    Iam using aioe.org for posting to ng's but it has some limitations I don't
    like. Alternative free news servers?

    Rolf
    Rolf, Nov 21, 2008

  2. Rolf

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Rolf
    <> wrote:

    > Iam using aioe.org for posting to ng's but it has some limitations I
    > don't like. Alternative free news servers?

    Knowing what limitations you're trying to avoid would help people know
    what to suggest to you.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Nov 21, 2008

  3. Rolf

    Tony Guest

    Now what would a guy from Norway need with a free news server? We suckers from
    CanaDUH have no choice but you do. Rolf is spelt Ralph over here.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Nov 21, 2008
  4. Rolf

    elaich Guest

    Rolf <> wrote in

    > Iam using aioe.org for posting to ng's but it has some limitations I
    > don't like. Alternative free news servers?
    >
    > Rolf

    motzarella.org

    A lot of people automatically killfile posts from aioe.org because it is a
    known troll haven.
    elaich, Nov 21, 2008
  5. Rolf

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:59:27 -0500, Tony <>
    wrote:

    >Now what would a guy from Norway need with a free news server? We suckers from
    >CanaDUH have no choice but you do. Rolf is spelt Ralph over here.

    Really? How's come then I am reading your trash and you're reading
    mine?

    I wasn't aware that canucks had installed a fence around their country
    so that the internet or usenet was blocked.
    richard, Nov 21, 2008
  6. richard <> parented this using

    > On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:59:27 -0500, Tony <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Now what would a guy from Norway need with a free news server? We
    >>suckers from CanaDUH have no choice but you do. Rolf is spelt Ralph over
    >>here.

    > Really? How's come then I am reading your trash and you're reading
    > mine?
    >
    > I wasn't aware that canucks had installed a fence around their country
    > so that the internet or usenet was blocked.

    I wish the Can00kies would get their own usenets and stay out of ours.

    --

    I'm Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , & I got milk. (|^;

    http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2008/11/6haynes.html

    Repent, the end is near! So... smoke'em if you got'em.
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 21, 2008
  7. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    On 21 Nov 2008 14:27:20 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

    > In news: Rolf
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Iam using aioe.org for posting to ng's but it has some limitations I
    >> don't like. Alternative free news servers?

    > Knowing what limitations you're trying to avoid would help people know
    > what to suggest to you.

    That's easy: Today, after not having used aioe for two days, my first entry
    was rejected due to 'too many lines quoted'. So I removed most of the quote
    and tried to resend the msg, but got 'too many postings from (this url)' or
    words to that effect.

    I know from before that there is a limit to how many lines of quites are
    accepted, and also that I cannot send to many msgs the same day, (or
    session.)

    There may be other limitations, but so far I have not been bothered by any
    others.
    Rolf, Nov 21, 2008
  8. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:59:27 -0500, Tony wrote:

    > Now what would a guy from Norway need with a free news server? We suckers from
    > CanaDUH have no choice but you do. Rolf is spelt Ralph over here.
    >
    > Rolf wrote:
    >
    >> Iam using aioe.org for posting to ng's but it has some limitations I don't
    >> like. Alternative free news servers?
    >>
    >> Rolf

    Hi Tony,

    My ISP offers a news server and it allows me to use and to post to 24h---,
    but he has been unable to allow posting to talk orgins. It used to work
    some years ago, but since then no complaints have helped, they seem to
    think that the problem lies beyond their control.

    I guess they mean "we don't care to do anything about it because so few
    people (me only?) in Scandinavia cares about t.o."

    I used to subscribe to NEWS.universal.net but I try to keep my expenses
    down.
    Rolf, Nov 21, 2008
  9. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:21:24 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Rolf wrote:
    >> Iam using aioe.org for posting to ng's but it has some limitations I
    >> don't like. Alternative free news servers?

