    like, but uninstalling it has caused an unintended consequence.

    I think I need to reinstall IE to recover from the problem, but I do not
    want IE7 and I can't get IE6. Can I?

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 7, 2008

  2. Jeff Strickland

    sandy58 Guest

    On Apr 7, 12:32 am, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > I use XP Home and OE6 for my news client. I have recently found that links
    > in news messages are cold. The cursor changes to a finger as it flies over a
    > link, but there is no response to any link when it is clicked.
    >
    > I just checked, and URLs in a regular e-mail are cold too. I get a response
    > to mailto: links (a new message is opened and addressed to the mailto:), but
    > links to a url --www.microsoft.com, for example are cold. I have to copy
    > the URL and paste it into the browser address bar.
    >
    > I think I started this problem when I removed the browser that iTunes is
    > giving away. I tried the iTunes browser for a couple of days and decided I
    > did not like it. Upon uninstalling it and setting IE back to the Default
    > Browser, I notice that IE does not launch when a link is clicked.
    >
    > My guess is that the iTunes browser used a common DLL, then uninstalled the
    > DLL when it was removed.
    >
    > The iTunes browser is called Safari. I don't recall what I decided I don't
    > like, but uninstalling it has caused an unintended consequence.
    >
    > I think I need to reinstall IE to recover from the problem, but I do not
    > want IE7 and I can't get IE6. Can I?

    Cold? You mean DEAD?

    sandy58, Apr 7, 2008

  3. "sandy58" <> wrote in message

    > Cold? You mean DEAD?

    Yes. Links work or do not work. When they work they are hot or live, when
    they do not work they are cold or dead.

    I'm not really looking to define a dead link or a live one, I'm trying to
    get the links working again.

    The links work if I copy and paste them, but not when I click them within an
    e-mail or news message.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 7, 2008
  4. Jeff Strickland

    sandy58 Guest

    On Apr 7, 5:12 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "sandy58" <> wrote in message

    > > Cold? You mean DEAD?

    > Yes. Links work or do not work. When they work they are hot or live, when
    > they do not work they are cold or dead.
    >
    > I'm not really looking to define a dead link or a live one, I'm trying to
    > get the links working again.
    >
    > The links work if I copy and paste them, but not when I click them within an
    > e-mail or news message.

    I take it that they (links in e-mail or message) are underlined? Sent
    like that?

    sandy58, Apr 7, 2008
  5. "sandy58" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 7, 5:12 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >> "sandy58" <> wrote in message

    >> > Cold? You mean DEAD?

    >> Yes. Links work or do not work. When they work they are hot or live, when
    >> they do not work they are cold or dead.
    >>
    >> I'm not really looking to define a dead link or a live one, I'm trying to
    >> get the links working again.
    >>
    >> The links work if I copy and paste them, but not when I click them within
    >> an
    >> e-mail or news message.

    > I take it that they (links in e-mail or message) are underlined? Sent
    > like that?

    Of course.

    The cursor knows they are links because it turns to a finger as it flies
    over.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 7, 2008
  6. "sandy58" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 7, 5:12 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >> "sandy58" <> wrote in message

    >> > Cold? You mean DEAD?

    >> Yes. Links work or do not work. When they work they are hot or live, when
    >> they do not work they are cold or dead.
    >>
    >> I'm not really looking to define a dead link or a live one, I'm trying to
    >> get the links working again.
    >>
    >> The links work if I copy and paste them, but not when I click them within
    >> an
    >> e-mail or news message.

    > I take it that they (links in e-mail or message) are underlined? Sent
    > like that?

    Links to launch e-mail work fine -- I have a message with a link to an
    e-mail account and that link works properly by launching my mail client --
    but links to websites do not work because they do not launch my browser.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 7, 2008