    I look on ebay for a linksys 802.11g wireless router's and find lots of used
    ones which makes me wonder if they are really alright or is there something
    out there that is better than the linksys.

    =?Utf-8?B?QnVkIFo=?=, Dec 16, 2006

  2. Hi
    The USA id a consumer orineted society people buy new hardware even if the
    old still works, Some then sell it on eBay.
    However there are New Inexpensive good Routers.
    Currently, a very popular one is this,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162173
    Jack (MVP-Networking).
    Disclaimer: I have No connection with any of the Hardware manafacturer, or
    and, the vendors that I mentioned above.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 16, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QnVkIFo=?=

    Randy Guest

    I have a linksys 802.11g and have not had any problems. In the U.S. they
    sell for $49 on sell and the 802.11gs is $69 that is a bit faster if you
    have more then two computers on the router.

    Just my thoughts
    Randy

    Randy, Dec 17, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QnVkIFo=?=

    Bubba Guest

    Actually you want to buy a used WRT54G <= ver4. Starting w/ ver 5 these
    have 1/2 as much memory and use propietary Linksys software instead of the
    Linux used up to ver4.

    More info at Linksysinfo.org.

    Bubba

    Bubba, Dec 17, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QnVkIFo=?=

    Danny Kile Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > The USA id a consumer orineted society people buy new hardware even if the
    > old still works, Some then sell it on eBay.
    > However there are New Inexpensive good Routers.
    > Currently, a very popular one is this,
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162173
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > Disclaimer: I have No connection with any of the Hardware manafacturer, or
    > and, the vendors that I mentioned above.
    >
    > "Bud Z" <> wrote in message
    >> I need a new router and my son tell's me he has had linksys routers and has
    >> had no problem with them.
    >> I look on ebay for a linksys 802.11g wireless router's and find lots of
    >> used
    >> ones which makes me wonder if they are really alright or is there
    >> something
    >> out there that is better than the linksys.

    I got the above router from Newegg as Jack mentioned above, for the
    Total price of $39.99 with free shipping. I then use it for one day with
    the original router SO software which was great. However, I bought the
    router to re-flash it, so on day two I re-flashed the router with
    DD-WRT.COM third party router Software and the is great,
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/ddwrt.php .

    --
    Danny Kile
    Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY

    "Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
    you." Mary Bly

    Danny Kile, Dec 17, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QnVkIFo=?=

    Sean Massey Guest

    Bud Z wrote:
    > I need a new router and my son tell's me he has had linksys routers and has
    > had no problem with them.
    > I look on ebay for a linksys 802.11g wireless router's and find lots of used
    > ones which makes me wonder if they are really alright or is there something
    > out there that is better than the linksys.

    That's because the WRT-54G has been out for a while. The router is on
    it's 7th version, not counting special versions like the Speedbooster
    and L variants.

    I would recommend searching New Egg for the WRT-54GL. It retails new
    for 60-some dollars and retains the functionality of the pre-v.4 versions.

    Sean Massey, Dec 18, 2006