    so I am assuming the problem is on her end of the line. What can I suggest

    that she do so that her email will go out to other people with real links

    to the internet?
    justintime, Jan 2, 2006

  2. justintime

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 13:35:24 -0500, "justintime" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a friend who sends me email asking me to click on things that are
    >
    >supposed to be links to the internet. There are no links, in her
    >
    >email--just text. I don't have any trouble with email from other people,
    >
    >so I am assuming the problem is on her end of the line. What can I suggest
    >
    >that she do so that her email will go out to other people with real links
    >
    >to the internet?

    How is she sending it?

    Just "click here http://www.webpage.com ?" is she omitting the http?
    What e-mail client are you using? What e-mail client is she using?
    Evan Platt, Jan 2, 2006

  3. justintime

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Nzeuf.3$%>, justintime <> wrote:

    > I have a friend who sends me email asking me to click on things that are
    >
    > supposed to be links to the internet. There are no links, in her
    >
    > email--just text. I don't have any trouble with email from other people,
    >
    > so I am assuming the problem is on her end of the line. What can I suggest
    >
    > that she do so that her email will go out to other people with real links
    >
    > to the internet?

    Not sure what you are seeing -- a link IS only text, nothing more.

    Are you saying it shows, but it isn't displayed with the normal link
    color?
    Mitch, Jan 2, 2006
  4. justintime

    justintime Guest

    No color--just black text. I know a link when I see one, and there are no
    links in her letters.

    justintime, Jan 2, 2006
  5. justintime

    justintime Guest

    I don't know how she is sending it, but here are three examples from her
    email. Of course with the http address I was able to go online and see what
    she was supposedly sending. In example 2 as I write, there is no color. It
    may change into a link when I post to 24hourhelp.

    Example 1. " Have your sound on, if you so choose, but this is the most
    powerful message I think I have read in a long time."
    Click here: He Is God

    Example 2. Click here: New Year Wishes
    or
    http://llerrah.com/newyearwishes.htm

    Example 3. HEY ... HOPE THIS OPENS THIS TIME.

    Merry Christmas Everyone and enjoy this.

    Click here: Hand Bells

    justintime, Jan 3, 2006
  6. justintime

    justintime Guest

    >Are you saying it (the link) shows, but it isn't displayed with the normal
    >link color?

    She rarely even has the wording of a link, and when she has a "link" it has
    no color. She just says, "Click here, and then words like Happy New Year, or
    Click here: He is God, or Click here: Hand Bells. No links. No addresses.
    These things are always forwarded--and maybe Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw:

    justintime, Jan 3, 2006
  7. justintime

    Mike Easter Guest

    justintime wrote:

    > I have a friend who sends me email asking me to click on things that

    are supposed to be links to the internet. There are no links, in her
    email--just text.

    Whenever you are trying to explain/ask a question -- start with the
    premise that anyone who you are 'talking to' isn't looking at the same
    thing you are looking at -- and also that you don't fully understand
    what you are seeing. So, the idea behind the question is to get the
    kind of answer you would get if the other person/s you are asking could
    see what you are seeing and thus understand it better than what you
    aren't understanding.

    That means you have to be able to give a really good description of what
    you are seeing. You haven't done that yet.

    > I don't have any trouble with email from other people, so I am

    assuming the problem is on her end of the line. What can I suggest that
    she do so that her email will go out to other people with real links to
    the internet?

    Notice how the second part of your question didn't bring us any closer
    to seeing what you are seeing.

    Your question takes on the conditions, "I'm looking at something, but I
    don't understand it. What is it? Why doesn't it work? What can I do
    to make it work?"

    That isn't how to go about asking.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 3, 2006
  8. justintime

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 19:23:47 -0500, "justintime" <>
    wrote:

    >I don't know how she is sending it, but here are three examples from her
    >email. Of course with the http address I was able to go online and see what
    >she was supposedly sending. In example 2 as I write, there is no color. It
    >may change into a link when I post to 24hourhelp.

    Ok, so if she e-mails you with "Check this out:
    http://www.example.com", it's up to YOUR e-mail client to turn that
    into a clickable link.

    If she e-mails you with "Check out this page" and "this page" is
    supposed to be a link, and it's not, I'd need to know what e-mail
    client you use, what e-mail client she uses, and how she is making
    "this page" into a link to know why it's not working.
    Evan Platt, Jan 3, 2006
  9. justintime

    justintime Guest

    Mike--Thanks for the tips about asking questions. You are exactly right
    about being very specific. I did give these examples of my friend's writing,
    in one of my posts. I will give the examples from my friend again:

    1. " Have your sound on, if you so choose, but this is the most
    powerful message I think I have read in a long time."
    Click here: He Is God

    2. "Click here: New Year Wishes
    or
    http://llerrah.com/newyearwishes.htm" (This came to me as text only. No
    color.)

