    When I open Internet Explorer it does nothing.

    My laptop works great with the modem, so it's not the cable modem.

    What is wrong?

    Willie, Mar 9, 2005

  2. Willie

    owldo @ PAX Guest

    Did you turn off the XP FireWall?

    --

    Take out the "(trash)" to reply

    owldo @ PAX, Mar 9, 2005

  3. Willie

    James Guest

    "Willie" <> wrote in message
    > I'm running Windows XP (service pack 2).
    >
    > I just connected a cable modem to my new desktop computer via ethernet
    > cable.
    >
    > I get a message that comes up on my taskbar with an "!" saying "limited or
    > no connectivity".
    >
    > When I open Internet Explorer it does nothing.
    >
    > My laptop works great with the modem, so it's not the cable modem.
    >
    > What is wrong?

    can you ping 127.0.0.1 ?
    and can you ping your laptop
    to ping > 'Start>Run' type cmd and enter... From the comman prompt type the
    following
    ping 127.0.0.1 - enter
    ping 'laptop_ip_address' - enter

    let us know what happens

    James, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Willie

    Willie Guest

    Windows firewall has been turned off. Still no connectivity.
    Cannot ping either.
    It's like the computer doesn't recognize the modem.

    Willie, Mar 9, 2005
  5. Willie

    James Guest

    "Willie" <> wrote in message
    > Windows firewall has been turned off. Still no connectivity.
    > Cannot ping either.
    > It's like the computer doesn't recognize the modem.
    >
    > "James" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Willie" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm running Windows XP (service pack 2).
    >>>
    >>> I just connected a cable modem to my new desktop computer via ethernet
    >>> cable.
    >>>
    >>> I get a message that comes up on my taskbar with an "!" saying "limited
    >>> or no connectivity".
    >>>
    >>> When I open Internet Explorer it does nothing.
    >>>
    >>> My laptop works great with the modem, so it's not the cable modem.
    >>>
    >>> What is wrong?
    >>>

    >> can you ping 127.0.0.1 ?
    >> and can you ping your laptop
    >> to ping > 'Start>Run' type cmd and enter... From the comman prompt type
    >> the following
    >> ping 127.0.0.1 - enter
    >> ping 'laptop_ip_address' - enter
    >>
    >> let us know what happens

    cant ping 127.0.0.1 ? - try uninstalling the tcp/ip protocol from the
    connection (if it is installed) and then re-install the tcp/ip protocol - if
    this does not work then modem is dead m8

    James Jenkins
    www.tamarsolutions.co.uk

    James, Mar 9, 2005
  6. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Wed,
    9 Mar 2005 17:24:51 -0000, "James"
    <> screamed from behind the mulberry
    bush:

    >"Willie" <> wrote in message
    >> Windows firewall has been turned off. Still no connectivity.
    >> Cannot ping either.
    >> It's like the computer doesn't recognize the modem.
    >>
    >> "James" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Willie" <> wrote in message

    >>> can you ping 127.0.0.1 ?
    >>> and can you ping your laptop
    >>> to ping > 'Start>Run' type cmd and enter... From the comman prompt type
    >>> the following
    >>> ping 127.0.0.1 - enter
    >>> ping 'laptop_ip_address' - enter
    >>>
    >>> let us know what happens

    >cant ping 127.0.0.1 ? - try uninstalling the tcp/ip protocol from the
    >connection (if it is installed) and then re-install the tcp/ip protocol - if
    >this does not work then modem is dead m8
    >
    >James Jenkins
    >www.tamarsolutions.co.uk

    If he's running XP (and I assume he is since it is new) then you can't
    uninstall TCP/IP. XP won't let you.

    --

    Zittmutter AKA Dr Zonk offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in Message-ID: <>

    "That's what your dead mother said...right before I fucked her."

