link dropping/lost ip address

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ronnie G, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. Ronnie G

    Ronnie G Guest

    I am on Road Runner running a win 2k prof with no router, just the cable
    modem. The IP is dynamicly assigned. The problem I am experiencing is that
    when I set the firewall to block all internet traffic and the computer goes
    on standby I loose my connection with roadrunner. Is it possible that the
    service needs to ping my system to keep the address active. Ipconfig looks
    something like this after the connection is broken:

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : (blank)
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.x.x.x (where the real ip is
    listed)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : (blank)

    Any ideas?
    Ron

    Ronnie G, Aug 3, 2004

  2. Ronnie G

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Ronnie G" <> wrote in

    > I am on Road Runner running a win 2k prof with no router, just the
    > cable modem. The IP is dynamicly assigned. The problem I am
    > experiencing is that when I set the firewall to block all internet
    > traffic and the computer goes on standby I loose my connection with
    > roadrunner. Is it possible that the service needs to ping my system
    > to keep the address active. Ipconfig looks something like this after
    > the connection is broken:
    >
    > Windows 2000 IP Configuration
    >
    > Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    >
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : (blank)
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.x.x.x (where the real
    > ip is
    > listed)
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : (blank)
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Ron

    Yeah, I suggest you stop the FW from blocking all Internet traffic. It
    looks like when the machine becomes active again, it wants to do a
    network discovery of some sort and it cannot make contact with the ISP
    nor can the ISP establish contact with the machine, because you have
    blocked all inbound and outbound traffic with the FW.

    What's the purpose of the rule to block all traffic anyway with the FW?

    The FW should be blocking all unsolicited inbound traffic and the only
    time the FW is going to allow inbound traffic to the machine is when a
    program running on the machine solicits inbound traffic from a remote
    site.

    http://www.firewall-
    software.com/firewall_faqs/how_does_firewall_work.html

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 3, 2004

  3. Ronnie G

    Ronnie G Guest

    Duane,

    thx for the reply. I figured that was the case, but then I didnt get this
    far in life by assuming or figuring....LOL What strikes me as odd is that
    the actual ip doesnt release....just the domain suffix and default gateway
    are released, so it cant be a way for the isp to conserve ip addresses.

    Any body know the dos command to release and renew the ip address?

    Ronnie G, Aug 3, 2004
  4. Ronnie G

    Ingeborg Guest

    "Ronnie G" <> wrote in

    > Duane,
    >
    > thx for the reply. I figured that was the case, but then I didnt get
    > this far in life by assuming or figuring....LOL What strikes me as
    > odd is that the actual ip doesnt release....just the domain suffix and
    > default gateway are released, so it cant be a way for the isp to
    > conserve ip addresses.
    >
    > Any body know the dos command to release and renew the ip address?
    >
    > Ron
    >

    >> Yeah, I suggest you stop the FW from blocking all Internet traffic.
    >> It looks like when the machine becomes active again, it wants to do a
    >> network discovery of some sort and it cannot make contact with the
    >> ISP nor can the ISP establish contact with the machine, because you
    >> have blocked all inbound and outbound traffic with the FW.
    >>
    >> What's the purpose of the rule to block all traffic anyway with the
    >> FW?
    >>
    >> The FW should be blocking all unsolicited inbound traffic and the
    >> only time the FW is going to allow inbound traffic to the machine is
    >> when a program running on the machine solicits inbound traffic from a
    >> remote site.
    >>
    >> http://www.firewall-
    >> software.com/firewall_faqs/how_does_firewall_work.html
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    ipconfig /renew

    Ingeborg, Aug 3, 2004
  5. Ronnie G

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Ronnie G" <> wrote in

    > Duane,
    >
    > thx for the reply. I figured that was the case, but then I didnt get
    > this far in life by assuming or figuring....LOL What strikes me as
    > odd is that the actual ip doesnt release....just the domain suffix and
    > default gateway are released, so it cant be a way for the isp to
    > conserve ip addresses.
    >
    > Any body know the dos command to release and renew the ip address?
    >
    > Ron

    Ipconfig /release and Ipconfig /renew at the DOS Command Prompt

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 3, 2004