    3. "HEY ... HOPE THIS OPENS THIS TIME.

    Merry Christmas Everyone and enjoy this.

    Click here: Hand Bells"

    Only once did she send anything that I could work with. it was the
    http://11errah.com/neyearwishes.htm (above) and that wasn't a blue link in
    my email. It was just text and I had to copy, paste into my address bar on
    Internet Explorer. It turned into a link when I wrote it in THIS email.

    justintime, Jan 3, 2006
  10. justintime

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-01-03, justintime <> wrote:
    > I don't know how she is sending it, but here are three examples from her
    > email. Of course with the http address I was able to go online and see what
    > she was supposedly sending. In example 2 as I write, there is no color. It
    > may change into a link when I post to 24hourhelp.
    >
    > Example 1. " Have your sound on, if you so choose, but this is the most
    > powerful message I think I have read in a long time."
    > Click here: He Is God
    >
    > Example 2. Click here: New Year Wishes
    > or
    > http://llerrah.com/newyearwishes.htm
    >
    > Example 3. HEY ... HOPE THIS OPENS THIS TIME.
    >

    > Merry Christmas Everyone and enjoy this.
    >
    > Click here: Hand Bells

    I'm guessing that either

    (1) your friend is using HTML (or "Rich Text") to do fancy clever
    formatting of her e-mails so that 'links' can be hidden behind some
    part of the message, but you are reading in "plain text" so the HTML
    cleverness is de-activated for you.

    or

    (2) your friend is using "plain text" to forward messages to you that
    she has received from someone else who used HTML, but she is not using
    HTML to compose her messages to you.

    The proper way to give someone a link in an e-mail message is to type it
    out as part of the message itself, like this
    <http://llerrah.com/newyearwishes.htm> - or use copy/paste to copy it from
    the address bar in your browser. There is no need to use HTML or "Rich
    Text" for this, and as a general rule HTML is a Bad Thing in e-mails.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 3, 2006
  11. justintime

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-01-03, justintime <> wrote:

    snip

    > She rarely even has the wording of a link, and when she has a "link" it has
    > no color. She just says, "Click here, and then words like Happy New Year, or
    > He is God, or Click here: Hand Bells. No links. No addresses. These things
    > are always forwarded--and maybe Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw:

    That is one way that "viruses" and other nasties get spread around the
    internet. It also gives spammers a lovely list of valid active e-mail
    addresses that can be added to a list so that you get loads more spam (or
    your e-mail service has to do a lot more filtering to protect you from
    it). "Forwarding" e-mails from strangers is a Very Bad Idea.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 3, 2006
  12. justintime

    Mitch Guest

    In article <vCjuf.350$%>, justintime <>
    wrote:

    > She rarely even has the wording of a link, and when she has a "link" it has
    > no color. She just says, "Click here, and then words like Happy New Year, or
    > He is God, or Click here: Hand Bells. No links. No addresses. These things
    > are always forwarded--and maybe Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw:

    Okay; what seems to be happening is that one of the people along the
    line of forwarded messages is sending only plain text, as ALL USERS
    should.
    Hint: make sure everyone sets their mail programs to text only, and no
    one would have this problem.

    So what was an HTML message with a link in it somewhere along the line
    was converted to the HTML info, preserving the URL but not showing it
    as a link.
    Hint: you can still use it, it just doesn't show in blue. It's still
    the address for whatever page!

    All you need to do is whatever your particular OS requires to open a
    link. Under Mac OS, command-click the URL. Under current Windows
    versions, I think you can right-click and choose Open URL.
    Hint: at the very worst, copy it and paste it. Always works, one of
    those functions you are supposed to think of right away.
    Mitch, Jan 4, 2006
  13. justintime

    Mitch Guest

    In article <qujuf.340$%>, justintime <>
    wrote:

    > In example 2 as I write, there is no color. It
    > may change into a link when I post to 24hourhelp.

    Right -- because it IS a link as you wrote it.
    There is nothing more needed to make it a link.

    And it properly shows up, in my newsreader, in blue -- because at my
    end, the program knows how to recognize it.
    If you did something different, it might not show up in blue, but it
    would still be a usable address! -- and that's the point.

    Even though it doesn't appear EXACTLY as it did in the first message,
    before everyone forwarded the damn thing, it is still usable.

    And as someone else said, you'd still be a fool to click on it,
    especially with this WMF risk floating around so much.
    Mitch, Jan 4, 2006