    --
    Kenny Cargill

    "Cigarettes are killers that travel in packs."
    Kenny, Mar 25, 2006

  2. Kenny

    Fred Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > I know how to post a clickable link to a particular ng like
    > but how do I post a link to a particular post or thread in a ng?

    If the recipient is subscribed to the news-server then the Message ID can be
    given in this form.
    Fred, Mar 25, 2006

  3. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Thanks for the reply, found it under Properties/Details for the message.

    Kenny, Mar 25, 2006
  4. Kenny

    Kenny, Mar 25, 2006
  5. Kenny

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-03-25, Kenny <> wrote:
    > I know how to post a clickable link to a particular ng like
    > but how do I post a link to a particular post or thread in a ng?

    The most reliable way is probably to find the article in 'Google Groups' and
    post the URL for the 'Show Original' page: for example
    <http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/msg/380165da49e5c8d0
    ?dmode=source&hl=en> or <http://qurl.net/uh>.

    For a thread,
    <http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_frm/thread/58
    7b1f7b598d9300/380165da49e5c8d0?tvc=1&q=group%3A24hoursupport.helpdesk+auth
    or%3Akenny&hl=en#380165da49e5c8d0> or <http://shorterlink.com/?37CHTL>.

    The nearest thing to an 'official' way to make a URL for a particular
    newsgroup article is set out here
    <http://gbiv.com/protocols/uri/drafts/draft-gilman-news-url-01.txt>.

    You can quote the unique Message-ID like this
    <news:44253e37$0$20104$> but that only
    works if the person 'clicking' on it has a news-server connection running
    and the article concerned is actually present on that news-server. Not
    everyone has a news-server account, and no server carries all articles or
    all newsgroups. (It is possible to read and post to newsgroups without
    having either a news-reader program or an account with a news-server).

    Or you can specify a free-to-read-from no-registration-required public
    news-server where the article is (or was, or might be - articles aren't
    necessarily kept forever), eg
    <news://news.opera.com/> but
    that still requires the person trying to follow the link to have a program
    installed that can follow a news:// URL; not everyone does (although many
    web-browsers can manage it).

    You can find out about public news-servers here, among other places
    <http://dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/Public_News_Servers/>.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 25, 2006