    P.S. Ya gotta love teenagers!

    Thanks,,

    Tony
    Tony, May 15, 2009

  2. I think using a static IP address will do it. Make sure they don't have
    administrator rights. good luck!

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), May 15, 2009

  3. Tony <> wrote:
    > I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
    > routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
    > staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
    > are supposed to be in bed!.. lol I am wondering if there is a way I
    > can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
    > can not longer connect to others.
    >
    > P.S. Ya gotta love teenagers!
    >
    > Thanks,,
    >
    > Tony

    Not that I know of, and as a wise man said, "There are seldom good
    technological solutions to behavioral problems." Take the computers away if
    they aren't adhering to the house rules. A computer is not a birthright, nor
    is internet access. Keep the computers in the living room or any other
    shared/communal space in the house.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], May 17, 2009
  4. Tony

    Dave Guest

    'maybe'... most home networks probably use the default ip range so if there
    were unsecured networks around they may still be able to use them as long as
    they don't have an ip conflict with another machine already on the network.
    if you pick an odd range for your own internal network and maybe change the
    router gateway address for good measure that would slow them down a bit
    more... unless they have a cooperative friend who sets theirs up the same
    way. a better measure would be to have the machines in a family room, not
    in their bedrooms... that would provide you with better parental supervision
    of what they surf also!

    Dave, May 17, 2009
  5. Tony

    Azure Guest

    What OS are they using on their computers? Vista?
    If so take a look here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/parental-controls.aspx

    Vista has parenting controls which allows the parent to set times the
    computer can be used. It's password protected too.

    Azure, May 18, 2009
  6. Tony

    Big_Al Guest

    Tony said this on 5/15/2009 9:06 AM:
    > I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
    > routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
    > staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
    > are supposed to be in bed!.. lol I am wondering if there is a way I
    > can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
    > can not longer connect to others.
    >
    > P.S. Ya gotta love teenagers!
    >
    > Thanks,,
    >
    > Tony

    Depending on your relationship with others in the area, you might get
    them to turn on wep security on their routers. Hell, you might do it
    for them. And it might be explained as a risk to them more than a aid
    to you.
    Big_Al, May 18, 2009
  7. Tony

    Pavel A. Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
    > routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
    > staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
    > are supposed to be in bed!.. lol I am wondering if there is a way I
    > can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
    > can not longer connect to others.

    Well perhaps this is another selling point to wired network,
    such as power line (a.k.a. HomePNA).
    Then you are in full control. Turn the switch off, done.
    But smart kids can get USB wi-fi dongles ... :)

    -- pa
    Pavel A., May 18, 2009
  8. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On May 18, 3:59 pm, "Pavel A." <> wrote:
    > Tony wrote:
    > > I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
    > > routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
    > > staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
    > > are supposed to be in bed!.. lol   I am wondering if there is a way I
    > > can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
    > > can not longer connect to others.

    > Well perhaps this is another selling point to wired network,
    > such as power line (a.k.a. HomePNA).
    > Then you are in full control. Turn the switch off, done.
    > But smart kids can get USB wi-fi dongles ... :)
    >
    > -- pa

    thanks to all for your suggestions,, and yes I agree they should be
    responsible enough to do the right thing,, thats whats so
    frustrating,,,,
    Tony, May 19, 2009
  9. Tony

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    There are different tricks to lock down usage of other Access Points.
    However the functionality of these tricks dependent on the knowledge of the
    users.
    I.e., a knowledgeable user can find ways to go around the "Blocks".
    In case of teenagers it can turn even worse. If they do not know what to do
    to free their system, they probably would turn to "geeks" friends for
    advise, and then they can end up (might be unbeknown to them) getting
    involved in illegal activities.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, May 19, 2009
  10. Tony

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Tony

    There are many ways of doing this. But and a big BUT is that if I take my kids as an
    example then they will be around this lockout as fast as I put it in place. If I
    consider my kids as average teenagers then they all (teens and smaller kids )are
    able to do it also.It is a waste of time and nothing is more effective for this
    issue then being a parent

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, May 19, 2009
  11. Tony <> wrote:
    > On May 18, 3:59 pm, "Pavel A." <> wrote:
    >> Tony wrote:
    >>> I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
    >>> routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
    >>> staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
    >>> are supposed to be in bed!.. lol I am wondering if there is a way I
    >>> can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
    >>> can not longer connect to others.

    >> Well perhaps this is another selling point to wired network,
    >> such as power line (a.k.a. HomePNA).
    >> Then you are in full control. Turn the switch off, done.
    >> But smart kids can get USB wi-fi dongles ... :)
    >>
    >> -- pa

    > thanks to all for your suggestions,, and yes I agree they should be
    > responsible enough to do the right thing,, thats whats so
    > frustrating,,,,

    What would you do if they were driving your car without your permission?

    This is not a technological problem.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], May 20, 2009
  12. Peter Foldes <> wrote:
    > Tony
    >
    > There are many ways of doing this. But and a big BUT is that if I
    > take my kids as an example then they will be around this lockout as
    > fast as I put it in place. If I consider my kids as average teenagers
    > then they all (teens and smaller kids )are able to do it also.It is a
    > waste of time and nothing is more effective for this issue then being
    > a parent

    Yes. The way to handle it is to remove the computer from said teenager's
    hands.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], May 20, 2009
  13. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On May 19, 8:49 pm, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    <> wrote:
    > Tony <> wrote:

    > >> Well perhaps this is another selling point to wired network,
    > >> such as power line (a.k.a. HomePNA).
    > >> Then you are in full control. Turn the switch off, done.
    > >> But smart kids can get USB wi-fi dongles ... :)

    > >> -- pa

    > > thanks to all for your suggestions,, and yes I agree they should be
    > > responsible enough to do the right thing,, thats whats so
    > > frustrating,,,,

    > What would  you do if they were driving your car without your permission?
    >
    > This is not a technological problem.- Hide quoted text -

    Lanwench,
    I do not fear them killing themselves sitting in their bed as opposed
    to driving without permission.

    But I see your level of sarcasm and raise to a level of my own.

    Tony, May 20, 2009
  14. Tony <> wrote:
    > On May 19, 8:49 pm, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Tony <> wrote:

    >>> thanks to all for your suggestions,, and yes I agree they should be
    >>> responsible enough to do the right thing,, thats whats so
    >>> frustrating,,,,
    >>> I

    >> What would you do if they were driving your car without your
    >> permission?
    >>
    >> This is not a technological problem.- Hide quoted text -

    > Lanwench,
    > I do not fear them killing themselves sitting in their bed as opposed
    > to driving without permission.
    >
    > But I see your level of sarcasm and raise to a level of my own.

    Rules is rules and your analogy is flawed. I'm sure a parent would be less
    mad if their 16-year-old stayed up using Facebook, IM'ing, and surfing for
    ____ all night than if the same 16-year-old took the parental car without
    permission and drove (safely and legally) to the mall. However, that doesn't
    mean it's something you want them doing - or you wouldn't have posted in the
    first place. Don't expect technology to handle this sort of thing. Your kids
    will always be able to outsmart you in this arena....that's what kids do.
    This is a losing battle unless you take the <item> away when they don't
    follow the rules.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], May 20, 2009