    and how can I fix it so the post will go?

    TIA

    Steve
    shazzbat, Dec 14, 2006

  2. shazzbat

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-12-14, shazzbat <> wrote:
    > I tried to reply to a post in a ng, but I keep getting the message that OE
    > couldn't post the message because " server response 441 line 3 too long".
    > It's only a short message. The only thing I can find is that if I go into
    > properties/details, the list of references is very long. Is this the reason,

    Probably.

    > and how can I fix it so the post will go?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Steve

    Can you edit that line manually and then post the article? If so, leave
    the first one or two MIDs, and delete some from the middle of the line to
    make it shorter. Try to leave as many MIDs as possible at the end of the
    line, as these are used to 'thread' articles and to identify responses to
    particular articles. Make sure that you have the <> at each end of each
    of the MIDs you leave in, and that each MID is seperated from the one
    before by a comma but no space - and if at all possible, don't let your
    editor 'wrap' the line.

    A better solution is to use a different newsreader program; OE has many
    shortcomings.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Dec 14, 2006

  3. shazzbat

    shazzbat Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-12-14, shazzbat <> wrote:
    >> I tried to reply to a post in a ng, but I keep getting the message that
    >> OE
    >> couldn't post the message because " server response 441 line 3 too long".
    >> It's only a short message. The only thing I can find is that if I go into
    >> properties/details, the list of references is very long. Is this the
    >> reason,

    > Probably.
    >
    >> and how can I fix it so the post will go?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Can you edit that line manually and then post the article? If so, leave
    > the first one or two MIDs, and delete some from the middle of the line to
    > make it shorter. Try to leave as many MIDs as possible at the end of the
    > line, as these are used to 'thread' articles and to identify responses to
    > particular articles. Make sure that you have the <> at each end of each
    > of the MIDs you leave in, and that each MID is seperated from the one
    > before by a comma but no space - and if at all possible, don't let your
    > editor 'wrap' the line.

    Thanks, but I don't know how to do that. I can only see the references if I
    go to properties/details, and it lets me select and it lets me copy, but not
    cut.

    And now I see that my post has appeared in the ng, despite still saying it
    can't post, and the post is still in my outbox.

    I'm confuzzled now :))

    Steve
    shazzbat, Dec 14, 2006
  4. shazzbat

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-12-14, shazzbat <> wrote:

    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-12-14, shazzbat <> wrote:
    >>> I tried to reply to a post in a ng, but I keep getting the message that
    >>> OE
    >>> couldn't post the message because " server response 441 line 3 too long".
    >>> It's only a short message. The only thing I can find is that if I go into
    >>> properties/details, the list of references is very long. Is this the
    >>> reason,

    >> Probably.
    >>
    >>> and how can I fix it so the post will go?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> Can you edit that line manually and then post the article? If so, leave
    >> the first one or two MIDs, and delete some from the middle of the line to
    >> make it shorter. Try to leave as many MIDs as possible at the end of the
    >> line, as these are used to 'thread' articles and to identify responses to
    >> particular articles. Make sure that you have the <> at each end of each
    >> of the MIDs you leave in, and that each MID is seperated from the one
    >> before by a comma but no space - and if at all possible, don't let your
    >> editor 'wrap' the line.
    >>

    > Thanks, but I don't know how to do that. I can only see the references if I
    > go to properties/details, and it lets me select and it lets me copy, but not
    > cut.

    You probably need to use a seperate text editor - assuming that OE stores
    outgoing or pending messages as 'plain text' files.

    > And now I see that my post has appeared in the ng, despite still saying it
    > can't post, and the post is still in my outbox.
    >
    > I'm confuzzled now :))
    >
    > Steve

    OE is a puzzle.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Dec 14, 2006
  5. "shazzbat" <> wrote in

    > I tried to reply to a post in a ng, but I keep getting the message that
    > OE couldn't post the message because " server response 441 line 3 too
    > long". It's only a short message. The only thing I can find is that if I
    > go into properties/details, the list of references is very long. Is this
    > the reason, and how can I fix it so the post will go?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Steve

    "server response 441 line 3 too long" = That is a response from your news
    provider. They have filters. I don't know how your news provider codes
    their errors, but likely there's a funky x-header or it's cross-posted too
    many times. Could have a macro code (or something interpreted as such)
    embedded. Any number of things... You can view the source in a news
    article in OE, but you can't do much about editing it to resend it.

    What you could do is open a "new" message, and simply give it the same
    Subject line and newsgroup(s) which are contained in the message to which
    you wish to reply.

    I doubt this is a common or recurring issue?

    If I ever opened a trampoline store, I don't think I'd call it
    "Trampo-Land" because potential customers might think it was a
    store for tramps, which is not the impression we are trying
    to convey with our family-oriented store.

    On the other hand, we would not arbitrarily prohibit tramps
    from browsing, lounging, posing or testing the trampolines,
    unless a tramp's gyrations seemed to be getting way out of control.
    Bucky Breeder, Dec 14, 2006
  6. Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2006-12-14, shazzbat <> wrote:
    >> I tried to reply to a post in a ng, but I keep getting the message that OE
    >> couldn't post the message because " server response 441 line 3 too long".
    >> It's only a short message. The only thing I can find is that if I go into
    >> properties/details, the list of references is very long. Is this the reason,

    > Probably.
    >
    >> and how can I fix it so the post will go?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Can you edit that line manually and then post the article? If so, leave
    > the first one or two MIDs, and delete some from the middle of the line to
    > make it shorter. Try to leave as many MIDs as possible at the end of the
    > line, as these are used to 'thread' articles and to identify responses to
    > particular articles. Make sure that you have the <> at each end of each
    > of the MIDs you leave in, and that each MID is seperated from the one
    > before by a comma but no space

    <snip>

    Why commas?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 14, 2006
  7. shazzbat

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-12-14, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2006-12-14, shazzbat <> wrote:
    >>> I tried to reply to a post in a ng, but I keep getting the message that OE
    >>> couldn't post the message because " server response 441 line 3 too long".
    >>> It's only a short message. The only thing I can find is that if I go into
    >>> properties/details, the list of references is very long. Is this the reason,

    >> Probably.
    >>
    >>> and how can I fix it so the post will go?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> Can you edit that line manually and then post the article? If so, leave
    >> the first one or two MIDs, and delete some from the middle of the line to
    >> make it shorter. Try to leave as many MIDs as possible at the end of the
    >> line, as these are used to 'thread' articles and to identify responses to
    >> particular articles. Make sure that you have the <> at each end of each
    >> of the MIDs you leave in, and that each MID is seperated from the one
    >> before by a comma but no space

    > <snip>
    >
    > Why commas?

    Oh. You're not wrong to ask; it is of course the Newsgroups header that
    uses commas as seperators. The References header, just to be awkward,
    uses spaces. The Path header uses exclamation marks!

    That standard looks like a committee job.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Dec 14, 2006