    Is there an idiot's guide to getting one of these running.

    Thanks.

    Dave

    Dave, Dec 23, 2008

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:57:55 GMT, Dave <> wrote:

    >I've just purchased one of the above on e-Bay for use with Betamax's
    >SMSlisto VOIP service.
    >
    >Today it arrived - but NO instructions or installation CD or anything
    >else enclosed. Just the unit and a wall-plug power supply.
    >
    >Is there an idiot's guide to getting one of these running.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Dave

    I suppose I should have Googled before asking.
    Now I find googling to <<linksys pap2 instructions "set up">> to be
    quite revealing.
    I'd still love to hear if somebody has a real idiot's guide.
    Thanks.

    Dave, Dec 23, 2008

  3. Dave

    Guest

    On Dec 23, 12:24 pm, Dave <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:57:55 GMT, Dave <> wrote:
    > >I've just purchased one of the above on e-Bay for use with Betamax's
    > >SMSlisto VOIP service.

    > >Today it arrived - but NO instructions or installation CD or anything
    > >else enclosed. Just the unit and a wall-plug power supply.

    > >Is there an idiot's guide to getting one of these running.

    > >Thanks.

    > >Dave

    > I suppose I should have Googled before asking.
    > Now I find googling to <<linksys pap2 instructions "set up">> to be
    > quite revealing.
    > I'd still love to hear if somebody has a real idiot's guide.
    > Thanks.

    try the setup pages on the smslisto site http://www.smslisto.com/en/sipp.html
    scroll down to the linksys spa3102 which is a similar setup to the pap2

    , Dec 23, 2008
  4. Dave

    acierinox Guest

    acierinox, Dec 23, 2008
  5. Dave

    Graham. Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > I've just purchased one of the above on e-Bay for use with Betamax's
    > SMSlisto VOIP service.
    >
    > Today it arrived - but NO instructions or installation CD or anything
    > else enclosed. Just the unit and a wall-plug power supply.
    >
    > Is there an idiot's guide to getting one of these running.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Dave

    Line 1 of my PAP2 is on smslisto.com
    Have you found the IP address and been able to log on
    with your browser?
    I suggest you use a static address rather than allowing
    your router to assign one via DHCP

    All the config changes are made in admin logon- line 1
    proxy = sip.smslisto.com
    display name=your username
    auth id = your username
    user id = the number you wish to present as CLI* or leave blank.
    password = your password

    * number requires verifing in "my personal profile" in the smslisto
    softphone
    client

    Just post back here if you get stuck

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Dec 23, 2008
  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanks guys.
    All sorted.
    One of the easiest things I've ever done!

    Yes, I found instructions at http://phonecallcheap.com/linksys.aspx

    I suggest you use a static address rather than allowing
    your router to assign one via DHCP.

    I don't understand all this stuff, but I was using a cable modem ONLY,
    ie no router.
    I pulled an old router out of the attic and simply connected it
    between cable modem and PC.
    It simply worked with no set-up.
    Is that using DHCP ???

    Cheers and Happy Christmas.

    Dave

    Dave, Dec 23, 2008
  7. Dave

    alexd Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > I pulled an old router out of the attic and simply connected it
    > between cable modem and PC.
    > It simply worked with no set-up.
    > Is that using DHCP ???

    No, that's an attic IP address. Or something. But seriously, yes, that's
    DHCP.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    17:28:27 up 18 days, 19:41, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.04

    alexd, Dec 23, 2008
  8. Dave

    Nick Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    > > I pulled an old router out of the attic and simply connected it
    > > between cable modem and PC.
    > > It simply worked with no set-up.
    > > Is that using DHCP ???

    > No, that's an attic IP address. Or something. But seriously, yes, that's
    > DHCP.
    >
    > --
    > <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    > 17:28:27 up 18 days, 19:41, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.04
    > They call me titless because I have no tits

    Are "attic" IP addresses a higher level than static ones?

    Nick, Dec 23, 2008
  9. Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed, for some
    strange, unexplained reason:

    [snip]

    :
    : try the setup pages on the smslisto site
    : http://www.smslisto.com/en/sipp.html scroll down to the linksys
    : spa3102 which is a similar setup to the pap2

    Or if you're using Sipgate try http://www.sipgate.co.uk/setup/linksyspap2

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 23, 2008
  10. Dave

    Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:44:02 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    > <> typed, for some
    >strange, unexplained reason:
    >: On Dec 23, 12:24 pm, Dave <> wrote:
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >: > I'd still love to hear if somebody has a real idiot's guide.
    >: > Thanks.
    >:
    >: try the setup pages on the smslisto site
    >: http://www.smslisto.com/en/sipp.html scroll down to the linksys
    >: spa3102 which is a similar setup to the pap2
    >
    >Or if you're using Sipgate try http://www.sipgate.co.uk/setup/linksyspap2
    >
    >Ivor

    Now why would he want to be using Sipgate when there are decent
    providers here in the UK only bloody fools give their custom to
    Sipgate .

