    chrisa Guest

    I have a Linksys Wireless G router(and previously same problem on
    Wireless B router too). I have a home networking package

    chrisa, Mar 20, 2007

  2. chrisa

    chrisa Guest

    Pardon me, I accidently hit the post button prematurely on the last
    post....

    I have a Linksys Wireless G router(and previously same problem on
    Wireless B router too). I have a home networking package. My desktop
    pc is wirelessly connected and my roomate's laptop is also wirelessly
    connected. He seems to have no issues with connectivity on his laptop.
    But with me, I can plug everything in and the internet is working just
    fine for about 10 minutes, then all of a sudden my connection drops.
    But what is strange is that it only drops for web browser access. I
    can still get email and post to usenet or even stream music. But
    cannot access webpages. If I pull out my wireless USB receiver and
    then plug it back in, I get about another 10 minutes of access then it
    drops again. My only way to access the internet is too plug the
    computer directly into the modem bypassing the router, but then if the
    router is not plugged in my roomate has no access. I have a job that
    is dependent on me having a stable connection and this is driving me
    absolutely nuts having to constantly plug in and unplug the connection
    every 10 minutes. I don't know what to do anymore, can't even imagine
    would be causing this problem. I have had no problems connecting to
    unsecured wireless networks in the neighborhood, so it can't be my
    receiver or PC. roomate connects fine, so it's obviously not the
    router or modem connection. I can't seem to isolate the cause. I just
    bought a new Linksys Wireless G router to see if that changed things,
    but it did not.

    Can someone PLEASE shed some light???

    chrisa, Mar 20, 2007

  3. chrisa wrote:
    > Pardon me, I accidently hit the post button prematurely on the last
    > post....
    >
    > I have a Linksys Wireless G router(and previously same problem on
    > Wireless B router too). I have a home networking package. My desktop
    > pc is wirelessly connected and my roomate's laptop is also wirelessly
    > connected. He seems to have no issues with connectivity on his laptop.
    > But with me, I can plug everything in and the internet is working just
    > fine for about 10 minutes, then all of a sudden my connection drops.
    > But what is strange is that it only drops for web browser access. I
    > can still get email and post to usenet or even stream music. But
    > cannot access webpages. If I pull out my wireless USB receiver and
    > then plug it back in, I get about another 10 minutes of access then it
    > drops again. My only way to access the internet is too plug the
    > computer directly into the modem bypassing the router, but then if the
    > router is not plugged in my roomate has no access. I have a job that
    > is dependent on me having a stable connection and this is driving me
    > absolutely nuts having to constantly plug in and unplug the connection
    > every 10 minutes. I don't know what to do anymore, can't even imagine
    > would be causing this problem. I have had no problems connecting to
    > unsecured wireless networks in the neighborhood, so it can't be my
    > receiver or PC. roomate connects fine, so it's obviously not the
    > router or modem connection. I can't seem to isolate the cause. I just
    > bought a new Linksys Wireless G router to see if that changed things,
    > but it did not.
    >
    > Can someone PLEASE shed some light???

    From your description the first thing I would try is turning off
    Wireless Zero Configuration and use the software that came with the USB
    device to do configuration. Second thing I would try is a different USB
    device if you lay your hands on one to try it.

    One question, doesn't your wireless router have any ethernet ports? You
    wouldn't need to disconnect roomie if it does.

    To turn off WZC:
    http://paininthetech.com/disable_wireless_zero_configuration_in_windows_xp
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/b67z3

    Good luck

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 20, 2007
  4. chrisa

    chrisa Guest

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:28:46 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >One question, doesn't your wireless router have any ethernet ports? You
    >wouldn't need to disconnect roomie if it does.

    Yes, when I run a cable between the router and the pc, I get the same
    problem. The only way I can use the internet without the frequent
    dropping is plugging my cable directly into the modem and bypassing
    the router.

    chrisa, Mar 20, 2007