Limited or No Connectivity to 802.11b Access Point

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jim G, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. Jim G

    Jim G Guest

    I have two wireless access points at home. A Belkin 802.11g router set up as
    an access point inside my domain with WPA-PSK. And I have a Netgear 802.11b
    router outside my domain with WEP. This is for guest access to the Internet,
    bypassing my domain.

    The Windows Available Wireless Networks dialog displays both networks at
    full strength. I can connect to the domain access point with WPA-PSK. I can
    also connect to the b/WEP network but with the following message "Limited or
    no connectivity." I've entered the WEP key. I'm using Windows XP SP2 on the
    laptop to configure both nets.

    The laptop has a Belkin wireless card. Prior to getting the "g" network, I
    used a different card in the laptop. With the old card, the "b" network
    worked fine. Now, I want to access both nets with the Belkin card.

    What don't I understand?

    Jim G

    Jim G, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Jim G

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Jim G" <Jim > wrote in message news:%...
    > What don't I understand?

    The "limited connectivity" message, in plain English, means that
    the connection is configured for DHCP but can't get IP address.
    Try to find why.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 3, 2005

  3. Jim G

    Jim G Guest

    Fixed. Turns out I had set the Key to "2" on the access point. I had to make
    the same setting on the laptop. Now it connects and allows throughput. I did
    a little googling and didn't find this mentioned.

    Jim G.

    Jim G, Sep 5, 2005