    Is there any way of dropping his connection to the router from my PC.

    thanks
    keef
    keef, Jan 14, 2008

  2. keef

    Lem Guest

    keef wrote:
    > Hi
    > i have set up a home wi-fi broardband router for myself and my kids.
    > is there any way that i can stop access after a certain time.
    > my 10 year old son tends to be on line all night if given the chance.
    > My only way of keeping an eye on him is via messenger.
    > Is there any way of dropping his connection to the router from my PC.
    >
    > thanks
    > keef

    Some (many? all?) home wireless routers have various mechanisms for
    limiting Internet access. Linksys, for example, lets you limit Internet
    access to any given computer(s) on the LAN by day of week/time of day;
    website; keyword; or service. Take a look in your router's User Guide
    (or post make/model). And be sure to password-protect the router's
    configuration utility (it's probably overkill to put the router behind a
    locked door to prevent your kid from resetting it to factory defaults).

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 15, 2008

  3. keef

    Chris Guest

    "keef" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > i have set up a home wi-fi broardband router for myself and my kids.
    > is there any way that i can stop access after a certain time.
    > my 10 year old son tends to be on line all night if given the chance.
    > My only way of keeping an eye on him is via messenger.
    > Is there any way of dropping his connection to the router from my PC.
    >
    > thanks
    > keef

    I had this same need for my kids with my Linksys WRT54G. I also found a bug
    so beware. You have to make a rule for allowing access to the MAC address
    in question 24x7 THEN enter a second rule for when you want to restrict
    access. I tried entering only the rule for my restriction and it did not
    work. Only after searching around for a good bit on UseNet did I find the
    solution that I speak of.

    Hope this helps save you some time.

    Chris
    Chris, Jan 15, 2008