linksys pap2

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by m0rk, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. m0rk

    m0rk Guest

    I received the Linksys PAP2 from broadbandbuyer.co.uk today.

    Im with telewest on a 512/128 connection.
    Router is a Linksys WRT54G with no QOS setup as yet.

    I signed up with a free sipgate account to test things out and my findings
    so far are:-

    There are a SHEDLOAD of settings in the PAP2, most of which I havent
    touched.
    Im using a modem cable to go from PAP2 > phone (rj11 > rj11).
    Modem cable is crossed, wires 1234 on one side are 4321 on the other.
    The phone has a dial tone, the phone rings.
    I followed the help setup from sipgate for a sipura and changed settings as
    per each page.
    I have called the test 10000 number and hear the voice.
    I can call my voip number, had a conversation on it with the GF.

    Call Qaulity is very good on the voip side, I could hear GF fine. On the
    Telewest side though she said I sounded very quiet, could hear me but was
    faint. We swapped over and yes, it was faint.

    Will have to swap the phone over and test if it is the phone, settings
    somewhere or other - anyone else find the other side of the call faint?
    m0rk, Jul 12, 2005

  2. m0rk

    Dave Gill Guest

    m0rk <> wrote:

    > There are a SHEDLOAD of settings in the PAP2, most of which I havent
    > touched.

    Most of which you don't have to, unless you're compulsively inquisitive.

    > Im using a modem cable to go from PAP2 > phone (rj11 > rj11).
    > Modem cable is crossed, wires 1234 on one side are 4321 on the other.
    > The phone has a dial tone, the phone rings.

    I always thought you were supposed to use an uncrossed phone cable, but
    if your set up works...

    > Will have to swap the phone over and test if it is the phone, settings
    > somewhere or other - anyone else find the other side of the call faint?

    I get occasional reports that I sound "distant" or "quiet" or "echoy"
    but not bad enough to make the service unusable.

    Dave Gill, Jul 13, 2005

  3. m0rk

    m0rk Guest

    "Dave Gill" <> wrote in message
    > m0rk <> wrote:
    >
    >> There are a SHEDLOAD of settings in the PAP2, most of which I havent
    >> touched.

    > Most of which you don't have to, unless you're compulsively inquisitive.

    Yes, i'll have to find a good source on the various settings for these
    things ... just things like the time, it would use ntp.sipgate.net but to
    get the right time I had to set another area to GMT+1.

    There are others too , various call settings, possibly make the rings
    different? havent tested those yet.

    >> Im using a modem cable to go from PAP2 > phone (rj11 > rj11).
    >> Modem cable is crossed, wires 1234 on one side are 4321 on the other.
    >> The phone has a dial tone, the phone rings.

    > I always thought you were supposed to use an uncrossed phone cable, but
    > if your set up works...

    Its working, dont know if its working properly as the other party gets a
    fairly low/quiet sound from me but I receive good quality from them. I'll
    test it with another cable tomorrow.

    >> Will have to swap the phone over and test if it is the phone, settings
    >> somewhere or other - anyone else find the other side of the call faint?

    > I get occasional reports that I sound "distant" or "quiet" or "echoy"
    > but not bad enough to make the service unusable.

    I want to replace my telewest line eventually, but dont want a drop in
    quality.
    m0rk, Jul 13, 2005
  4. m0rk

    Dave Gill Guest

    m0rk <> wrote:

    > There are others too , various call settings, possibly make the rings
    > different? havent tested those yet.

    30(.4/.2,.4/2) gives you the traditional UK "ring, ring".

    > I want to replace my telewest line eventually, but dont want a drop in
    > quality.

    My TW line goes at the end of the month. Sometimes my VoIP calls are as
    clear as POTS calls, sometimes they're not quite, but they're usually at
    least mobile quality and I can live with that.

    Dave Gill, Jul 13, 2005
  5. m0rk

    m0rk Guest

    "Dave Gill" <> wrote in message
    > m0rk <> wrote:
    >
    >> There are others too , various call settings, possibly make the rings
    >> different? havent tested those yet.

    > 30(.4/.2,.4/2) gives you the traditional UK "ring, ring".

    Is that for the dial plan section or somewhere in the regional ... ?
    m0rk, Jul 13, 2005
  6. m0rk

    Dave Gill Guest

    m0rk <> wrote:

    > "Dave Gill" <> wrote in message
    > > m0rk <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> There are others too , various call settings, possibly make the rings
    > >> different? havent tested those yet.

    > > 30(.4/.2,.4/2) gives you the traditional UK "ring, ring".

    > Is that for the dial plan section or somewhere in the regional ... ?

