    encryption but then there is no encryption.
    Any ideas?
    Kcanton

    kcanton, Mar 17, 2005

  2. kcanton

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "kcanton" <> wrote in message
    news:ke6_d.34841$...
    > kcanton wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I installed a Linksys wireless -g 802.11g router with speedbooster in
    >> my computer and installed the appropriate PCI card in another computer.
    >> It worked perfectly out of the box.
    >> I then tried to share files between the computers and I got that done
    >> as well.
    >> I am not sure what happened next. I use the Microsoft firewall beta
    >> and I don't know what I did, I lost my connection between the two
    >> computers.

    Enabling the FW on the machine may be blocking traffic between the machines
    and you may have to set/enable the FW Exception rule for File and Print
    Sharing so that the FW will allow traffic between the machines. And why are
    you using a beta version of the XP FW? You right-click the network
    connection icon on the LAN screen and select Properties/Advanced/Advanced.

    >> I see the signal but the browser will not open. In fact the wireless
    >> signal reads not connected on the view wireless connections window.
    >> Whoever if I click on it says in the dialogue box it will be
    >> disconnected.

    >> I am able to resolve this problem partially by disabling the WEP
    >> encryption but then there is no encryption.
    >> Any ideas?

    Then most likely the WEP key being used on the card and the one being used
    on the router do not match. The WEP keys must match, otherwise, there will
    be no valid connection between the card and the router.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 17, 2005

  3. kcanton wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I installed a Linksys wireless -g 802.11g router with speedbooster in my
    > computer and installed the appropriate PCI card in another computer. It
    > worked perfectly out of the box.
    > I then tried to share files between the computers and I got that done as
    > well.
    > I am not sure what happened next. I use the Microsoft firewall beta and I
    > don't know what I did, I lost my connection between the two computers.
    > I see the signal but the browser will not open. In fact the wireless
    > signal reads not connected on the view wireless connections window. Whoever
    > if I click on it says in the dialogue box it will be disconnected.
    > I am able to resolve this problem partially by disabling the WEP
    > encryption but then there is no encryption.
    > Any ideas?
    > Kcanton

    Have you tried disabling the firewall? or Uninstalling it?

    --
    http://www.tditcorp.com <-- keep your computer safe and secure the easy
    way!

    Tom - www.tditcorp.com, Mar 17, 2005
  4. kcanton

    Jerry G. Guest

    Since you should have a firewall in the router, why would you need one
    active in computers???

    You should not be running a firewall in your computer, if you have one
    active in your modem, or the router. It is not a good practice to run
    multiple firewalls on top of each other, unless you are prepared to do some
    very sophisticated configurations with it.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Mar 17, 2005
  5. Jerry G. wrote:
    > Since you should have a firewall in the router, why would you need one
    > active in computers???
    >
    > You should not be running a firewall in your computer, if you have one
    > active in your modem, or the router. It is not a good practice to run
    > multiple firewalls on top of each other, unless you are prepared to do some
    > very sophisticated configurations with it.

    Can you install OE-Quotefix so that you can place your sig at the bottom
    of the post where it is supposed to be please?
    By top-posting and adding your sig directly under your own text, you are
    rendering all following text as part of your sig and it all gets
    stripped in replies.

    --
    That or get a decent newsreader that does the job properly.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 17, 2005
  6. kcanton

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold, Mar 17, 2005