Link Proof and PIX VPN tunnels

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by DWMCLEOD, Sep 3, 2006.

1. DWMCLEOD

DWMCLEOD

Hi,
    First, let me start by saying the search function doesn't seem to be working for me, and I AM newly registered here. I've done some google searches the last couple of months an end up here, so I thought I would register (thinking that would make the search function on the website work for me.).
    I recently became responsible for overseeing a "managed" network. It's currently a 2 location automotive dealership. The current setup is each location has a DSL connection and a T1 connection. The T1's are terminated on 1720 routers. The DSL are business class DSL. The main location has a Linkproof, and the remote location has a Linkproof Branch.
    Each location has a PIX 506e, that is maintaining a VPN tunnel between the two locations. I get conflicting stories from our vendor (a BIG 3 letter company - AD something.) It was sold to the owner with the understanding that if one connection went down, the Linkproof would roll the tunnel to the other connection. This has not proven to be the case.
    At the remote location, the 1720 was having some issues and would rebnoot itself for no apparent reason. This would take the T1 down. This also would take the VPN down.
    Calls to the vendor got the response that "oh, no, we can't load balance the VPN, it has to go out one or the other".
    So, here I sit today, at the main loaction, with a T1 down due to a backhoe, and can't seem to get my VPN up, even though both stores can get to the internet.
    To be clear, I don't need loadbalancing, just failover.
    Should the Linkproof/PIX's be able to keep my VPN up if one of my connections go down?
    Thank you in advance.
    Dennis

DWMCLEOD, Sep 3, 2006
    1. Advertising