    interested in their voice quality, and does anyone experiance busy
    circuit when making a call ...

    I'll be interested also in comparison with Vonage. Thanks

    Sarah Tanembaum, Jan 15, 2005

  2. Sarah Tanembaum

    Yaser Doleh Guest

    Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
    > Does anyone has any experience with VoIP service from lingo? I'm
    > interested in their voice quality, and does anyone experiance busy
    > circuit when making a call ...
    >
    > I'll be interested also in comparison with Vonage. Thanks

    I have been using lingo for about a month. The service seems to be fine.
    No busy signals. Voice quality is better than my previous POTS service.
    However, your voice quality depends more on your connection speed and
    your Internet provider than Lingo.

    There are few things about Lingo I did not like. They send you an
    ATA/router that you cannot change anything on it (expect setup you PPPOE
    or IP address). The user password is published on their website and you
    cannot change it. I called and complained but they basicly said this the
    way it is. You will have to protect the ATA with your own router if you
    are concerned about security. Also the ATA has bugs I have to reset it
    often. If you want to go with Lingo you may want to try the D-LINK
    ATA/router sold in retail stores.

    I am not happy with the customer support and technical support. You can
    use the website to submit requests/problems but then you have to call to
    really get the request completed (very strange). Everytime I submited a
    request on the website I got an email saying I have to call to complete
    the request. They also will never call you back. If they have to get
    back to you for any reason, you will have to call them back to check on
    status.

    They don't give you the account username/password so you cannot use
    other SIP software with the service (their contract does not say you
    cannot).

    They give you 30 days or 500 minutes free trail. The 500 minutes is
    burried in the contract. I did not see it until it was too late. You
    also locked for 12 months after the 30day or 500 minutes. They will
    charge you $39.95 if you cancel before the 12 months.

    I don't know about Vonage.

    Yaser

    Yaser Doleh, Jan 15, 2005

  3. Sarah Tanembaum

    Hank Karl Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 03:00:17 -0500, Sarah Tanembaum
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone has any experience with VoIP service from lingo? I'm
    >interested in their voice quality, and does anyone experiance busy
    >circuit when making a call ...
    >
    >I'll be interested also in comparison with Vonage. Thanks

    I've used them for a month or so. Voice sounds good, or better than
    POTS. Support is excellent, I've had no problems getting through to a
    rep (I was on hold for five minutes once, otherwise I got through
    directly).

    The TA seems to be made by UT/Starcom. I've had to reset it once. I
    first had the TA after the router, and things worked ok. I then put
    it before the router, and had to set the router has to use a fixed IP
    address. There's another issue dealing with MAC addresses, but most
    people will not experience it.

    Hank Karl, Jan 15, 2005