    option is greyed out, it appears that the option for 'never using a dial up
    connection' has already been selected.

    Any help is much appreciated - Eos

    =?Utf-8?B?RW9z?=, Feb 11, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RW9z?=

    Mungo Bulge Guest

    Hi Eos

    This may be nit picking, however with Win98 SE, there is usually a
    need to follow the manufacturer's installation process exactly to the
    letter. What you did, and what you say you did may be in conflict. You
    said "At the moment I have connected the network adaptor and Installed
    the software in the normal manner." Now if you actually did it in that
    order, things may not work correctly. I have found that in most cases,
    you need to install the software first, then connect the hardware, as
    stated in your manual. Maybe you did, maybe you didn't but it's just
    not clear to me.
    Second thought may also be obvious to you, but not to me, is whether
    or not you have had any other USB devices working on your Win98 SE
    box. If this is the first, the USB port may not be active, mine
    wasn't.
    Third, and also not obvious to me, but sometimes is the complete
    opposite of my second inquiry. If you are accessing your USB through a
    USB hub or with another USB devices attached to your Win98 SE box, you
    may want to remove all other devices and connect solo. Again I have
    had troubles with Win98 SE and multiple devices, especially with USB
    hubs.
    Third, if the adapter is not associating with your gateway, try
    removing encryption from the gateway to see if you can associate with
    it and go from there. Sort of walk first then run scenario.
    Fourth, but should be done first actually, is check in the Device
    Manager and see how much current the adapter is drawing or for that
    matter if the device is in fact correctly installed. You will find the
    Wireless-G USB Network Adapter if it is installed successfully. If
    not, disconnect the Adapter and uninstall the driver software from
    your PC. Then restart your PC and repeat the software and hardware
    installation specified in your User Guide.

    "Eos" <> wrote in message
    | I have recently purchased a Wireless-G ADSL Gateway (WAG54G) and two
    USB
    | Network adaptors (WUSB54G-UK).
    | Whilst I have been able to connect a second PC which is running on
    Windows
    | XP, I am having extreme difficulty in setting up a third PC which is
    running
    | on Windows 98 (second edition).
    | All I really require is that this PC is connected to allow internet
    access
    | which is on ADSL Broadband.
    | At the moment I have connected the network adaptor and Installed the
    | software in the normal manner.
    | However when I open the program via the taskbar Icon the message
    states that
    | WUSB54 is inactive 'no association with access point' and the Link
    LED on the

    Mungo Bulge, Feb 11, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RW9z?=

    nospam Guest

    I have the same environment: WAG54G on WinXp and WUSB54G on Win98SE.
    I have this working - although it can still be a bit flaky with 'no
    association with access point' problems, and also difficulties accessing
    some web pages. My current set up seems to be working reasonably well.

    1. Check for a firmware upgrades here:-
    WAG54G http://www.linksys.com/international/firmware.asp?intfwid=32&coid=6
    WUSB54G: http://www.linksys.com/international/driver.asp?coid=6&intdlid=26

    2. Get a wired connection working initially, with firewalls and
    encryption turned off and SSID turned on. The current view seems to be
    that hiding SSID does not add to the security, and may make connection
    and fault diagnosis more difficult.

    This is just to try the simplest connection case. If it works ok then
    turn on encryption, and then gradually turn on firewall rules.

    3. Try the wireless connection.

    If you hit problems then these links are useful:-
    http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/entry.php
    http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/ --some very handy suggestions for
    registry changes in here - check out drtcp.exe
    http://www.ezlan.net/
    http://www.2kevin.net/router.html
    http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm

    Hope this helps