"Limited or no connectivity" problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIFA=?=, May 27, 2007.

  1. I'd really appreciate some help with this one as I've spent hours on this
    problem with no success. Until a couple of weeks ago I had a working
    wireless system but it stopped working for no apparent reason. I've checked
    for updates that occured at the time and nothing seems to have changed so I'm
    lost.

    Problem: I've got a desktop running Windows ME hooked up to the internet
    via a router (D-Link DI-634M) and it works fine. I've got a laptop running
    Windows XP and when connected to the same router via an ethernet cable it
    works fine but try to connect through the Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network
    Adapter and I just get the message above. The wireless card seems to be fine
    as it's picking up all the usual local wireless networks but there seems to
    be an IP address issue as when I run IPCONFIG I get a 169.254.xxx.xxx address
    for the wireless network and this ties in with the message I get when I try
    to repair the connection "This problem occured because the network did not
    assign a network address to the computer".

    How do I get the network to assign a network address? If you have an idea
    then you'll have to give me some basic instructions as I'm not really
    familiar with this area of technology but I'd appreciate any help that can be
    given.

    Many thanks

    Ian

    =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIFA=?=, May 27, 2007

  2. Hi Ian,

    While I cannot offer any *specific* advice in your situation, you may want
    to peruse this site for some ideas you may not have thought of:

    http://www.ezlan.net/index.html

    --
    HTH,
    Curt

    Windows Support Center
    www.aumha.org
    Practically Nerded,...
    http://dundats.mvps.org/Index.htm

    Curt Christianson, May 27, 2007

  3. "Ian P" wrote:

    > I'd really appreciate some help with this one as I've spent hours on this
    > problem with no success. Until a couple of weeks ago I had a working
    > wireless system but it stopped working for no apparent reason. I've checked
    > for updates that occured at the time and nothing seems to have changed so I'm
    > lost.
    >
    > Problem: I've got a desktop running Windows ME hooked up to the internet
    > via a router (D-Link DI-634M) and it works fine. I've got a laptop running
    > Windows XP and when connected to the same router via an ethernet cable it
    > works fine but try to connect through the Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network
    > Adapter and I just get the message above. The wireless card seems to be fine
    > as it's picking up all the usual local wireless networks but there seems to
    > be an IP address issue as when I run IPCONFIG I get a 169.254.xxx.xxx address
    > for the wireless network and this ties in with the message I get when I try
    > to repair the connection "This problem occured because the network did not
    > assign a network address to the computer".
    >
    > How do I get the network to assign a network address? If you have an idea
    > then you'll have to give me some basic instructions as I'm not really
    > familiar with this area of technology but I'd appreciate any help that can be
    > given.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Ian

    Tow reason you are having this message:
    1- Your Laptop wireless not authenticated to the Wireless Network,
    because you are entering the wrong Encryption Key (WEP/WPA-PSK).

    2- The Windows wireless Zero configuration is not started or not stated
    Automatically and you need to Check the Services for it.

    3- There is an Extra Option your Firewall blocking the connection.

    How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702/en-us
    You may receive a "Limited or no connectivity" message on a computer that is
    connected to the Internet by a DSL modem or a cable modem after you install
    Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892896

    Troubleshooting network connection problems
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/troubleshoot.mspx

    http://www.chicagotech.net/troubleshooting/noconnectivity20.htm

    Also do you have a Wireless Utility that Handle the wireless connection as
    some built-in can have this Capability from some Vendor so try to look for
    it and Disable it and Let Windows Configure it for you or Vice Versa.
    HTH.
    Regards,
    nass
    www.nasstec.co.uk