    .... how do I link it to my free web space allocated by my ISP (this has a
    totally different www.title...)?? so that when I click www.mydomain it goes
    to it...???
    ADVID, Mar 30, 2009

  2. ADVID wrote:

    > ...I've just 'purchased a domain name from www.123-reg.co.uk ..
    >
    > ... how do I link it to my free web space allocated by my ISP (this
    > has a totally different www.title...)?? so that when I click
    > www.mydomain it goes to it...???

    You log into your account at 123-reg and find the place where you set up
    nameservers and redirects. You should have two choices for (ISP-based?)
    web site. There will be a place on their pages giving you these choices.

    1. Framed/Stealth redirect, where visitor only ever sees your domain
    name in location bar. Note this is not user-friendly because visitors
    can't bookmark individual pages. (Of course, if you have nothing
    important to say, it doesn't matter.)

    2. Simple redirect to: http://your-isp.co.uk/your-user-name/index.html
    From that point on, visitor sees your ISP's name in the location bar,
    including each individual page they visit at your site.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 30, 2009

  3. ADVID

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:33:15 -0400, richard wrote:

    >On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:10:09 +0100, "ADVID" <> wrote:
    >
    >>...I've just 'purchased a domain name from www.123-reg.co.uk ..
    >>
    >>... how do I link it to my free web space allocated by my ISP (this has a
    >>totally different www.title...)?? so that when I click www.mydomain it goes
    >>to it...???
    >>

    >That's known as a redirect.
    >But why do you want to redirect to your old ISP site when the purpose
    >of your own domain name is to get away from them?
    >Just transfer your files to the new site.

    Except if it's only a domain name OP says he bought and not any new
    hosting. But as OP didn't say it's only a guess.

    Me
    why?, Mar 30, 2009
  4. richard wrote:

    > "ADVID" <> wrote:
    >> ...I've just 'purchased a domain name
    >>... link it to my free web space allocated by my ISP

    > But why do you want to redirect to your old ISP site when the purpose
    > of your own domain name is to get away from them?

    Not necessarily. Many people use free ISP web space and purchase a
    domain name to redirect to it. I explained earlier the two methods for
    doing this .. what the OP actually asked.

    > Just transfer your files to the new site.

    A domain name is not a site. He did not say he purchased web hosting.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 30, 2009