    no Connectivity". Signal strength is "good" or "excellent". I have been told
    there is a patch to correct this. Does anyone know what this is and where it
    can be sourced?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0hSSVMgVw==?=, Jul 20, 2006

  2. You need to provide more information before you can get an answer. One big
    help is to get into the DOS window, execute

    IPCONFIG/ALL

    and tell us what it says. It'll also help if you advise type of router you
    use, etc.

    Otherwise, it's like saying you hear the engine running in the car, it
    doesn't move, but you heard there's a tool to fix it, and please tell you
    where to get one.

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=, Jul 20, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q0hSSVMgVw==?=

    atec77 Guest

    FrankChin wrote:
    > You need to provide more information before you can get an answer. One big
    > help is to get into the DOS window, execute
    >
    > IPCONFIG/ALL
    >
    > and tell us what it says. It'll also help if you advise type of router you
    > use, etc.
    >
    > Otherwise, it's like saying you hear the engine running in the car, it
    > doesn't move, but you heard there's a tool to fix it, and please tell you
    > where to get one.
    >

    > "CHRIS W" wrote:
    >
    >> I connect to a network service provider using wirelss, pay the required fee,
    >> but when I try to access my emails or browser I get the message "Limited or
    >> no Connectivity". Signal strength is "good" or "excellent". I have been told
    >> there is a patch to correct this. Does anyone know what this is and where it
    >> can be sourced?

    I suspect you are not being assigned an ip , best call them .

    atec77, Jul 20, 2006
  4. Sorry to be so ignorant but I do not understand your replies.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0hSSVMgVw==?=, Jul 20, 2006
  5. Chris:

    Sorry about that.

    - You must get your service from some cable or phone company. These people
    are called "Internet service providers", or ISP for short.

    - Your ISP gives you service thru some wires, (cable or phone) that comes
    off the street and into your house.

    - If you have a telephone at home, you have a telephone number so people can
    dial you up. For the ISP to send signals to your house, they give your a box
    called a "cable modem", and there is an "IP address" that works like the
    telephone number to get service to your house.

    - We were guessing that your setup did not successfully have that IP address
    assigned, which may cause the problem. The IPCONFIG/ALL command would tell
    us, but unfortuantely, you can't help.

    - You mentioned wireless. We are GUESSING that someone put in a ROUTER. If
    you are as ignorant as you say, couldn't be you?? That is another box the ISP
    gives you, or you buy from the store that hooks up to the cable modem and
    sends the signal to your PC.

    - You would configre (that means to set up) the router so it'll ask the ISP
    to give you an IP address so that they can send you signals. This is thru a
    process called DHCP.

    Suggestion

    Call the ISP, this is your cable or phone company up and they might talk you
    thru it. If you are as ignorant as you say, maybe they can send a servive rep
    out, usually for a fee.

    Our local ISP does send techicians out to hook up wireless networks. I'm
    sure there are folks out there as clueless as you about thge internet.

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=, Jul 20, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Q0hSSVMgVw==?=

    Lem Guest

    CHRIS W wrote:
    > I connect to a network service provider using wirelss, pay the required fee,
    > but when I try to access my emails or browser I get the message "Limited or
    > no Connectivity". Signal strength is "good" or "excellent". I have been told
    > there is a patch to correct this. Does anyone know what this is and where it
    > can be sourced?

    Do you mean that you go to a "wifi hotspot" (like at Starbucks or an
    airport), connect, pay the fee, but then can't access email or browse
    the Internet? If so, see http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3343

    Lem, Jul 20, 2006
  7. I apologise. I did not make my situation clear enough. I have travelled in
    Europe a few times and normally have no trouble using wireless connections to
    access the internet and/or receive emails. I have done this in hotels,
    shopping centres and in yacht marinas. However I was recently in Croatia when
    I had this problem. (I am now back home in Australia). My computer would
    quickly find the wirelss connection with good signal, it would open the home
    page of the service provider, it would accept my credit card details to buy
    some time, but the moment I tried to open my browser or access emails, I
    received the message "Limited or no connectivity". I did have a number of
    conversations (at great expense on my cell phone) with the service provider
    and it was their technician who suggested that I needed an upgrade and to
    download and install a patch. But he did not give me any more details than
    that. He would also not give me a refund but promised to give me some "time"
    when I had resolved the problem. I ran out of time so have returned home
    minus the 200 Kuna (about AU$45). Very frustrating.
    Thanks for your interest in my problem.
    CHRIS.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0hSSVMgVw==?=, Jul 22, 2006
  8. You got it in one. Only problem is that this was in Croatia where language
    difficulties and high cost of mobile phone calls made sorting out the problem
    difficult. I connected, opened the service providers home page, entered
    credit card details which was accepted, was granted one hour usage, but every
    time I tried to open my browser or access emails there was nothing. In the
    wireless connections window the message "Limited or no connectivity"
    appeared. It was the service providers tech who suggested downloading and
    installing a patch but gave me no details of that. I had no trouble with
    other providers in various parts of Italy and in Hong Kong. I am now back in
    Australia but still want to try and sort out the problem.
    Cheers,
    CHRIS.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0hSSVMgVw==?=, Jul 22, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Q0hSSVMgVw==?=

    joeyraff123

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2006
    Messages:
    3
    used to be able to connect before WEP-enabled

    Hi, i have a pc running XP with an internal network card (it's a gateway laptop) and i just set up a network. i have a 2Wire at&t wireless modem/router with two WAP54G access points connected to it. before i secured the network, i was able to connect from any machine. then i secured one of the WAP54G's and i got "Excelleent signal, limited or no connectivity" error. The afflicted machines still connect to the unsecured WAP54G though.

    When i do a repair, it says that it is unable to get an IP adress. why can't i get an IP address on some of PCs. i got several Mac's connected effortlessly, and half the PCs came right up after i put in the key.... i have killed internet security and all other crap on these machines to see if that would help, but nothing. i ran into some talk of an XP service pack 2 patch. but i also ran into some posts about configuring the NIC cards to support WEP-enabled signals.

    any ideas?

    Joe

    joeyraff123, Aug 21, 2006