    implementing some authentication?

    Thanks in advance for any ideas.

    Jake

    GitarJake, Jul 22, 2007

  2. GitarJake wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Linksys wireless router that I use to access the internet. I'm not
    > really using the wireless part.
    >
    > Lately my cable internet is slower than cat-dirt and I suspect the router.
    >
    > Is there the possibility that someone is connecting to the internet with the
    > wireless function of the router? Would this cause the slowdown?
    >
    > If so, how might I stop the wireless access either by turning it off or
    > implementing some authentication?

    Since you're not using the wireless side, just disable it. Go to
    http://192.168.1.1 and log in, leave the user name blank and password of
    "admin". But a more logical explanation for the slowdown is too many
    users on your leg of the cable. Call the cable company and complain. Ask
    your neighbors who are on the same cable service if they're having
    slowdowns.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 22, 2007

  3. Rôgêr wrote:

    > GitarJake wrote:
    >> I have a Linksys wireless router ...

    > Since you're not using the wireless side, just disable it. Go to
    > http://192.168.1.1 and log in, leave the user name blank and password of
    > "admin".

    ...and while there, change the default from something other than "admin"
    to a strong unguessable word - combination of letters and numbers. Write
    it down somewhere...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 22, 2007
  4. Rôgêr wrote:

    > "admin". But a more logical explanation for the slowdown is too many
    > users on your leg of the cable. Call the cable company and complain. Ask
    > your neighbors who are on the same cable service if they're having
    > slowdowns.

    Linksys has wireless enabled without encryption right out of the box.
    The neighbors are using his AP thus the slow connection.

    Calling his ISP is a waste of time.

    George Phillips, Jul 22, 2007
  5. George Phillips wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    > > "admin". But a more logical explanation for the slowdown is too many
    > > users on your leg of the cable. Call the cable company and complain. Ask
    > > your neighbors who are on the same cable service if they're having
    > > slowdowns.

    > Linksys has wireless enabled without encryption right out of the box.
    > The neighbors are using his AP thus the slow connection.
    >
    > Calling his ISP is a waste of time.

    God, I wish I was clairvoyant. Must be nice.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 22, 2007
  6. GitarJake

    Leythos Guest

    In article <f807o4$m5m$>, in says...
    > Linksys has wireless enabled without encryption right out of the box.
    > The neighbors are using his AP thus the slow connection.

    The newest of the Linksys units do not have wireless enabled out of the
    box and require the user to do a minor setup. That may have nothing to
    do with this problem, but at least Linksys is getting smarter.

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    and put on his website: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
    3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
    not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
    googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.

    Leythos, Jul 22, 2007