Linking CD ROM To Soundcard

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Representative Trantis, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. I only have one slot on my soundcard, yet I have two drives. Is there any
    way I can link the two to the one socket?

    Representative Trantis, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Representative Trantis

    Alex Devlin Guest

    On 29 Feb 2004, Representative Trantis wrote:

    > I only have one slot on my soundcard, yet I have two drives. Is there any
    > way I can link the two to the one socket?

    Is there a reason why you can't use the same drive to listen to CD's all
    the time? Just curious.

    To hook them both up together you can splice one into the others wires. As
    long as it's just audio out then you should have no problems.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    Good friends will bail you out of jail...
    ... True friends will be sitting there with you saying "Damn. That was
    fun!"

    Alex Devlin, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Representative Trantis

    Pepperoni Guest

    Ask at your supplier for a "CD audio 'Y' Cable".

    Pepperoni, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Representative Trantis

    Todd Howard Guest

    Why bother hooking either up? Do you plan on using the headphone jack on the
    CD Rom?, because other then that, there is no need to do it....everything in
    handled digitally now....no need for that audio cable anymore...
    TH

    Todd Howard, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Representative Trantis

    Basket Case Guest

    "Todd Howard" <> wrote in message
    > Why bother hooking either up? Do you plan on using the headphone jack on

    the
    > CD Rom?, because other then that, there is no need to do it....everything

    in
    > handled digitally now....no need for that audio cable anymore...
    > TH
    > "Pepperoni" <> wrote in message
    > > Ask at your supplier for a "CD audio 'Y' Cable".
    > >
    > > "Representative Trantis" <> wrote in message
    > > > I only have one slot on my soundcard, yet I have two drives. Is there

    > any
    > > > way I can link the two to the one socket?

    Maybe he's like me and prefers the analog cable for better quality.

    -BC

    Basket Case, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Representative Trantis

    Todd Howard Guest

    Better Quality? Hmmm....I guess I should put my 5.1 Dolby Digital back onto
    Analog.... ;)
    (I know what you mean, I am kidding)
    TH

    Todd Howard, Feb 29, 2004
  7. Representative Trantis

    > Better Quality? Hmmm....I guess I should put my 5.1 Dolby Digital back

    onto
    > Analog.... ;)
    > (I know what you mean, I am kidding)
    > TH
    > "Basket Case" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Todd Howard" <> wrote in message
    > > > Why bother hooking either up? Do you plan on using the headphone jack

    on
    > > the
    > > > CD Rom?, because other then that, there is no need to do

    > it....everything
    > > in
    > > > handled digitally now....no need for that audio cable anymore...
    > > > TH
    > > > "Pepperoni" <> wrote in message

    > there
    > > > any
    > > > > >

    > > Maybe he's like me and prefers the analog cable for better quality.
    > >
    > > -BC

    LoL ... well the problem I have is when I start playing games like Horizons
    or SWG, my CD audio starts to skip if using WinXP's digital CD audio enabled
    for the drive. Disabling that and using the analog clears up the problem.

    -BC

    Basket Case, Feb 29, 2004
  8. Representative Trantis

    Todd Howard Guest

    Hmm sounds to me like that is an Audio Processor problem.....onboard sound
    by any chance?

    Todd Howard, Feb 29, 2004
  9. Representative Trantis

    > Hmm sounds to me like that is an Audio Processor problem.....onboard sound
    > by any chance?
    > TH
    > "Basket Case" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Todd Howard" <> wrote in message
    > > > Better Quality? Hmmm....I guess I should put my 5.1 Dolby Digital

    back
    > > onto
    > > > Analog.... ;)
    > > > (I know what you mean, I am kidding)
    > > > TH
    > > > "Basket Case" <> wrote in message

    > jack
    > > on
    > > > it....everything

    Is
    > > > there

    > > LoL ... well the problem I have is when I start playing games like

    > Horizons
    > > or SWG, my CD audio starts to skip if using WinXP's digital CD audio

    > enabled
    > > for the drive. Disabling that and using the analog clears up the

    problem.

