Line Quality problem with Cox/Vonage

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by cbird1@gmail.com, Jun 11, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have had line quality issue for a very long time and want to
    troubleshoot them. Many calls to Vonage Support have made varrious
    tweaks and upgrades and most recently changed motorola voice router to
    a Linksys. Here is configuration:

    COX HSI ----> Cable Modem ---->Voice Router--->Wireless 802.11g
    .......................................!
    .......................................!
    .................................900 Mhz cordless

    Speeds on Vonage Line Test

    Download 1,851,576 bps
    Upload 452,936 bps
    QOS 56%
    RTT 90 ms
    MaxPause 131 ms

    My Results (late night)
    Download 1,743,976 bps
    Upload 459,856 bps
    QOS 70%
    RTT 90 ms
    MaxPause 140 ms

    Cable Modem = SMC8002CM
    Voice Router = Linksys RT31P2
    Wireless Router = Motorola WR850G
    900 mhz Cordless phone = VTech VT2910C

    95% of my calls are made while in front of my laptop with wireless
    notebook card installed.

    I really do not have any complaints with my COX HSI connection, always
    fast downloads. I really have problems with the phone quality during
    peak inet traffic (mornings and late afternoons/early evening) That
    said, that is just when it is worse. I have problems almost every call
    and I am on the phone a lot, as I work from home.

    I have recently done some pingplots and do not show much packet loss,
    except during the peak times. Here is my ping plot
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cbird01/ping/ . I did not run long enough to
    catch the morning, but I am sure it would be like the late afternoon.
    Not sure if I ran it right. Just had it ping the pingplotter website. I
    tried to ping the Vonage site and had similar results, but the last
    ping at Vonage was 100% packet loss at all times.

    How about my phone, could any interference be going on? I dont have a
    hardwire to check it out.

    I have to solve this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Craig

    , Jun 11, 2005