    turned off all firewalls and that had no effect.

    If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.
    , Apr 15, 2006

  2. Malke Guest

    wrote:

    > I have a Dell laptop using XP Pro (SP 2) connected to a wireless
    > router. I have the internet set up, but it is not consistent. At
    > times, while browsing from one web page to another, the connection
    > gets
    > lost. The only way I can get the connection back is go the Wireless
    > Status and Refresh. Most of the time this works for a little while,
    > but then the connection gets lost again.
    >
    > As far as I know, distance from the router makes no difference. I
    > have turned off all firewalls and that had no effect.
    >
    > If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

    1. Make sure you changed the default SSID to something recognizable and
    that you are connecting to it and not someone else's wireless. For
    instance if other people in your neighborhood have a Linksys router and
    left the default SSID at "linksys" and so did you and if their
    connection is unsecured (often the case), there is a good possibility
    you are connecting to the wrong network.

    2. Try changing the wireless channel. Do this in the router's
    configuration.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell