Linksys 802.11 a+g Router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?YnJlbnRyb21lcm8=?=, Oct 28, 2005.

  1. Configuration:
    (CAT5
    wired)
    modem -> Linksys WRT54GS router -> Linksys PAP2 Phone Adapter
    | (wireless) | -> Sony Vaio Laptop
    | (G-channel) |
    V V
    Gateway MCE --> Linksys MCX <-|
    | (MCE ->CAT5-> MCX) |
    | |
    Linksys WPM55A+G NIC ----> A Channel ->|

    I've been struggling for weeks to get my Linksys MCX to communicate with my
    Gateway MCE 2005 using the 5 GHz channel of my Linksys A + G router NIC.
    I've closely followed the Wireless Zero setup and it operates flawlessly for
    the modem connection using the 2.4 GHz channel but I still cannot turn on the
    A channel.

    I can also get the MCX to connect to the MCE using CAT5 to the router & CAT5
    to the MCE.

    Am I missing something in the esoterica of wireless networking? Does the A
    + G NIC output only one freq at a time? I have all the components in one
    room for now trying every different possibility. Should I have gotten an
    external A+G wireless router vs the internal NIC?

    Thanks in advance....
    --
    brentromero

    =?Utf-8?B?YnJlbnRyb21lcm8=?=, Oct 28, 2005

  2. brentromero,

    As far as I know the transmitter and receiver must be on the same frequency
    to communicate.

    "A" cannot talk to "G" and "G" cannot talk to "A" (diff freqs).

    A single radio can only be set to TX and RX on one frequency at a time.

    Put them all on G or all on A

    My two cents.

    Bryan

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJ5YW4=?=, Oct 31, 2005