    other PC is picking up the wireless access of the router but not the
    internet. What is going wrong here? Help!!

    Thank You for any Help in Advance
    Parker, Dec 27, 2004

  2. Parker

    mikeFNB Guest

    "Parker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm sure this question has been asked before and I had not seen the

    answer
    > so here it goes again. First question is when installing a wireless

    router
    > with a USB cable modem(which does have an rj-45 output to router)do you

    NOT
    > hook up the USB connector at all so you can use the LAN connection output?
    > or is it required.

    no it is not
    then link via cat5 cable RJ-45 CM to WAN socket on router.
    then from the LAN router sockets back to your PC or via wireless to PC.

    power EVERYTHING OFF!! (disconnect mains)

    power CM let it settle
    power router let it settle
    power PC's

    you might need to enable all PC's to get IP automatically and enable DCHP on
    router

    a good site is here:

    http://www.ezlan.net/

    mike

    When using the USB connection I can connect to the
    > internet with the USB software but it does create another LAN connection

    in

    mikeFNB, Dec 27, 2004

  3. Parker

    Parker Guest

    Thank You MikeFNB. I really appreciate you response. That makes sense to
    me. I didn't think I needed the USB connection because I thought it would
    bypass the WAN and LAN connections. I also believe I may have had the wrong
    username and password listed in the router. I let you know how it went.
    Thanks Again.

    Parker, Dec 27, 2004
  4. Parker

    mikeFNB Guest

    urm.. just be carefull about changing username/password on router page
    that should not make any diff.
    it is only there to protect the config not anything to do with isp
    connections etc.

    mike

    mikeFNB, Dec 27, 2004
  5. Most cable modems are configured by the ISP to only assign a single IP
    address. Thus, you can connect a single computer to either the USB or
    ethernet port. You should not simultaneously connect a computer (or router)
    to both the USB and ethernet port (one will not work). If your ISP allows
    for more than one IP address, you should connect everything to the ethernet
    port.

    The usual reason for getting a router is to take the single ISP-assigned IP
    address and share it among multiple computers (there are also some benefits
    from a security point of view). Thus, the router is connected directly to
    the cable modem.

    If your cable modem has already issued the single ISP-assigned IP address to
    one of your computers, you may have to turn the modem off and on again to
    allow it to assign that address to the router. Connect to your router and
    check if it has been assigned an IP address (and gateway and DNS servers).
    Normally, this should have been done with DHCP, which should be the default
    setting. Your ISP may be different, so configure your router according to
    the instructions for connecting your computer to the modem by ethernet.

    In some cases, the cable modem may be configured to only assign an IP
    address to a computer with a particular ethernet hardware address. If this
    is the case, use your router's MAC address cloning and enter the hardware
    address of your computer. You can find this address using the command
    "ipconfig /all" in a command prompt and looking for the "Physical Address"
    field.

    If your computer is properly connected to the router, the command "ipconfig
    /all" should show an address like 192.168.0.100 and the same DNS servers as
    the router. The default gateway should be the IP address of the router
    (probably 192.168.0.1).

    -Yves

    Yves Konigshofer, Dec 27, 2004
  6. Parker

    Parker Guest

    Thank you Yves. I will get back to all of you as soon as I try these
    suggestions.
    Thank You Again

    Parker, Dec 28, 2004
  7. what you can do is buy a U.S.B. hub, and hook up the cable modem, and each
    computer by their u.s.b. slot. Although it will probably only run 12 mbs
    which is slower than rj-45 it will still be fast ebough for your internet.
    So in the end your internet will be u.s.b, and if you want to you can hook up
    all your computers together with ethernet, to us a print server or another rj
    device.
    Or another way is to buy a linksys cable modem, and give your internet
    provider the MAC address located on the bottom of it to "activate" it. Then
    hook up all your computers via rj-45.

    -Brian

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4=?=, Dec 29, 2004
  8. Parker

    Parker Guest

    Thank You All for the suggestions. We do now have joy! I followed all of
    the ideas and last night I got it hooked up with no problems. I treated it
    as though it was the first time the internet was getting hooked up. All
    went great and the other PC found the access point and went right on line.

    Thanks Once Again to All

    Parker, Dec 29, 2004