    > September Palisade alt.free.newsservers list
    >
    > AIOE http://news.aioe.org/
    > Albasani http://albasani.net/index.html.en
    > CNNTP http://www.cnntp.org/cnntp
    > ETT http://news.ett.com.ua/
    > Motzarella http://motzarella.org/
    > Solani http://news.solani.org/
    > Tornevall http://news.tornevall.net/
    > Usenet4all http://www.usenet4all.se (blocks all posts from Google)
    >

    > There's additional information at Sebastien Willemijn's site Annex 2
    > http://80.247.230.136/nntpeng.htm ANNEX 2: My list of open NNTP servers:

    Thak you Mike.

    For all of you: My problem is that my ISP's news server (news.c2i.net)
    doesn't handle my posting to talk origins, otherwise I can read and post to
    all ng's that I use; but have to use aioe for t.o.
    Rolf, Nov 21, 2008
  10. Rolf

    Tony Guest

    We lost all our newsgroups back in the days of Dos 5.0. Canada if a fuckhole of a
    country when it comes to internet service. Either you pay more and still get
    FROGthrottled on the binaries or use free text news servers.

    richard wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:59:27 -0500, Tony <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Now what would a guy from Norway need with a free news server? We suckers from
    > >CanaDUH have no choice but you do. Rolf is spelt Ralph over here.

    > Really? How's come then I am reading your trash and you're reading
    > mine?
    >
    > I wasn't aware that canucks had installed a fence around their country
    > so that the internet or usenet was blocked.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper manners

    realm of understandability

    Tony, Nov 21, 2008
  11. Rolf

    Tony Guest

    You're thinking of that cheesebrain Chuckcar who killfiles anyone who
    disagrees with him on usenet. He posts and replies from motzarella. His hard
    drive will barely hold his killfile list.

    Tony, Nov 21, 2008
  12. Blinky the Shark, Nov 21, 2008
  13. Rolf

    Cork Soaker Guest

    Rolf wrote:
    > On 21 Nov 2008 14:27:20 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:
    >
    >> In news: Rolf
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Iam using aioe.org for posting to ng's but it has some limitations I
    >>> don't like. Alternative free news servers?

    >> Knowing what limitations you're trying to avoid would help people know
    >> what to suggest to you.

    > That's easy: Today, after not having used aioe for two days, my first entry
    > was rejected due to 'too many lines quoted'. So I removed most of the quote
    > and tried to resend the msg, but got 'too many postings from (this url)' or
    > words to that effect.
    >
    > I know from before that there is a limit to how many lines of quites are
    > accepted, and also that I cannot send to many msgs the same day, (or
    > session.)
    >
    > There may be other limitations, but so far I have not been bothered by any
    > others.

    Motzarella
    Cork Soaker, Nov 21, 2008
  14. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> skrev i melding
    > Rolf wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> September Palisade alt.free.newsservers list

    >>> There's additional information at Sebastien Willemijn's site

    >> Thak you Mike.

    > YW.
    >
    >> For all of you: My problem is that my ISP's news server (news.c2i.net)
    >> doesn't handle my posting to talk origins, otherwise I can read and
    >> post to all ng's that I use; but have to use aioe for t.o.

    > talk.origins is a moderated group and the news provider has to handle it
    > accordingly.
    >
    > The t.o faq is posted twice a month to the ng; here's the most recent
    > one:
    >
    > From: David Iain Greig
    > Newsgroups: talk.origins
    > Subject: [FAQ] Moderation and Posting to Talk.Origins
    > Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 00:00:00 -0500 (EST)
    >
    > snurled GG link http://snipr.com/68un3
    >
    > t.o is missing its charter, maybe that causes a problem for your
    > newsprovider.

    I don't think I quite understand the 'missing its charter' bit. Could you
    please explain to me what it actually means in terms of concrete causation?
    I have no idea about what the purpose of or what such a charter actually
    contains, except I guess it is some kind of document that regulate any
    particular newsgroup's terms of operation and what rules it/he is required
    to follow.

    Rolf

    <

    Rolf, Nov 22, 2008
  15. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> skrev i melding
    > Rolf wrote:

    >>> talk.origins is a moderated group and the news provider has to handle
    >>> it accordingly.

