    cable connection. Does anyone have a way to tell if it is a defective router
    or a comcast issue?

    Thanx in advance
    Aim High, Sep 5, 2004

  2. Aim High

    jason2 Guest

    <Plenty> wrote in message news:...
    > I've used most of them lynksys, hawking, dlink and netgear. Every router
    > i've used has busted completely in 6 months or less. I've stopped buying
    > routers as none of them work. Take it from there.
    > "Aim High" <> wrote in message
    > > BlankI have the above Linksys B standard router attached to first one

    and
    > > then two XP computers. They are hard wired. It seems that at irregular
    > > intervals from every few hours to every few days I have to release and
    > > renew the dhcp in the router and then I get right back on. I use comcast
    > > for my cable connection. Does anyone have a way to tell if it is a
    > > defective router or a comcast issue?
    > >
    > > Thanx in advance

    I have a Linksys BEFSR41 I connected to my cable modem about a year and a
    half ago. I have connected and disconnected computers, other routers and a
    hubs. Always, as soon as I open IE I get online (Cox). I am always
    connected to the other computer on my LAN with any othter computer on my
    lan. In other words, It words like it's supposed to work.
    jason2, Sep 5, 2004

  3. Aim High

    DennisC Guest

    "Aim High" <> wrote in message
    > BlankI have the above Linksys B standard router attached to first one and
    > then two XP computers. They are hard wired. It seems that at irregular
    > intervals from every few hours to every few days I have to release and

    renew
    > the dhcp in the router and then I get right back on. I use comcast for my
    > cable connection. Does anyone have a way to tell if it is a defective

    router
    > or a comcast issue?
    >
    > Thanx in advance
    >
    > Hi,

    More than likely it is a Comcast issue. Considering the router will
    renew the dhcp lease I doubt it is a defective router. I am on Cox
    Cable and when I installed it there were similar problems. They issued
    a computer name, i.e. cx-1234a. I finally tried assigning that name to
    the router and it has worked fine ever since. Usually a dhcp server does
    not require a name. If Comcast issued a similar name you could try
    that.

    After time passes and you go through the release/renew process
    a few times the dhcp server should begin to work properly.
    You also could try calling tech support. I don't know if comcast
    supports routers or not. If they do, give them a call.

    P.s. I am considering a move to a comcast area so this problem
    interests me. Let me know in a repost how it turned out.

    Cheers,
    DennisC
    router.
    DennisC, Sep 5, 2004
  4. Aim High

    Aim High Guest

    Thanks Dennis. I will soon call Comcast as this has gone on for at least 6
    months now. Watch thread and I'll keep you filled in.

    Aim High

    Aim High, Sep 5, 2004
  5. Aim High

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Sep 5, 2004
  6. Aim High

    Aim High Guest

    Thanks for input Plenty. I suppose that just hasn't been my experience
    especially with Linksys. I have only ever had to replace one and I do this
    for a living. I wonder why you are having such trouble! Do you use a good
    surge suppressor?

    AH

    Aim High, Sep 5, 2004
  7. Aim High

    Aim High Guest

    Just has to be Comcast I am starting to figure!

    AH

    Aim High, Sep 5, 2004
  8. Aim High

    pcbutts1 Guest

    User error. How can all those routers be bad. It must be something you are
    doing.

    pcbutts1, Sep 6, 2004
  9. Aim High

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Go to www.linksys.com and download the firmware update for your router.

    pcbutts1, Sep 6, 2004
  10. In article <>, says...

    > I've used most of them lynksys, hawking, dlink and netgear. Every router
    > i've used has busted completely in 6 months or less. I've stopped buying
    > routers as none of them work. Take it from there.

    I have a Linksys BEFSR11 that was flaky. Worked, but it would lock up if
    there were no computers powered up on the LAN side.

    I have an SMC Barricade which replaced it, and ran with few problems until
    about March of 2003 (two years). Alas, I mis-diagnosed the fault, and
    thought it was dead; replaced it.

    I have a Netgear FR114P, the replacement for the above Barricade. Running
    for the last year and a half, or so.

    Since that time, I have found out that the Barricade still lives, and the
    most recent firmware seems to have cured the Linksys flakyness.

    I can't say what your problem is. I've never heard of anybody having that
    kind of luck; with routers.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
    Norman Miller, Sep 6, 2004
  11. In article <>, Aim High says...

    > BlankI have the above Linksys B standard router attached to first one and
    > then two XP computers. They are hard wired. It seems that at irregular
    > intervals from every few hours to every few days I have to release and renew
    > the dhcp in the router and then I get right back on. I use comcast for my
    > cable connection. Does anyone have a way to tell if it is a defective router
    > or a comcast issue?

    Comcast has inherited the old ATTBI network, much of which was originally
    "@Home" broadband. I think my brother-in-law needed to enter a network
    assigned computer name in the router. Something that somebody else mentioned
    that their ISP does require. Time to call Comcast.

    Norman Miller, Sep 6, 2004
  12. Aim High

    Aim High Guest

    First thing now in the AM.. Think I have the latest firmware too but I'll
    check to be sure.

    AH

    Aim High, Sep 6, 2004
  13. Aim High

    Fan Guest

    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 14:42:46 -0700, "Aim High"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for input Plenty. I suppose that just hasn't been my experience
    >especially with Linksys. I have only ever had to replace one and I do this
    >for a living. I wonder why you are having such trouble! Do you use a good
    >surge suppressor?
    >
    >AH
    >

    ><Plenty> wrote in message news:...
    >> I've used most of them lynksys, hawking, dlink and netgear. Every router
    >> i've used has busted completely in 6 months or less. I've stopped buying
    >> routers as none of them work. Take it from there.
    >> "Aim High" <> wrote in message
    >>> BlankI have the above Linksys B standard router attached to first one and
    >>> then two XP computers. They are hard wired. It seems that at irregular
    >>> intervals from every few hours to every few days I have to release and
    >>> renew the dhcp in the router and then I get right back on. I use comcast
    >>> for my cable connection. Does anyone have a way to tell if it is a
    >>> defective router or a comcast issue?
    >>>
    >>> Thanx in advance

    I have had very poor luck with the Linksys brand. After returning
    several different pieces from several different systems, I stopped
    buying them. I now use dLink almost all the time.

    I have had some defective units, but a very small percentage. I wish
    that my personal one would break so I could have an excuse to replace
    it with a newer model, lol.
    Fan, Sep 9, 2004
  14. Aim High

    Aim High Guest

    Hey Folks. Well I finally broke down and bought a new wireless G router from
    Linksys and the problem is gone. Just thought I would let you all know.
    Thanks again for all your help.

    AH

    Aim High, Sep 20, 2004