Link Load Balancers vs BGP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Matt, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Wondering if any of you have any experience with ISP link load
    balancers such as F5 Link Controller, Radware LinkProof, or AstroCorp
    Powerlink.

    I currently have 2 ISPs (A 1.5 T1 from each, soon to go to 3mb)
    (Sprint & Nuvox) with 2 - 2621xm routers setup with BGP. We have a
    Class C from Arin that is advertised on both ISPs.

    When we set this up, the routers were able to handle full routes but
    within the last year, we had to setup only default routes since the
    routers could not handle the BGP load.

    I am an not Cisco engineer, but know enough about BGP to know that to
    truely get inbound and outbound load balancing, it is a very difficult
    process and is alot of trial and error and requires much expertise
    which we don't have. Also, most times we have had an issue with
    failure on one link, the failure is not "complete" (rather high
    latency on one network) and therefore the BGP does not really kick
    in. I have had to physically shut the router down that was connected
    to the ISP with latency to force it to switch over.

    I am considering using a load balancing appliance such as the ones
    above and removing the BGP setup. It seems that the features of an
    appliance are compelling. Even if I decided that I wanted to stay
    with BGP, I would need to get bigger routers and incurr significant
    consulting expense and that may cost even more than an appliance
    solution. I definatley don't want to continue on the BGP method and
    then still wish I had a balancing appliance.

    What are your thoughts. Thanks!!
    Matt, Jan 30, 2007