    , Dec 23, 2008
  11. Dave

    Graham. Guest

> [...]

    > DND Dial Tone: 350@-19,440@-19;2(.2/.2/2);10(*/0/1+2)
    > Holding Tone: 600@-19;*(.1/.1/1,.1/.1/1,.1/9.5/1)
    > Conference Tone: 350@-19;20(.1/.1/1,.1/9.7/1)
    > Secure Call Indication Tone:
    > 397@-19,507@-19;15(0/2/0,.2/.1/1,.1/2.1/2)
    > Feature Invocation Tone: 350@-16;*(.1/.1/1)
    >
    > Ring1 Cadence: 60(.4/.2,.4/2)
    > Ring2 Cadence: 60(1/2)
    > Ring3 Cadence: 60(.25/.25,.25/.25,.25/1.75)

    > CWT1 Cadence: 30(.2/.2,.2/4.4)
    >
    > Ring Waveform: Sinusoid (though Trapezoid may help problematic phones
    > to ring).
    > Ring Frequency: 25
    > Ring Voltage: 80 (You can use 70, if problems try 75, 80, 85, 90)
    > CWT Frequency: 425@-20
    > Synchronized Ring: Yes
    >
    > Hook Flash Timer Min: .06
    > Hook Flash Timer Max: .2
    > Callee On Hook Delay: 0
    > Reorder Delay: 5
    > Call Back Expires: 1800
    > Call Back Retry Intvl: 30
    > Call Back Delay: .5
    > VMWI Refresh Intvl: 0
    > Interdigit Long Timer: 10
    > Interdigit Short Timer: 3
    > CPC Delay: .5
    > CPC Duration: .1

    > Time Zone: GMT
    > FXS Port Impedance: 370+620||310nF
    > Daylight Saving Time Rule:
    > start=3/-1/7/2:0:0;end=10/-1/7/2:0:0;save=1:0:0
    > DTMF Playback Level: -16
    > DTMF Playback Length: .25
    > Caller ID Method: ETSI FSK With PR(UK)
    > FXS Port Power Limit: 3
    > Caller ID FSK Standard: v.23
    > Feature Invocation Method: Default
    > More Echo Suppression: yes
    >
    > In Line 1 (or Line 2)
    >
    > Line Enable: yes
    > NAT Mapping Enable: yes
    > NAT Keep Alive Enable: yes
    > Network Jitter Level: low (Depends on how good your broadband is /
    > route to VoIP server)
    > Jitter Buffer Adjustment: Up and Down
    >

    > Proxy and Registration
    > Proxy: Your Voip Proxy address (for example sip1.sipdiscount.com or
    > sip.voipcheap.com or sipgate.co.uk etc)
    >
    > Subscriber Information - (where you enter your VoIP Account details).
    >
    > Supplementary Service Subscription (See also User 1 & User 2) - This
    > is where you enable services such as Call Waiting, 3-Way Calling,
    > block anonymous caller etc)
    >
    > Audio Configuration - This is where you set-up which codecs you want
    > to use or only use.
    > If you have limited broadband speed (mostly if upload is poor) then
    > you probably only use one or more from G729a, G723 or G726)
    > If you want the best quality line, then you'd choose G711a (which is
    > the standard used on a standard line)
    >
    > (Myself, I use G711a only, have that set to my preferred codec and use
    > that one only, but you may find other codecs are fine).
    >
    > DTMF Tx Method: (This will depend on the VoIP service you use, trial
    > and error and depends on codec) Soon know if it don't work when
    > try telephone banking for example and it doesn't recognize what

    Jeez, I understand this stuff and I'm dizzy!

    Anyway, you missed out how to construct a Sipura dial-plan. ;-)

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Dec 23, 2008
  12. Dave

    PAJ Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:49:18 GMT, wrote:

    >Now why would he want to be using Sipgate when there are decent
    >providers here in the UK only bloody fools give their custom to
    >Sipgate .

    You still sucking COCK?

    PAJ, Dec 24, 2008
  13. Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:

    [snip]

    : Now why would he want to be using Sipgate when there are decent
    : providers here in the UK only bloody fools give their custom to
    : Sipgate .

    Merry Christmas to you too, Ron.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 24, 2008
  14. Dave

    alexd Guest

    wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:44:02 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:

    >>Or if you're using Sipgate try http://www.sipgate.co.uk/setup/linksyspap2

    > Now why would he want to be using Sipgate when there are decent
    > providers here in the UK

    Yes Ivor, you should be more patriotic and promote the VoIP service supplied
    by a large tax-dodging UK supermarket. I mean, they only get one in every
    eight pounds spent in this country so I think we should find it in our
    hearts to be a little more charitable towards them this Christmas, don't
    you?

    > only bloody fools give their custom to
    > Sipgate .

    Au contraire. Only bloody fools are incapable of programming their kit to
    work with Sipgate. I can program your kit to work with Sipgate for you, but
    it's going to cost you about a fiver. And I'd want the fiver up front too;
    your reputation preceeds you, Ronny Baby!

