    no connectivity. Network did not assign a network address to the computer.

    It suggests I contact the person who manages the network. That is me.

    Can anyone please help me with this challenge?
    JohnK, Aug 25, 2008

  2. Hi
    Try to repress the fact that it worked before, think about it as a new
    installation.
    Go over all he Wireless variables and make sure that they are the same as
    the Wireless source.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 26, 2008

  3. JohnK

    Pavel A. Guest

    The "No Connectivity" message means simply that
    though the assosiation was successful and the
    link state is up ("connected"), an IP
    address can't be obtained from DHCP.
    This sometimes means problem with encryption
    settings.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Aug 26, 2008
  4. JohnK

    Ted Guest

    "JohnK" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Linksys Wireless G Router and a home network setup. There are 3
    >computers on the network and the other 2 work fine.
    >
    > My IBM Thinkpad laptop (XP SP3) has connected to the wireless network just
    > fine until a couple of days ago. Now I get a message on the PC that the
    > network is there and the signal strong but I also get the message: The
    > connection has limited or no connectivity.
    >
    > When I click on the details and click repair, it shuts down the link and
    > tries to reestablish the link and then gives the error message: Limited or
    > no connectivity. Network did not assign a network address to the
    > computer.
    >
    > It suggests I contact the person who manages the network. That is me.
    >
    > Can anyone please help me with this challenge?

    Did you get any IBM updates around the same time? I had some updates from
    them and it screwed up my wireless and USB ports. Ended up doing a system
    restore to get everything back. YMMV
    Ted
    Ted, Aug 26, 2008
  5. JohnK

    JohnK Guest

    Thanks for the response. I am not aware that I received any IBM updates. I
    will try the Restore to an earlier date.

    Since you have an IBM I'll ask another question though. But I can try and
    earlier Restore point and see what happens.

    When I initially set up my wireless, I just followed the suggested routine
    that came with a new laptop. Now, in order to access my wireless network, I
    have to go to change advanced settings, then click on let Windows manage my
    settings and then I can get to my network (before my latest problem).

    I assume there is some IBM wireless software that is running everytime I
    start up but I haven't been able to find it.

    JohnK, Aug 28, 2008
  6. JohnK

    JohnK Guest

    Thanks for the response. I will check my encryption settings.

    JohnK, Aug 28, 2008
  7. JohnK

    JohnK Guest

    Thanks for the response. It will take me awhile to check all this out.

    JohnK, Aug 28, 2008
  8. JohnK

    Ted Guest

    Letting Windows manage the connection should be sufficient. IBM uses IBM
    Access Connections located in the Start Menu under Access IBM. You also
    might check for the latest driver for your wireless card on the IBM web
    site.
    Ted

    Ted, Aug 28, 2008
  9. JohnK

    JohnK Guest

    As it turned out, with the help of Linksys, I had to change back from a 128
    byte code to a 64 byte security code.

    Thanks for your response.

    JohnK, Sep 17, 2008
  10. JohnK

    JohnK, Sep 17, 2008
  11. JohnK

    JohnK, Sep 17, 2008
  12. JohnK

    smlunatick Guest

    On Sep 17, 4:06 pm, "JohnK" <> wrote:
    > As it turned out, with the help of Linksys, I had to change back from a 128
    > byte code to a 64 byte security code.
    >
    > "Ted" <> wrote in message

    > > Letting Windows manage the connection should be sufficient.  IBM uses IBM
    > > Access Connections located in the Start Menu under Access IBM.  You also
    > > might check for the latest driver for your wireless card on the IBM web
    > > site.
    > > Ted

    > > "JohnK" <> wrote in message
    > >> Thanks for the response.  I am not aware that I received any IBM updates.
    > >> I will try the Restore to an earlier date.

    > >> Since you have an IBM I'll ask another question though. But I can try and
    > >> earlier Restore point and see what happens.

    > >> When I initially set up my wireless, I just followed the suggested
    > >> routine that came with a new laptop.  Now, in order to access my wireless
    > >> network, I have to go to change advanced settings, then click on let
    > >> Windows manage my settings and then I can get to my network (before my
    > >> latest problem).

    > >> I assume there is some IBM wireless software that is running everytime I
    > >> start up but I haven't been able to find it.

    > >> "Ted" <> wrote in message

    Do you happen to have some type of enhanced Internet security,
    firewall or anti-virus software? These now must be told to trust the
    network SSID name before letting the "protected" PC onto the wireless
    network.
    smlunatick, Sep 17, 2008