    > If a newsserver's admin doesn't have a ng properly configured for the
    > moderation process, you can read the messages on the newsserver, but when
    > you post your messages your provider's newsserver doesn't properly channel
    > them thru' the moderation process and so they don't get posted
    > successfully to the newsgroup. As a result you would have to use another
    > different newsserver (which handles the group correctly) to get your
    > messages moderated and posted to the group.
    >
    >>> The t.o faq is posted twice a month to the ng; here's the most recent
    >>> one:

    > I gave you a link to the faq so that you would read it. There is a lot of
    > information in there including a link to a lengthy explanation of the
    > charter subject.
    >
    >>> Subject: [FAQ] Moderation and Posting to Talk.Origins

    >>> snurled GG link http://snipr.com/68un3
    >>>
    >>> t.o is missing its charter, maybe that causes a problem for your
    >>> newsprovider.
    >>>

    >> I don't think I quite understand the 'missing its charter' bit. Could
    >> you please explain to me what it actually means in terms of concrete
    >> causation?

    > Read the webpage explanation http://www.ediacara.org/~to/charter.html
    >
    >> I have no idea about what the purpose of or what such a
    >> charter actually contains, except I guess it is some kind of document
    >> that regulate any particular newsgroup's terms of operation and what
    >> rules it/he is required to follow.

    > Different newsserver admins have different policies about how they admin.
    > Different admins have different degrees of competence at running a
    > newsserver. It appears to me that your newsadmin doesn't know that t.o is
    > moderated; that doesn't strike me as very competent. If you want to help
    > the admin handle the group properly, you should first read the faq at the
    > link and then give it to the admin and tell the admin that the group t.o
    > is moderated.
    >
    > Then the admin can make the necessary adjustments for a moderated group.
    > By giving them the faq, then you also provide advance attention to the
    > possibilities of what might happen if your admin has certain requirements
    > for adding groups which have to do with the process of establishing groups
    > in the big 8 with a process.
    >
    > Some other admins handle the management of groups differently. I can't
    > predict how your news admin handles its groups.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    I tried reading the moderator's post but I suppose it went over my head.
    But I will study it again, and your reply too and try to get things as
    straight as I can so I can approach my ISP and perhaps tell them what I
    think they should have known or found out themselves. Again, I thank you for
    your effort to help me!
    Rolf, Nov 22, 2008
  16. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> skrev i melding
    > Rolf wrote:
    >
    >> Iam using aioe.org for posting to ng's but it has some
    >> limitations I don't like. Alternative free news servers?

    > http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html
    >

    > --
    > Blinky
    > Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
    > Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

    It looked so good - until I tried posting:

    Outlook Express kan ikke sende meldingen. Emne '[OT] Testing Motzarella
    server', Konto: 'nntp.motzarella.org', Server: 'nntp.motzarella.org',
    Protokoll: NNTP, Svar fra server: '441 Postings to "talk.origins" are not
    allowed here', Port: 119, Sikker (SSL): Nei, Serverfeil: 441, Feilkode:
    0x800CCCA9

    Rolf
    Rolf, Nov 24, 2008
  17. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    "Rolf" <> skrev i melding

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> skrev i melding
    >> Rolf wrote:
    >>
    >>> Iam using aioe.org for posting to ng's but it has some
    >>> limitations I don't like. Alternative free news servers?

