    Windows can only see files located on peripherals attached to the PC
    or shared over the network. I'd like to be able to "browse" to a file
    located on the internet. Is there some way to do that?

    JustMe, Feb 5, 2008

  2. JustMe wrote:

    > Having a problem linking to files located on the internet. It seems
    > Windows can only see files located on peripherals attached to the PC
    > or shared over the network. I'd like to be able to "browse" to a file
    > located on the internet. Is there some way to do that?

    You are posting from a U.S. Navy computer?

    Ask your commanding officer.

    That said, enter the file name's URL in your browser's location bar.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 5, 2008

  3. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    > JustMe wrote:
    >
    >> Having a problem linking to files located on the internet. It seems
    >> Windows can only see files located on peripherals attached to the PC
    >> or shared over the network. I'd like to be able to "browse" to a file
    >> located on the internet. Is there some way to do that?

    > You are posting from a U.S. Navy computer?

    Yes, we're allowed to do that as long as it is work related or off the
    clock.

    > Ask your commanding officer.

    Wadda putz!

    > That said, enter the file name's URL in your browser's location bar.

    No kidding, now why didn't I think of that? How ever do you think I got
    here?

    I was talking about in the Windows File Chooser.

    JustMe, Feb 5, 2008
  4. JustMe wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> JustMe wrote:
    >>> Having a problem linking to files located on the internet. It seems
    >>> Windows can only see files located on peripherals attached to the
    >>> PC or shared over the network. I'd like to be able to "browse" to a
    >>> file located on the internet. Is there some way to do that?

    >> You are posting from a U.S. Navy computer?

    > Yes, we're allowed to do that as long as it is work related or off
    > the clock.

    Very well. Carry on, seaman.

    >> Ask your commanding officer.

    > Wadda putz!

    If your C.O. is a putz, request a transfer!

    >> That said, enter the file name's URL in your browser's location bar.

    > No kidding, now why didn't I think of that? How ever do you think I
    > got here?

    I don't know for sure, but most likely you subscribed to this Usenet
    newsgroup with your news reading client:

    > I was talking about in the Windows File Chooser.

    Windows File Chooser? Did you mention that in your original post?

    What is it? Must be the name of an application as you wrote the words
    with all capital letters. Google produces
    "Results 1 - 10 of about 779 for "Windows File Chooser""
    but none use all capital letters.

    For example, near the bottom of this page,
    http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/systems/html/601/node4.html
    there are words that say, "This shows an Microsoft Windows File chooser"
    and they show a picture of the "Save [File] As:" dialog box. Is that the
    "chooser" you mean? If so, I have never seen it be able to access a file
    on the Web.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 5, 2008
  5. JustMe

    Guest

    JustMe <> wrote:

    >Having a problem linking to files located on the internet. It seems
    >Windows can only see files located on peripherals attached to the PC
    >or shared over the network. I'd like to be able to "browse" to a file
    >located on the internet. Is there some way to do that?

    Not sure what you mean. but this link
    http://www.exploseek.com/ will find music in open indexes (unsecured
    directories).

    --

    Oldie but a goodie
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNdFQF0LMu0

    , Feb 6, 2008
  6. JustMe

    Ben Myers Guest

    "JustMe" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Having a problem linking to files located on the internet. It seems
    > Windows can only see files located on peripherals attached to the PC
    > or shared over the network. I'd like to be able to "browse" to a file
    > located on the internet. Is there some way to do that?

    See if this is what you are after.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="file transfer protocol"

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Feb 6, 2008
  7. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    Naah... that's FTP. Looking for info on the Windows File Chooser and how to
    get around it's limitations. It's the window that opens up every time you
    try to point to a file in some windows application. It says File Chooser on
    the TitleBar.

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message

    JustMe, Feb 6, 2008
  8. JustMe wrote:

    > Naah... that's FTP. Looking for info on the Windows File Chooser and
    > how to get around it's limitations. It's the window that opens up
    > every time you try to point to a file in some windows application. It
    > says File Chooser on the TitleBar.

    Maybe it is an internal part of "some windows application."

