    firewall/router to be a host for pcAnywhere?

    Thanks!

    Tim...
    Tim Harden, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Tim Harden

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Tim Harden" <> wrote in news:pQZGb.42054
    $:

    > Anyone know how to configure this router to allow a PC behind the
    > firewall/router to be a host for pcAnywhere?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Tim...

    You go to Google and search on *What are the pcanywhere Ports?*. You'll be
    looking for what is the *inbound* port that must be open on the router
    using *Port Forwarding*, which that info can be obtained at www.linksys.com
    Support Knowledge Base.

    You open that port. You'll need a host based FW on the machine with rules
    set to only allow specified IP(s) reach the machine on the port, because a
    NAT router cannot stop unsolicited inbound on *Port Forwarded* ports(s).
    That's because the simple NAT router doesn't have a *firewall*. It has SPI,
    if that and has FW like features.

    The NAT router you and I have meets the specs below.

    An appliance that has a real FW will meet the spaec. below.

    http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.html

    You want an appliance with a *real* FW you'll be looking at the WatchGuard
    Firebox III SOHO 6 line that starts out at about $400.

    The NAT router will not protect if the machine is in the DMZ as well.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/port-forwarding-dmz.asp

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Tim Harden

    Spam-A-Ram-A Guest

    I think it's ports 5610 & 5611, check the PCA faq page to make sure if that
    doesn't work.

    Spam-A-Ram-A, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Tim Harden

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:14:14 GMT, "Spam-A-Ram-A"
    <> wrote:

    >I think it's ports 5610 & 5611, check the PCA faq page to make sure if that
    >doesn't work.

    5631 and 5632 in the server I use, Ver 10. DIfferent version use
    different ports. I think an older version uses 1801 and 1802.

    -sw
    Steve Wertz, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Tim Harden

    Spam-A-Ram-A Guest

    Oops, you're right of course, it's been awhile I use TightVNC now. Price
    sure was right, just wish I didn't have to keep an FTP server running on the
    side in case I need to xfer files...

    Spam-A-Ram-A, Dec 28, 2003