    >> http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html
    >>

    >> --
    >> Blinky
    >> Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
    >> Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

    > It looked so good - until I tried posting:
    >
    > Outlook Express kan ikke sende meldingen. Emne '[OT] Testing Motzarella
    > server', Konto: 'nntp.motzarella.org', Server: 'nntp.motzarella.org',
    > Protokoll: NNTP, Svar fra server: '441 Postings to "talk.origins" are not
    > allowed here', Port: 119, Sikker (SSL): Nei, Serverfeil: 441, Feilkode:
    > 0x800CCCA9
    >
    > Rolf

    I got one step further:

    Outlook Express kan ikke sende meldingen. Emne '[OT] Testing Motzarella
    server', Konto: 'nntp.motzarella.org', Server: 'nntp.motzarella.org',
    Protokoll: NNTP, Svar fra server: '501 Bad AUTHINFO param', Port: 119,
    Sikker (SSL): Nei, Serverfeil: 501, Feilkode: 0x800CCC18

    I had a problem with the keyboard, the Caps lock function behaved funny so I
    had to reboot the machine, but it looks as I have some kind of problem with
    the password?

    Will look into it again tomorrow, bedtime here now :)
    Rolf, Nov 24, 2008
  18. Rolf wrote:
    > "Rolf" <> skrev i melding
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> skrev i melding

    >>> http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Blinky
    >>> Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >>> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
    >>> Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

    >> It looked so good - until I tried posting:
    >>
    >> Outlook Express kan ikke sende meldingen. Emne '[OT] Testing Motzarella
    >> server', Konto: 'nntp.motzarella.org', Server: 'nntp.motzarella.org',
    >> Protokoll: NNTP, Svar fra server: '441 Postings to "talk.origins" are not
    >> allowed here', Port: 119, Sikker (SSL): Nei, Serverfeil: 441, Feilkode:
    >> 0x800CCCA9
    >>
    >> Rolf
    >>

    > I got one step further:
    >
    > Outlook Express kan ikke sende meldingen. Emne '[OT] Testing Motzarella
    > server', Konto: 'nntp.motzarella.org', Server: 'nntp.motzarella.org',
    > Protokoll: NNTP, Svar fra server: '501 Bad AUTHINFO param', Port: 119,
    > Sikker (SSL): Nei, Serverfeil: 501, Feilkode: 0x800CCC18
    >
    > I had a problem with the keyboard, the Caps lock function behaved funny so I
    > had to reboot the machine, but it looks as I have some kind of problem with
    > the password?
    >
    > Will look into it again tomorrow, bedtime here now :)

    Some error codes:

    2.4.3. General Responses

    The following is a list of general response codes that may be sent by
    the NNTP server. These are not specific to any one command, but may
    be returned as the result of a connection, a failure, or some unusual
    condition.

    In general, 1xx codes may be ignored or displayed as desired; code
    200 or 201 is sent upon initial connection to the NNTP server
    depending upon posting permission; code 400 will be sent when the
    NNTP server discontinues service (by operator request, for example);
    and 5xx codes indicate that the command could not be performed for
    some unusual reason.

    100 help text
    190
    through
    199 debug output

    200 server ready - posting allowed
    201 server ready - no posting allowed

    400 service discontinued

    500 command not recognized
    501 command syntax error
    502 access restriction or permission denied
    503 program fault - command not performed

    More here:
    http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/functions/nntp/rfc977/

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/167131
    §ñühw¤£f, Nov 24, 2008
  19. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    I don't know what my problem is. I was able to download messages but was
    unable to post messages. I deleted the account and installed it again, but
    now I can't even download messages; I get a msg saying I am not logged in.

    Here is my configuration:

    GENERAL: Rolf

    Org:

    E-mail: snulbug.hotmail.com

    Include: unchecked

    SERVER:

    nntp.motzarella.org

    Must log in: checked

    Account: Rolf

    Password ********

    Remember password: checked

    News (NNTP) 119

    SSL unchecked.

    The e-mail address I use is not the same as the address I used
    () when registering with motzarella.org

    I've also seen the name "rolf.aalberg" used as account name - I don't know
    how it got there but it makes no difference.
    Rolf, Nov 25, 2008
  20. Rolf wrote:

    > I don't know what my problem is. I was able to download messages but
    > was unable to post messages. I deleted the account and installed it
    > again, but now I can't even download messages; I get a msg saying I
    > am not logged in.

    > E-mail: snulbug.hotmail.com

    Is that what you entered?
    Have you tried: ?