    What is the application?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 6, 2008
  9. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    No, that's FTP Her's a picture of it:
    http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/43601/2000467516144150941_rs.jpg

    You can see it in action for your self. Go here:
    http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/

    Click on any of the Browse buttons and ChooseFile window opens. You can only
    browse to local devices and network shares. If I wanted to point to a file
    on the web, I can't. Want to know if anyone knows how to get around that
    limitation.

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message

    JustMe, Feb 6, 2008
  10. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    No, that's FTP looking for info on Windows ChooseFile feature.

    Here's a picture of it:
    http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/43601/2000467516144150941_rs.jpg

    You can see it in action by going here:
    http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/

    Click on "Browse"
    Choose File window opens
    You can only browse to local devices and network shares. You cannot point to
    anything on the web. I'm looking for a workaround.

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message

    JustMe, Feb 6, 2008
  11. JustMe

    G. Morgan Guest

    JustMe wrote:

    >No, that's FTP looking for info on Windows ChooseFile feature.
    >
    >Here's a picture of it:
    >http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/43601/2000467516144150941_rs.jpg
    >
    >You can see it in action by going here:
    >http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/
    >
    >Click on "Browse"
    >Choose File window opens
    >You can only browse to local devices and network shares. You cannot point to
    >anything on the web. I'm looking for a workaround.

    In the chooser dialog box you can put a file URL in "quotes". This will
    download the file first to your temp directory, then give you the option to
    re-upload. For instance, place this in the -File Name-

    "http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/images/logo.gif" <-- INCLUDE THE QUOTES!

    Hit "open"

    You'll get something like this in the web page form field:

    "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5\OXY7GLAZ\logo[1].gif"

    Hit "upload"

    Good to go!

    Thanks for your service to our country.

    --

    -G

    G. Morgan, Feb 6, 2008
  12. JustMe wrote:

    > No, that's FTP looking for info on Windows ChooseFile feature.
    >
    > Here's a picture of it:
    > http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/43601/2000467516144150941_rs.jpg

    That does not say "Windows File Chooser" ... <sigh>
    It is the standard Windows file Open/Choose/Delete/Save/etc dialog that
    has been in Windows versions since Bill G. was a kid. The title bar gets
    its text and buttons dependent on what you are doing. Just like when you
    save a file in an editor, using File > Save As... It's the same dialog.

    > You can see it in action by going here:
    > http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/

    ...says "File Upload" on my Win2K box.

    > Click on "Browse"
    > Choose File window opens
    > You can only browse to local devices and network shares. You cannot
    > point to anything on the web. I'm looking for a workaround.

    So what do you want to do? Load a file at webshots.com from some other
    Web source? You will have to download it to your computer first, then
    upload to webshots.

    The Windows dialog will not access anything on the web because your
    local devices are just that: local.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 6, 2008
  13. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > JustMe wrote:
    >
    >>No, that's FTP looking for info on Windows ChooseFile feature.
    >>
    >>Here's a picture of it:
    >>http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/43601/2000467516144150941_rs.jpg
    >>
    >>You can see it in action by going here:
    >>http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/
    >>
    >>Click on "Browse"
    >>Choose File window opens
    >>You can only browse to local devices and network shares. You cannot point
    >>anything on the web. I'm looking for a workaround.

    > In the chooser dialog box you can put a file URL in "quotes". This will
    > download the file first to your temp directory, then give you the option
    > re-upload. For instance, place this in the -File Name-
    >
    > "http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/images/logo.gif" <-- INCLUDE THE
    > QUOTES!
    >
    > Hit "open"
    >
    > You'll get something like this in the web page form field:
    >
    > "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    > Files\Content.IE5\OXY7GLAZ\logo[1].gif"
    >
    > Hit "upload"
    >
    > Good to go!
    >
    > Thanks for your service to our country.

    Thanks, you're welcome

    You also nailed it. I tried entering a URL but got errors. Never thought to
    enclose in quotes.

    Muchly appreciate your help. Thanks ever so much.

    JustMe, Feb 7, 2008
  14. JustMe

    G. Morgan Guest

    JustMe wrote:

    >You also nailed it. I tried entering a URL but got errors. Never thought to
    >enclose in quotes.
    >
    >Muchly appreciate your help. Thanks ever so much.

    No problem.. give 'em hell!

    --

    -G

    G. Morgan, Feb 7, 2008