel MVP MobileDevices, Sep 16, 2006
  6. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Thanks David for your response. I haven't set any static addresses
    anywhere - not adept enough with that sort of thing i.e. I don't know much
    about networking. My approach was to have it all as automatic as possible,
    and rummage through to change default name and passwords. ...was going to
    change the WEP to WPA but daren't go near that atm.
    UPNP is on in the router but, not installed in, "Windows components," in my
    XP Home ed.(upstairs). I'm sure I read somewhere that UPNP is a biggish
    security issue -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_02july22.mspx
    Since it seems to be working without problems now should I refrain from
    adding UPNP to my XP ?
    ....I think the default Profile on the downstairs (WMP54G) PC is now the
    "Infrastructure" based one - thanks for the explanation on that.

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Sep 17, 2006
  7. Yes IMHO for a router/gateway the benifits from UPNP generally don't outway
    the security risk. So I'd say leave it uninstalled.

    David Hettel MVP MobileDevices, Sep 17, 2006