Limit Thunderbird to only one instance running at a time?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Z, Apr 22, 2005.

  1. Z

    Z Guest

    Is there any way to limit Thunderbird (1.0.3) to only run one instance
    of itself?

    In other words, what I want is: if I have TB already running and try to
    start it again - either by dbl clicking on the icon or Start > Programs
    > ... or by dbl clicking on the account in the left-hand pane, a new

    instance of it won't start.

    Can this be done?

    I sometimes dbl click on the newsgroup name underneath the nntp acct and
    this starts a new instance TB and a new connection to my ISP's nntp
    server - which then causes me to exceed my ISP's max connections. Once
    that happens, I have to wait about an hour for the connection at the
    nntp server end to time out and let me reconnect.

    If I could configure TB to not start a new instance of itself, that
    problem would go away.
    Z, Apr 22, 2005

  2. Z

    Z Guest

    Z wrote:
    > Is there any way to limit Thunderbird (1.0.3) to only run one instance
    > of itself?
    >
    > In other words, what I want is: if I have TB already running and try to
    > start it again - either by dbl clicking on the icon or Start > Programs
    > > ... or by dbl clicking on the account in the left-hand pane, a new

    > instance of it won't start.
    >
    > Can this be done?
    >
    > I sometimes dbl click on the newsgroup name underneath the nntp acct and
    > this starts a new instance TB and a new connection to my ISP's nntp
    > server - which then causes me to exceed my ISP's max connections. Once
    > that happens, I have to wait about an hour for the connection at the
    > nntp server end to time out and let me reconnect.
    >
    > If I could configure TB to not start a new instance of itself, that
    > problem would go away.

    No ideas at all?
    Z, May 2, 2005

  3. Z

    Peng Guest

    On 04/22/05 11:52, Z wrote:
    > Is there any way to limit Thunderbird (1.0.3) to only run one instance
    > of itself?
    >
    > In other words, what I want is: if I have TB already running and try to
    > start it again - either by dbl clicking on the icon or Start > Programs
    > > ... or by dbl clicking on the account in the left-hand pane, a new

    > instance of it won't start.
    >
    > Can this be done?
    >
    > I sometimes dbl click on the newsgroup name underneath the nntp acct and
    > this starts a new instance TB and a new connection to my ISP's nntp
    > server - which then causes me to exceed my ISP's max connections. Once
    > that happens, I have to wait about an hour for the connection at the
    > nntp server end to time out and let me reconnect.
    >
    > If I could configure TB to not start a new instance of itself, that
    > problem would go away.

    I'm not sure if it'll work, but try the No New Window on Double Click
    extension.

    <URL:http://www.chuonthis.com/extensions/nnwodc.php>

    Peng, May 2, 2005