    computer will connect with no problem! This routine must be done everytime
    she want's to connect...there's GOT to be an easier way!! Thanks to all for
    any help! Happy New Year!!
    =?Utf-8?B?Ym93OTI1?=, Dec 30, 2006

  2. Hi
    Check the system to make sure that it is not using both the original
    Wireless Utility that came with the Laptop and Windows Zero Configuration.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 30, 2006

  3. thanks for the quick reply! I should add this computer can connect to
    unsecure wireless networks without a problem. (I run wep on the home
    network). I don't know if that makes a difference...

    =?Utf-8?B?Ym93OTI1?=, Dec 30, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Ym93OTI1?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Does your netgear router have the latest firmware? If so, you may want to go
    into the properties for the wireless card and try disabling all power save
    features. It's possible this will help.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Dec 30, 2006
  5. Thanks for the reply...just tried all that to no avail..aarrgghhh! lol Im
    open to more ideas!

    =?Utf-8?B?Ym93OTI1?=, Dec 31, 2006
  6. Hi
    Let me recap, when the security is Off, the Wireless on this computer works
    as expected. However, when you configure it with WEP it displays the above
    "peculiar" behavior.

    I assume that you are using WEP because your system does not support WPA.

    If you already went through the motions of downloading and installing the
    latest firmware on the Router, the latest Drivers for the Wireless Client
    card, and it still does the same, it might be time for new hardware. You
    did not provide the name and model numbers of your Wireless devices, so, in
    general Old WEP device (that could not be upgraded to WPA) are known to have
    a variety of issues, and WEP is not a very well secure encryption to begin
    with.

    If your Router does support WPA, as a first step, buy a New Wireless card
    that supports it too, might be that it will solve the problem.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 31, 2006