    It isn't listed as one of the standard rings, you need to replace one of
    the Ring# Cadence patterns (in the Regional tab) with that pattern.
    Ring1 is the standard US ring which makes a good contrast to the UK ring
    if you set up both lines, so I'd replace one of the others instead.

    Dave Gill, Jul 13, 2005
  7. m0rk

    Paul -M- Guest

    > Call Qaulity is very good on the voip side, I could hear GF fine. On the
    > Telewest side though she said I sounded very quiet, could hear me but was
    > faint. We swapped over and yes, it was faint.
    >
    > Will have to swap the phone over and test if it is the phone, settings
    > somewhere or other - anyone else find the other side of the call faint?

    I've got the exact same problem when calling my gf on her TW line.
    Paul -M-, Jul 13, 2005
  8. m0rk

    m0rk Guest

    "Paul -M-" <> wrote in message
    >> Call Qaulity is very good on the voip side, I could hear GF fine. On the
    >> Telewest side though she said I sounded very quiet, could hear me but was
    >> faint. We swapped over and yes, it was faint.
    >>
    >> Will have to swap the phone over and test if it is the phone, settings
    >> somewhere or other - anyone else find the other side of the call faint?

    > I've got the exact same problem when calling my gf on her TW line.

    which provider are you using, which hardware / software?..... im wondering
    if it is sipgate specific or linksys pap2 specific or other
    m0rk, Jul 13, 2005
  9. m0rk

    Paul -M- Guest

    > which provider are you using, which hardware / software?..... im wondering
    > if it is sipgate specific or linksys pap2 specific or other

    Linksys pap2, voipbuster/sipgate combination.

    The quiet calls are my outgoing calls on voipbuster, incoming on sipgate is
    fine.
    Paul -M-, Jul 15, 2005
  10. m0rk

    LanMan Guest

    Paul -M- wrote:
    >>which provider are you using, which hardware / software?..... im wondering
    >>if it is sipgate specific or linksys pap2 specific or other

    > Linksys pap2, voipbuster/sipgate combination.
    >
    > The quiet calls are my outgoing calls on voipbuster, incoming on sipgate is
    > fine.

    Paul, could you describe how you setup sipgate (incoming)/
    voipbuster(outgoing)to work on a single phone connected to line 1
    (assuming that's what you've done)

    thanks
    LanMan, Jul 16, 2005
  11. m0rk

    Paul -M- Guest

    > Paul, could you describe how you setup sipgate (incoming)/
    > voipbuster(outgoing)to work on a single phone connected to line 1
    > (assuming that's what you've done)

    Voipbuster is setup on line 1 and sipgate on line 2.
    I've got a dual line dect fone connected to both ports of the pap2.
    Paul -M-, Jul 17, 2005
  12. m0rk

    LanMan Guest

    Paul -M- wrote:
    >>Paul, could you describe how you setup sipgate (incoming)/
    >>voipbuster(outgoing)to work on a single phone connected to line 1
    >>(assuming that's what you've done)

    > Voipbuster is setup on line 1 and sipgate on line 2.
    > I've got a dual line dect fone connected to both ports of the pap2.

    I see. Can you post a link to the 2 line dect phone please ?

    I had a quick search but they are £200+
    LanMan, Jul 17, 2005
  13. m0rk

    NoSpam Guest

    > Voipbuster is setup on line 1 and sipgate on line 2.
    > I've got a dual line dect fone connected to both ports of the pap2.

    If you could post a link to your / some Dual Line DECT phones that would be
    great?

    TIA
    NoSpam, Jul 17, 2005
  14. m0rk

    Paul -M- Guest

    Paul -M-, Jul 17, 2005
  15. m0rk

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ivor Jones, Jul 17, 2005
  16. On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:31:19 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Is the 5.8 GHz band licensed for use in the UK..?

    there are allocations in Band A and Band C, don't know if the rules
    would allow cordless telephony to be used - there are some rules about
    power levels and avoiding military radar frequencies

    <http://www.ofcom.org.uk/research/telecoms/reports/wireless_update/wirelessbroadband/Section4?a=87101>
    <http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/enforcement/rtandthelaw#content>

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !
    Phil Thompson, Jul 18, 2005
  17. Dave Gill wrote:

    >>Im using a modem cable to go from PAP2 > phone (rj11 > rj11).
    >>Modem cable is crossed, wires 1234 on one side are 4321 on the other.
    >>The phone has a dial tone, the phone rings.

    > I always thought you were supposed to use an uncrossed phone cable, but
    > if your set up works...

    It usually doesn't make any difference, generally you only need wires 2
    and 3, and it doesn't matter if they are crossed or not.

    A lot of old phone systems used lines 1 and 4 for supply lines, so it's
    worth watching out for that.
    Thomas Rankin, Aug 4, 2005