    everything is turned on. Not sure what is the problem? Don't thing
    its a setting in the cmos, since my line out connection works fine.
    What else can I check? thanks
    8ball meme, Nov 18, 2010

  2. 8ball meme

    8ball meme Guest

    Re: Line in connector input not working? disabled? input radio to computer.

    tried the mic and makes no difference. It's a business system, maybe
    it was not meant to have any of those extra multimedia features?
    8ball meme, Nov 18, 2010

  3. 8ball meme

    Anyolmouse Guest

    On Nov 18, 5:35 am, 8ball meme <> wrote:
    > tried the mic and makes no difference.   It's a business system, maybe
    > it was not meant to have any of those extra multimedia features?

    Have you looked at the volume controls? The line in and microphone
    inputs may be muted or turned all of the way down by default.
    Anyolmouse, Nov 18, 2010
  4. 8ball meme

    nut Guest

    On 18/11/2010 14:42, Ben Myers wrote:
    > "8ball meme"<> wrote in message news:...
    >> I tried connecting my am/fm radio into the blue jack input of my home
    >> computer (line in conn), and it works fine. I tried doing the same
    >> thing, on my other computer (dell precision 390). It only has line
    >> in conn and line out for speaker at the back and mic and earphone
    >> jacks at the front. So I tried the line in conn (blue), but I get no
    >> sound on the computer. I check the master volume control and
    >> everything is turned on. Not sure what is the problem? Don't thing
    >> its a setting in the cmos, since my line out connection works fine.
    >> What else can I check? thanks

    > Please repost with more information, including the operating system in
    > use on the computer in question.

    Don't be a spastic, Ben.

    The OP is using a Microsoft OS and has reported that the output sound is
    working correctly.
    nut, Nov 18, 2010
  5. nut wrote:

    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> "8ball meme" wrote:
    >>> I tried connecting my am/fm radio into the blue jack input of my
    >>> home computer (line in conn), and it works fine. I tried doing
    >>> the same thing, on my other computer (dell precision 390). It
    >>> only has line in conn and line out for speaker at the back and mic
    >>> and earphone jacks at the front. So I tried the line in conn
    >>> (blue), but I get no sound on the computer. I check the master
    >>> volume control and everything is turned on. Not sure what is the
    >>> problem? Don't thing its a setting in the cmos, since my line out
    >>> connection works fine. What else can I check? thanks

    >> Please repost with more information, including the operating system
    >> in use on the computer in question.

    ..................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    > Don't be a spastic, Ben.

    > The OP is using a Microsoft OS and has reported that the output sound
    > is working correctly.

    Output, but apparently, not the input.

    Since the OP stated he has multiple computers, how do you know he was
    posting with the one exhibiting his problem? (6.1 is 7. Really. <g>)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 18, 2010
  6. 8ball meme

    nut Guest

    On 18/11/2010 15:39, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > nut wrote:
    >
    >> Ben Myers wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Please repost with more information, including the operating system
    >>> in use on the computer in question.

    > .................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    >> Don't be a spastic, Ben.

    >> The OP is using a Microsoft OS and has reported that the output sound
    >> is working correctly.

    > Output, but apparently, not the input.
    >
    > Since the OP stated he has multiple computers, how do you know he was
    > posting with the one exhibiting his problem? (6.1 is 7. Really.<g>)

    The liklihood of the OP using Linux is less than 1% but fair point... i
    did wrongly assume they were using the affected machine to post the message.

    I mentioned that the output was working to eliminate the possibility of
    driver problems.
    nut, Nov 18, 2010
  7. nut wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> nut wrote:

    >> ................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>
    >>> Don't be a spastic, Ben.

    >>> The OP is using a Microsoft OS and has reported that the output sound
    >>> is working correctly.

    >> Output, but apparently, not the input.
    >>
    >> Since the OP stated he has multiple computers, how do you know he was
    >> posting with the one exhibiting his problem? (6.1 is 7. Really.<g>)

    > The liklihood of the OP using Linux is less than 1% but fair point...
    > i did wrongly assume they were using the affected machine to post the
    > message.

    Or a Mac? Windows 3.11? ;-)

    > I mentioned that the output was working to eliminate the possibility
    > of driver problems.

    Good point .. maybe the driver isn't installed correctly. According to
    the Dell web site, the specs for that Precision 390 say:

    o 1 serial (optional 2nd connector), 1 parallel, 2 PS/2, 1 RJ-45, Stereo
    line-in and headphone line-out on back panel
    o Microphone and headphone connector on front panel, IEEE 1394a
    connector available on front panel with add-in card

    ...and it shipped with Wista. (6.0)
    <http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfb/desktops/precn_390/pd.aspx?refid=precn_390&cs=28&s=dfb>

    --
    -bts
    -happy to be a 1%er
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 18, 2010
  8. 8ball meme

    8ball meme Guest

    Re: Line in connector input not working? disabled? input radio to computer.

    This dell is my work computer, fairly new, xp pre installed sp3.
    There are no issues with the drivers or error messages in control
    panel. Yes I looked several times in control panel sound. there
    is only one sound device listed "sigma tel audio" integrated sound.
    in cmos on board sound is turned on. There is nothing fancy when it
    comes to sound on my system. and yes, I check the master volume
    controls several times, and nothing is muted. the out put sound to
    earphones works fine. It's a real mystery. tx
    8ball meme, Nov 18, 2010