    If I drop wireless requirement from a router, would there be any
    difference between an older router off ebay and a new SR520 ?

    Any used router models you would recommend if I am to seek it off ebay ?

    JF Mezei, Jun 29, 2009

  2. JF Mezei <> writes:
    >I am looking to replace my SOHO router. I am looking at one which would
    >have 802.11n if possible. No need for built-in ADSL router. And I would
    >prefer IOS if possible.

    >But I don't have a million dollars to spend -:(

    Oh, you can get quite alot of decent cisco hardware for less than a
    million dollars. :)

    >Is the 500 series ( SR520W-FE-K9 )
    > the only affordable Cisco router ?

    Affordable for you might be quite a bit different than affordable for
    somebody else... Cisco doesn't seem interested in going after the $100
    router market..

    >This only only has 802.11g wireless.

    Cisco is late to the .11n game, AFAIK, they only have one AP barely
    shipping that supports .11n. I wouldn't expect it to perculate down to
    all their product lines yet. OOTH, they do things like let you have
    8-10 SSIDs on different VLANs, and other things that no consumer grade
    gear is ever going to support. Only 2 beacon SSIDs, but still that is
    more than Linksys is going to do.

    >Or am I restricted to Linksys products in the affordable range if I want
    >something new ?

    You'd have to define what kind of throughput and features you want.
    For alot of things now-a-days, I wouldn't even look at a router
    for a network, and use a firewall product instead.

    >If I drop wireless requirement from a router, would there be any
    >difference between an older router off ebay and a new SR520 ?

    People assume all cisco routers are built for what they want to use
    them for, which is far from the truth. Many routers out there have
    pretty poor throughput, much less than people expect. Ie. you pick up
    a 2610, and you'll be looking at pushing 5-6Mbps through it. If you
    happen to have like a 30Mbps cable connection, its going to be a huge
    limitation for you.

    You have to define what you are trying to do, and you expect to match
    with the very specialized defined Cisco hardware, rather than just
    you want a general router. As I said above, a firewall product may
    very well support you better.

    Doug McIntyre, Jun 29, 2009

  3. JF Mezei

    Thrill5 Guest

    Most of the 870 series routers can be had for less than $300. The Linksys
    are cheaper, but given the choice I tell customers to spend an extra $150
    and get the Cisco. It's cheaper because I will charge them more for
    support in the long run. With a Cisco, it's pretty easy to diagnose a
    problem (if you know what your doing), while with the linksys its a lot of
    guessing. The Cisco also supports just about anything they would even need
    to do, while the LinkSys does things only one way and if what you need to do
    doesn't fit into that mold your s**t-out-of-luck.

    Thrill5, Jun 30, 2009
  4. JF Mezei

    Andy Doe Guest

    > Most of the 870 series routers can be had for less than $300.

    Well but throughput is an Issue on the 870 Series. I am hooked up to a 100
    Mbit FTTP Connection but the Router (871) is barely
    pushing 15 Mbit through the line. If you turn of IOS-FW and NAT you might
    get more but I recently got me an ASA in order
    to get my througput.

    Best...Andy

    Andy Doe, Jul 6, 2009