    Jason, AKA a host of other sock puppets, displays a proclivity for being a motherfucker *and* a necrophiliac in Message-ID: <Xns9600B0B4DFAF6spamspamsnuhspam33@207.14.113.17>

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Mar 9, 2005
  7. Willie

    James Guest

    "Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <> wrote in message
    >I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Wed,
    > 9 Mar 2005 17:24:51 -0000, "James"
    > <> screamed from behind the mulberry
    > bush:
    >

    >>"Willie" <> wrote in message
    >>> Windows firewall has been turned off. Still no connectivity.
    >>> Cannot ping either.
    >>> It's like the computer doesn't recognize the modem.
    >>>
    >>> "James" <> wrote in message

    >>cant ping 127.0.0.1 ? - try uninstalling the tcp/ip protocol from the
    >>connection (if it is installed) and then re-install the tcp/ip protocol -
    >>if
    >>this does not work then modem is dead m8
    >>
    >>James Jenkins
    >>www.tamarsolutions.co.uk

    > If he's running XP (and I assume he is since it is new) then you can't
    > uninstall TCP/IP. XP won't let you.
    >

    > --
    >

    > Zittmutter AKA Dr Zonk offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in
    >
    > "That's what your dead mother said...right before I fucked her."
    >
    > Jason, AKA a host of other sock puppets, displays a proclivity for being a
    > motherfucker *and* a necrophiliac in Message-ID:
    > <Xns9600B0B4DFAF6spamspamsnuhspam33@207.14.113.17>

    goto network connections choose the offending connection - right click
    choose properties then click 'Networking' - untick the 'tcp/ip' protocol -
    ok ok - restart the xp and then go back and tick the tcp/ip option again...

    James, Mar 9, 2005
  8. Willie

    Glen Nance Guest

    Re: Constant mixed emotions.... why??

    Glen Nance, Mar 9, 2005
  9. Willie

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:31:36 -0500, "Willie" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm running Windows XP (service pack 2).
    >
    >I just connected a cable modem to my new desktop computer via ethernet
    >cable.
    >
    >I get a message that comes up on my taskbar with an "!" saying "limited or
    >no connectivity".
    >
    >When I open Internet Explorer it does nothing.
    >
    >My laptop works great with the modem, so it's not the cable modem.

    Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Options.

    Right click Local Area Connection, Properties. choose TCP &
    Properties. Make sure Obtain IP address automatically is selected. and
    obtain DNS server automatically is selected too?

    Evan

    Evan Platt, Mar 9, 2005
  10. Willie

    Dan Glybitz Guest

    "Willie" <> wrote in message
    > I'm running Windows XP (service pack 2).
    >
    > I just connected a cable modem to my new desktop computer via ethernet
    > cable.
    >
    > I get a message that comes up on my taskbar with an "!" saying "limited or
    > no connectivity".
    >
    > When I open Internet Explorer it does nothing.
    >
    > My laptop works great with the modem, so it's not the cable modem.
    >
    > What is wrong?

    Had the same thing yesterday when I took the plunge and installed XP SP2.
    Already had XP Home with SP1 running nicely, but you know how it is? If it's
    not broke, fix it until it is! Anyway, ended up pissing about with a lot of
    security settings to sort it out. Look in Control Panel/Security Centre then
    go into "change the way Security Centre alerts me" and disable all the
    warning etc etc. Also right clicking on the tray connection icon and
    choosing repair seems to work.
    HTH.

    DG.

    Dan Glybitz, Mar 9, 2005
  11. Willie

    James Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:31:36 -0500, "Willie" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm running Windows XP (service pack 2).
    >>
    >>I just connected a cable modem to my new desktop computer via ethernet
    >>cable.
    >>
    >>I get a message that comes up on my taskbar with an "!" saying "limited or
    >>no connectivity".
    >>
    >>When I open Internet Explorer it does nothing.
    >>
    >>My laptop works great with the modem, so it's not the cable modem.

    > Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Options.
    >
    > Right click Local Area Connection, Properties. choose TCP &
    > Properties. Make sure Obtain IP address automatically is selected. and
    > obtain DNS server automatically is selected too?
    >
    > Evan
    > --
    > To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address.

    he can't ping localhost!

    James, Mar 9, 2005