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    15:09:40 up 19 days, 17:22, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.02

    alexd, Dec 24, 2008
  15. Dave

    Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 00:35:46 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    > <> typed, for some strange,
    >unexplained reason:
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >: Now why would he want to be using Sipgate when there are decent
    >: providers here in the UK only bloody fools give their custom to
    >: Sipgate .
    >
    >Merry Christmas to you too, Ron.

    Christmas did you say Ivor what is Christmas Ivor except an excuse for
    bloody fools to get pissed up to the eyeballs and throw money away
    on stupid presents .
    May the 5th of January come quickly then peace quiet and Sanity will
    be restored once again until this time next year of course, may not
    be quite so bad next year though Mr Brown may just succeed in bringing
    the country really to its knees in 2009 .

    , Dec 24, 2008
  16. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I suggest you use a static address rather than allowing
    your router to assign one via DHCP.

    >> I pulled an old router out of the attic and simply connected it
    >> between cable modem and PC.
    >> It simply worked with no set-up.
    >> Is that using DHCP ???

    >No, that's an attic IP address. Or something. But seriously, yes, that's
    >DHCP.

    OK, could you suggest what is the disadvantage of DHCP.
    It seems to work OK.
    Is it worth me changing ?

    Thanks.

    Dave, Dec 24, 2008
  17. Dave

    Graham. Guest

    `

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >I suggest you use a static address rather than allowing
    > your router to assign one via DHCP.
    >>
    >>> I pulled an old router out of the attic and simply connected it
    >>> between cable modem and PC.
    >>> It simply worked with no set-up.
    >>> Is that using DHCP ???

    >>No, that's an attic IP address. Or something. But seriously, yes, that's
    >>DHCP.

    > OK, could you suggest what is the disadvantage of DHCP.
    > It seems to work OK.
    > Is it worth me changing ?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Only that the address might change the next time you want to
    log on. Also if you get involved with incoming calls you
    will need to forward some ports to the IP address of the ATA

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Dec 24, 2008
  18. Dave

    Stephen Ward Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 17:06:00 +0000, Graham. wrote:

    > `
    >
    > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >>I suggest you use a static address rather than allowing
    >> your router to assign one via DHCP.

    >>>No, that's an attic IP address. Or something. But seriously, yes,
    >>>that's DHCP.

    >> OK, could you suggest what is the disadvantage of DHCP. It seems to
    >> work OK.
    >> Is it worth me changing ?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Only that the address might change the next time you want to log on.
    > Also if you get involved with incoming calls you will need to forward
    > some ports to the IP address of the ATA

    -
    So are you saying if you have a static (not leased by DHCP) IP you don't
    need to NAT the ports . . . . . . . . Umm. I forgot, what about uPNP ...

    So many choices . . .

    -
    --
    .. . .

    Stephen Ward, Dec 24, 2008
  19. Dave

    Graham. Guest

    "Stephen Ward" <> wrote in
    message news:4952985b$0$10553$...
    > On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 17:06:00 +0000, Graham. wrote:
    >
    >> `
    >>
    >> "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >>>I suggest you use a static address rather than allowing
    >>> your router to assign one via DHCP.

    >>> OK, could you suggest what is the disadvantage of DHCP. It seems to
    >>> work OK.
    >>> Is it worth me changing ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Only that the address might change the next time you want to log on.
    >> Also if you get involved with incoming calls you will need to forward
    >> some ports to the IP address of the ATA

    > -
    > So are you saying if you have a static (not leased by DHCP) IP you don't
    > need to NAT the ports

    Not at all, it's easier if the target nodes keep the same address.
    And isn't the need to forward (or map) ports a *consiquence* of NAT?

    .. . . . . . . . Umm. I forgot, what about uPNP ...

    Don't trust uPNP I perfer to make my own arrangements :)

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Dec 24, 2008
  20. Dave

    Stephen Ward Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 20:41:19 +0000, Graham. wrote:

    > "Stephen Ward" <> wrote in
    > message news:4952985b$0$10553$...
    >> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 17:06:00 +0000, Graham. wrote:
    >>
    >>> `
    >>>
    >>> "Dave" <> wrote in message

    >>> Only that the address might change the next time you want to log on.
    >>> Also if you get involved with incoming calls you will need to forward
    >>> some ports to the IP address of the ATA

    >> -
    >> So are you saying if you have a static (not leased by DHCP) IP you
    >> don't need to NAT the ports

    > Not at all, it's easier if the target nodes keep the same address. And
    > isn't the need to forward (or map) ports a *consiquence* of NAT?
    >
    > . . . . . . . . Umm. I forgot, what about uPNP ...
    >
    > Don't trust uPNP I perfer to make my own arrangements :)
    >>
    >> So many choices . . .

    Easier for who or what? I don't think any sys admin with a large pool of
    machines to look after would share your take on things. The 'give it a
    static IP address' is the hand rail for the crippled small-scale
    networker.

    'Making your own arrangements' is fine and Dandy for a few hosts.

    --
    .. . .

    Stephen Ward, Dec 25, 2008