    connection.

    Please help as its driving me nuts - basically I need an idiots guide to
    setting up the WEP in XPSP2

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3JhbmRhZA==?=, Apr 11, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Z3JhbmRhZA==?=

    Malke Guest

    grandad wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I can link to my Apple OSX wireless Airport p2p network if I leave it
    > unsecured - but as soon as I set the Apple up as WEP - with a
    > recommended 5 letter ascii password such as 'apple' I can't connect.
    >
    > Its Panther so I only have WEP - and I am simply sharing an internet
    > connection.
    >
    > Please help as its driving me nuts - basically I need an idiots guide
    > to setting up the WEP in XPSP2

    Normally you don't enter a password to connect to a wireless network;
    you enter the encryption key which will be more than 5 letters. I
    suspect this is your problem. The WEP key (either 64 or 128-bit) should
    be available to view on your router. Copy it down and enter it into the
    connection settings on your XP machine.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Apr 11, 2006

  3. Hi

    I don't have a router - just an Airport card on a Mac, and I'm sharing that
    internet connection with my XPSP2 laptop - apparently 5 character ascii
    passwords are converted into the same hex - so I should be able to enter
    "apple" on the Mac (40-bit) and "apple" on the XPSP2 - or are you saying I
    should enter the hex code of "apple" into XP - I did try that and it didn't
    work.

    Somewhere else I noted that you need to type in 0x in fornt - is it case
    sensitive?

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3JhbmRhZA==?=, Apr 11, 2006
  4. Also - on the Mac it says WEP is 40-bits (not 64)

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3JhbmRhZA==?=, Apr 11, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Z3JhbmRhZA==?=

    Malke Guest

    grandad wrote:

    > Also - on the Mac it says WEP is 40-bits (not 64)
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> grandad wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > I can link to my Apple OSX wireless Airport p2p network if I leave
    >> > it unsecured - but as soon as I set the Apple up as WEP - with a
    >> > recommended 5 letter ascii password such as 'apple' I can't
    >> > connect.
    >> >
    >> > Its Panther so I only have WEP - and I am simply sharing an
    >> > internet connection.
    >> >
    >> > Please help as its driving me nuts - basically I need an idiots
    >> > guide to setting up the WEP in XPSP2

    So, you don't have a wireless router? How could that be? You must have
    something that is providing the wireless signal to your Mac's Airport
    card. Look at your cable/dsl modem. Don't you have another device
    connected to it? Or do you have a combination cable/dsl/wireless router
    like the 2Wire?

    You need to either provide a better description of your network,
    including the make/model of your hardware (see paragraph above) or have
    a local professional come on-site and see what's really going on.

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 11, 2006
  6. Its just a p2p network with XP sharing the Mac USB Internet connection via
    Airport card

    Inet <--> Mac <--> XP

    The Mac and XP both have wireless and ther Mac uses a USB modem

    I am told by a Mac Guru that it can't be done with a password - I'm trying
    to get an explanation out of him - I AM a local professional.

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3JhbmRhZA==?=, Apr 11, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Z3JhbmRhZA==?=

    Malke Guest

    grandad wrote:

    > Its just a p2p network with XP sharing the Mac USB Internet connection
    > via Airport card
    >
    > Inet <--> Mac <--> XP
    >
    > The Mac and XP both have wireless and ther Mac uses a USB modem
    >
    > I am told by a Mac Guru that it can't be done with a password - I'm
    > trying to get an explanation out of him - I AM a local professional.

    Well, I'd definitely go with whatever the Mac guru tells you. I still
    don't understand what is providing the wireless signal unless it's some
    Mac thing I don't know about. Consider putting in a consumer-level
    wireless router and then you won't have any problems with sharing the
    Internet connection with either Macs, Windows, or other operating
    systems. I have a Linksys wireless router and can do Internet sharing
    of the cable connection with no problem - machines running various
    Windows operating systems, Linux, and I used to have an iMac (connected
    w/ethernet) too.

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 11, 2006
  8. The password for the apple wireless network for a p.c. is different from the
    one you set up with your macs.... the password is a 15 alphanumerical digit
    for windows xp...

    to find it go to the airport admin utility, press configure on the airport
    in question, then press password on the basestation page. it's the bottom
    "Hex Equivalent Password (WEP Key)" It's a very long 15 character code....

    =?Utf-8?B?c3RhZ2xlYXAwMw==?=, Apr 14, 2006