    > > -BC

    Nope ... SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum

    -BC

    Basket Case, Feb 29, 2004
  10. Representative Trantis

    Todd Howard Guest

    > "Todd Howard" <> wrote in message
    > > Hmm sounds to me like that is an Audio Processor problem.....onboard

    sound
    > > by any chance?
    > > TH
    > > "Basket Case" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Todd Howard" <> wrote in message

    > back
    > > > onto

    > > jack
    > > > on

    > Is

    quality.

    > > > LoL ... well the problem I have is when I start playing games like

    > > Horizons
    > > > or SWG, my CD audio starts to skip if using WinXP's digital CD audio

    > > enabled
    > > > for the drive. Disabling that and using the analog clears up the

    > problem.
    > > >
    > > > -BC
    > > >

    > Nope ... SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    >
    > -BC

    You know as odd as it sounds...I had a hell of a time with my A2 with my
    Yamaha Tss-1 speakers....it was pure hell. I ended up yanking the A2 and
    using the Soundstorm onboard on my Asus A7N8X Dlx instead....havent looked
    back since...my issue was different then yours though...depending on the app
    I had to turn this on, turn this off all the time....it sucked....
    But seriously, if you have reasonably good onboard, give it a go.....it
    might be the A2.....I know I wasnt impressed with mine....
    Cheers....
    Todd

    Todd Howard, Feb 29, 2004
  11. Representative Trantis

    Thor Guest

    > "Todd Howard" <> wrote in message
    > > Hmm sounds to me like that is an Audio Processor problem.....onboard

    sound
    > > by any chance?
    > > TH
    > > "Basket Case" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Todd Howard" <> wrote in message

    > back
    > > > onto

    > > jack
    > > > on

    > Is

    quality.

    > > > LoL ... well the problem I have is when I start playing games like

    > > Horizons
    > > > or SWG, my CD audio starts to skip if using WinXP's digital CD audio

    > > enabled
    > > > for the drive. Disabling that and using the analog clears up the

    > problem.
    > > >
    > > > -BC
    > > >

    > Nope ... SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum

    Could also be a result of not having the drive running in DMA mode. Without
    DMA mode, CPU usage is much higher for CD data transfers over the IDE bus.
    Since using the analog output requires no significant data transfers over
    the bus, but DA does, this could be an issue. Check your DMA checkbox
    setting in the CDROM settings in the device manager if using Win9x, or check
    the DMA settings of the IDE controllers if using Win2K, or XP, and make sure
    it's set to "DMA if available".

    Thor, Mar 1, 2004
  12. Representative Trantis

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Todd Howard" <> wrote in

    > using the Soundstorm onboard on my Asus A7N8X Dlx instead....havent
    > looked back since...my issue was different then yours
    > though...depending on the app I had to turn this on, turn this off all
    > the time....it sucked....

    The A7N8X-Deluxe with nvidia SoundStorm is actually almost as good a
    soundcard as a Creative Audigy 2 Platinum according to the "benchmarks" I
    read about it. And if you buy the Asus instead of the Creative you get the
    sound card with a free motherboard :)

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Mar 1, 2004
  13. Representative Trantis

    Basket Case Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Basket Case" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Todd Howard" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hmm sounds to me like that is an Audio Processor problem.....onboard

    > sound
    > > > by any chance?
    > > > TH
    > > > "Basket Case" <> wrote in message

    > > back

    headphone
    > > > jack

    anymore...

    drives.
    > > Is

    > quality.

    > > > Horizons
    > > > enabled

    > > problem.

    > > Nope ... SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum

    > Could also be a result of not having the drive running in DMA mode.

    Without
    > DMA mode, CPU usage is much higher for CD data transfers over the IDE bus.
    > Since using the analog output requires no significant data transfers over
    > the bus, but DA does, this could be an issue. Check your DMA checkbox
    > setting in the CDROM settings in the device manager if using Win9x, or

    check
    > the DMA settings of the IDE controllers if using Win2K, or XP, and make

    sure
    > it's set to "DMA if available".

    Good thinking, but I had already turned on DMA for smoother DVD playback.

    -BC

    Basket Case, Mar 1, 2004